IGNORED

Try working on the basics first?

RayG
Note: This thread is 3675 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Like most of you, I observe and learn about people.

It's interesting.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What's really annoying is you guys complaining about others guys at the golf range while I'm sitting in my house while it's 25* outside and the grass is covered in dirty snow.

What I wouldn't give to be at the range watching some dork machine gun 50 drives off the range tees right now. :cry:

Joe Paradiso

What's really annoying is you guys complaining about others guys at the golf range while I'm sitting in my house while it's 25* outside and the grass is covered in dirty snow.

What I wouldn't give to be at the range watching some dork machine gun 50 drives off the range tees right now.

+1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Or the snobs commenting on the snobs commenting on the snobs....

Stuck in an infinite loop???

;-)

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

What I wouldn't give to be at the range watching some dork machine gun 50 drives off the range tees right now.

My thoughts exactly

• Administrator

My thoughts exactly

Oh, c'mon. You just spent a week here, you can't complain that much! :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Oh, c'mon. You just spent a week here, you can't complain that much! :

I can... http://www.businessinsider.com/second-polar-vortex-returns-to-the-east-coast-2014-2?utm_source=androidapp&utm;_medium=referral

• Administrator
I can... http://www.businessinsider.com/second-polar-vortex-returns-to-the-east-coast-2014-2?utm_source=androidapp&utm;_medium=referral

No wonder Ramis decided this was as good a week as any…

Oops. This isn't the "Winter Depression Thread." So…

:offtopic:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes at the range I do that. I will swing away for awhile and spray balls around like a Claymore. Even when I do that I'm working on some aspect of my swing.

Working to increase SS while maintaining Dispersion. I am getting there too, I drive the ball better and farther than my regular threesome and they are much younger and have been playing decades longer than I have. Sometimes there may be a method to the madness.

In my bag....

Bombtech Grenade driver. 10.5* Aldila DVS60 stiff, 45"

Ping i20 irons, ProjectX5.5. 5 thru PW.

Tour Edge 3 Hybrid, Adams A7 4Hybrid

Titelist SM4 52-8. 56-12

Cleveland RTX 60-12 wedge.

Tour Edge xcg5 15* 3 Wood

Cheap crappy Wilson putter that works as well as anything for me.

It's a work in progress, I've only been playing for going on two years or so.

I have to admit I have some bad practice habits at the range myself. I tend to go through my bucket fairly quickly. Although, towards the end of last summer, I've been trying to concentrate on using all the clubs in my bag, starting with the wedges and working my way down. Which has done wonders for my iron play, but I usually don't get to hit many with my driver, which is the club I have the most trouble with.

But I still find myself going through my bucket within 20 minutes.

I've also made sure that I go to the practice green immediately after my range session and work on my putting for about 30-45 minutes.

As for the original topic of this thread, I do find it important to work on basics and fundamentals first, otherwise your just reinforcing bad habits.

In my :tmade: Burner Golf Bag

:tmade:R1 Black Driver 10.5 degrees

:tmade:RBZ 3-Wood

:tmade:Burner Superfast 2.0 3-hybrid

:tmade:Burner 2.0 irons 4-PW, AW, SW, LW

:tmade:Spiderblade putter

:adidas:Audizero Golf shoes

Most people don't know how to practice effectively or they just don't have the discipline. Which is why most never improve anymore than a negligible amount.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

I've always loved going to the range but since taking lessons I've come to realize I really never was actually "practicing" before. I think the issue for most high handicappers like myself is you really can't effectively self-diagnose your swing faults so doing random drills at the range may not even help. Not that I think hitting balls at the range is a bad thing in it of itself, but I do think most people would be much better served to have someone who knows what they're talking about look at their swing first first.

Someone gave me a tip a while back to help take some of the boredom or repetition out of range work. It's a good drill to keep you thinking and I've found it useful. Instead of warming up and then gradually working my way through the bag, just do your warm up and then "play" your local course (or a course you know well) at the range in your head... So, you're visualing the first tee and hitting your driver. Once you hit it 320 yards like we all do ;) then take out your PW and try to hit the first green. You obviously don't need to "hole out" That might be a bit odd if you started putting at the range :) It helps me slow down my range work and I'm visualising a hole ahead of me so it focuses me on landing zones etc. I must start to do this more often tbh. I probably only do it 5-10% of my range time. I struggle to bring my range game to the course a lot of the time. Most of my range work involves what people would class as "good" range work like working my way through the bag... I never reach for the driver cold, in fact, I leave it at home half the time... But I think working through the bag allows me to get into a "groove" that I just don't get on the course. I may need to take that advice and incorporate it more often.

Someone gave me a tip a while back to help take some of the boredom or repetition out of range work. It's a good drill to keep you thinking and I've found it useful. Instead of warming up and then gradually working my way through the bag, just do your warm up and then "play" your local course (or a course you know well) at the range in your head... So, you're visualing the first tee and hitting your driver. Once you hit it 320 yards like we all do ;) then take out your PW and try to hit the first green. You obviously don't need to "hole out" That might be a bit odd if you started putting at the range :) It helps me slow down my range work and I'm visualising a hole ahead of me so it focuses me on landing zones etc. I must start to do this more often tbh. I probably only do it 5-10% of my range time. I struggle to bring my range game to the course a lot of the time. Most of my range work involves what people would class as "good" range work like working my way through the bag... I never reach for the driver cold, in fact, I leave it at home half the time... But I think working through the bag allows me to get into a "groove" that I just don't get on the course. I may need to take that advice and incorporate it more often.

That might have been me- I've given that little tip a couple of times. I (we) will use it mostly when there is a crowd at the range and there isn't 2 empty stalls next to each other to be found when my buddy and I go ranging.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 3675 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!