IGNORED

Driver Loft...Hype?

Heat
Note: This thread is 6062 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a 90 mph swing speed with a driver and I used a 9.5 degree loft, some articles I have been reading suggest that I should use at least an 11 degree driver to maximize distance and carry. I think I hit the ball very high with a driver already, how many yards am I really losing when I used my 9.5. It can't be much more than a few yards can it? I drive it around 230 consistently. Is it about forgiveness? Because I would not think 1 degree would make the difference between a slice and a fade..

Usually use NXT Extreme's or HX Hot's
Soon to be Home Track : Grey Silo GC (71.5 / 128)

Those numbers that you read everywhere are kind of generic. It really depends on many more variables than swing speed. You can give 10 golfers with the same swing speed the same driver and they are all going to launch it at a different angle. Your best bet, if you really want the right driver for you, is to find a qualified fitter with a launch monitor. Its really the only way to know what is going to perform best for your swing.
In My Bag
Driver: R5 TP 9.5 Diamana
3 Wood: V-Steel 15* UST V2
5 Wood: R7 Steel
Hybrids: Heavenwood 20* UST V2 Rescue Mid 22* UST V2Irons: RAC LT2 5-9 Project X FlightedWedges: RAC Black TP 47* 51* 55* 60*Putter: White Hot 2 BallBalls: One Black

Here are some more generic numbers for you. As you notice it doesn't specify what driver loft to use because as bwinger mentioned and I agree, not everyone with a 10* driver will have the same launch angle, so you need to spend some QT on a launch monitor with a competent fitter.

Attachment 517

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have a 92-100 mph swing speed, i use a 9.5 and its perfect, 11 Degrees is going to be wayyy to much for you. Id say max you should get is a 10.5. If your ball already goes high why get a higher lofted driver? If you want to get your ball down, try adjusting your swing.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I don't put much stock in the whole launch angle stuff. I hit my 983e 230-240 in the air with up to 20-40 yards of roll. With the 983k I get a higher launch, but roughly the same carry and little roll. I guess my point is that I like to maximize my roll rather than carry. I've tried many many drivers as I'm sure we all have, and my carry does not differ by more than 10 yards or so. For me, to hell with maximizing launch angle give me the extra 25 yards of roll with a low spinning head.

Driver:Titleist 905T 10.5, Aldila NV 65S
Fairway: Titleist 906f2 18, Aldila NV 75S
Hybrid: Titleist 585H 21, Aldila NV85S
Irons: Titleist 735, DG R300
Wedges: Titleist Vokey 52, 56, 60 DG S200Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #8

I hit a 10* driver and hit it very low with just enough backspin to stay in the air. I am same with 3 wood, and pretty much everything (inc pitching). It may have something to do with ball position
Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

I hit a 10* driver and hit it very low with just enough backspin to stay in the air. I am same with 3 wood, and pretty much everything (inc pitching). It may have something to do with ball position

yeah that's probably

1. your hands are ahead of the ball, delofting the clubface 2. ball is too far back in your stance (closer to your right foot for a righty), causing #1 3. really flat swing plane my friend is just the opposite... he hits everything rediculously high... he drove a green with his 3-wood and it checked up within a couple feet..

XTD Pro - 9.5* - GD YSQ
GS Tour - 15* -GD Red Ice
Rescue TP - 17* - Fujikura TP
Idea Pro Gold - 20* - Mitsubishi JavlnFX
MP-30, 4-PW - Standard Lofts / 2* flat - TT DG RAC Z TP (54*/10*) X-Forged (60*/10*)Scotty Cameron TeI3 - 35"

I think what's been learned from launch monitors is that generic recommendations are almost worthless.

The monitor tells you your launch angle and spin, which is a result of many things, to varying degrees, including club factors (head and shaft), ball factors, and the path/angle of approach of your particular swing. These things lead to a certain dynamic loft at impact, etc. etc.

The ball data will tell you whether you need more or less loft.

Ignore what you read about recommendations and just get tested, and buy the driver that fits your swing, and works for you on the range.

Also remember that for an average golfer with a 90-100 mph driver swing speed, the difference in yardage between an "optimized" driver and one that's slightly less than optimal might only be 3-4 yards. So, while you want to get as close to optimal as possible, the driver you hit solidly on the range should be the one you end up buying.

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

I don't put much stock in the whole launch angle stuff. I hit my 983e 230-240 in the air with up to 20-40 yards of roll. With the 983k I get a higher launch, but roughly the same carry and little roll. I guess my point is that I like to maximize my roll rather than carry. I've tried many many drivers as I'm sure we all have, and my carry does not differ by more than 10 yards or so. For me, to hell with maximizing launch angle give me the extra 25 yards of roll with a low spinning head.

