IGNORED

Need advice on a new driver

kravi
Note: This thread is 3703 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I just got $300 in gift certificates to golfsmith, and am desperately in need of a new driver. I've been playing four a couple of years, and my driver is a 15 year old big bertha that doesn't fit. My irons, on the other hand, I bought last year and suit me very well.

So what I'm trying to figure out is what to do with my $300. Do I try to get a used driver and have it fitted and reshafted for me? Do I just test a bunch and buy one as is?

I'm on a tight budget, so I don't have much wiggle room beyond the $300.. Any advice on how best to spend my $300 on a driver would be appreciated.

--Me

Get a new driver. You can get something from last year for a good price. I think the R1 is going for $229 or something like that at golfsmith now.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah, they have a whole bunch of last year's models on sale for terrific savings. How important is it to get the driver fitted, however? I've never had fitted clubs. I'm just looking for a nice club that will last me a handful of years and grow with me as I grow as a golfer. Since I've been making consistent improvements (and spending the time to improve) I assume it is fairly safe to assume I will continue to do so.

--Me

I think getting fit is a good thing. But if you do some research you will see almost all driver heads preform pretty much the same. The shaft matters more than the head and by kknowing your swing speed and launch angle ect.. you should be able to figure it out on your own.Golfsmith should be able to help point you in the right direction. Besides anything will be better than a 15 year old club.

Still a few new driversavailable at $299, Nike Covert 2.0, Cleveland , Cobra Bio Cell, Cleveland Altitude, latest Wilson or Powebilt offerings have all tested well in various tests.

Or the likes of last years Cally X hot is well under your budget now and would leave you change for a number of boxes of balls. By most tests I read last year, this was the hot rod driver last year in most tests/ reviews and will have lost little or anything to the newer offerings and will be a decent advance from your old Bertha

To stick to your budget, I think you can go and hit a number of clubs in the store, and they will do a basic fitting for your. At least get you into the correct flex shaft and the chance to compare how the various clubs work for you.

Getting fitted is a good thing. But if you cant, golfsmith will do the basic fitting. Like they've said above, you can at least get the correct loft and flex which is a big part of the process. Swing as much as you can, there are a bunch of drivers under your budget, especially last year models and budget new models. However, don't be thrown off by the "older models", for the most part, theres not a whole bunch "new" for the last couple years. Have fun and good hunting.

Yeah, they have a whole bunch of last year's models on sale for terrific savings. How important is it to get the driver fitted, however? I've never had fitted clubs. I'm just looking for a nice club that will last me a handful of years and grow with me as I grow as a golfer. Since I've been making consistent improvements (and spending the time to improve) I assume it is fairly safe to assume I will continue to do so.

--Me

I really hate shopping at big box stores. Personally, I go to Golf Galaxy and pay to use their monitor for a "fitting" so that I can try new clubs. Then, I scour the internet (sites like DallasGolf, Global Golf, 3balls, etc.) and look for CRP clubs which can be 10-50% off of retail at times (obviously depending on manufacturer restrictions and age (value) of club). I did this for my Titleist AP1 712 irons that I just now purchased from DallasGolf. They're still $700 at big box stores, but I picked them up for $200 less at DallasGolf via a CRP.

Certified Return Products - often called "Open Box" items where consumers return clubs that they purchased, however security labels and/or the box have been opened.

I know