I respectfully disagree, not every hole, course or playing conditions will yield 20+ yards of roll. I know I'm not alone when I say this but it's all about the carry. For example a hole that plays uphill will obviously not roll as far when the ball lands, nor will a wet fairway, so why not get the most carry in those situations?

But I am happy for you in finding a method that works for you, it just may not work for others.

I think generally, amateurs tend to use too little loft with the driver. However, I use a 10.5 now and I don't care what the chart says that's the highest driver loft I am willing to play. Also, generic numbers are pretty much useless. Getting fit for your swing is the way to go.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

You gotta try the 12 degree 'yo. It's like cheatin'.

Nike Sweet 16

Callaway Steelhead Plus 19*

Srixon I-701 3-P

Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 52* & 58*

Cleveland VP Milled No. 3

I would look at other lofts if you feel you are losing distance with your loft. If its already going high with the 9.5, you might want to demo a shorter club say 44.75 or 44.5 as you demo the lofts to see if better ball contact could be obtained to maximise loft and distance not just loft with shorter distance.

I'm about a 90-92 swing speed and use a 13.5° Ping G5. It's worked out well so far, I really like it. I've hit my dad's 10.5° Cobra F-Speed and I hit it as high as my G5, actually. I think it def. helps on consistency though.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I think loft is great, I play an 11 degree loft stiff flex that can cut corners like crazy. I have a 44" shaft and regularly drive with roll 250-285 when the hole permits an 80-90% swing. I don't feel I am losing any distance because of loft but I'd be interested to see the results of my driver on a launch monitor. Last time my swing speed was measured and I was swinging well it was 102mph, last time I went to golf galaxy i couldn't get it beyond 95.

What's In The Bag
Driver: TM Burner stiff
3i Cleveland Hibore Hybrid
3-6: MX-23
7-PW: MP-60 Project X 5.5SW: Golden Bear hybridLW/GW Cleveland 60* and Tour Edge 50*Putter: two bar rifle malletBall: NXT TourHome Course: Raintree CC 70.7/126 North 71/130 Southhttp://stink.net

I respectfully disagree, not every hole, course or playing conditions will yield 20+ yards of roll. I know I'm not alone when I say this but it's all about the carry. For example a hole that plays uphill will obviously not roll as far when the ball lands, nor will a wet fairway, so why not get the most carry in those situations?

I agree, carry distance is king and that is what you want as your measure for distance. Its much safer to go over trouble then it is to hope to hit the back end of it a roll through.

If you're getting 30yrd of roll out of your driver conistantly then you are losing distance. The ball will go further in the air then it ever will on the ground. The air give much less resistance as compared to grass, even against the wind it still offers less resistance then the shortest of cut fairways. Now there is a difference between a good high ball and one that just baloons up. Those are usually a result of too much spin, high launch with little spin will result in the longest distance. Just go to the launch monitor, you may not have the funds to squeeze every little last yrd out of your drives but it could be as simple as a ball change.

i see, im hitting my driver well so im not going to fuss about this

Usually use NXT Extreme's or HX Hot's
Soon to be Home Track : Grey Silo GC (71.5 / 128)

Also remember that for an average golfer with a 90-100 mph driver swing speed, the difference in yardage between an "optimized" driver and one that's slightly less than optimal might only be 3-4 yards. So, while you want to get as close to optimal as possible, the driver you hit solidly on the range should be the one you end up buying.

Here, here. This is close to the point I was trying to make. I think all these equipment fitting machines/statistics are just a tool to help you make a decision. And, it is a tool that does not apply well for some individuals. I can't tell you how many times I've hit in a simulator and the salesperson starts telling me about spin, launch angle, blah blah and then I pick a shaft or club head that is supposed to lower one of those stats and instead it raises it. I'm not saying these statistics are total BS. But, whatever feels well and performs on the course is what I'm going to use. I'll even sacrifice a few yards.

One other thought. We all know the driver swing can be very different than the iron swing. This fact, coupled with the length of the driver, provides for a lot of potential variability in the launch angle/spin rates within a person (both within a day and between days). This could be another cause for launch angle, spin stats to be misapplied.

Sure, it's obvious the ball rolls variably given certain conditions (uphill/wet). But carry is effected by the elements as well, mainly wind. I guess my main point was that I get almost the same carry with a lower launch angle driver, but a ton more roll. So, on average (most holes don't play uphill, and I don't play in terribly wet conditions often) I get more total distance - and the potential for some crazy distance (downhill or dry fairway). You and everyone else can sing all day long that it's all about the carry, but I just ain't listening.

Note: This thread is 6062 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!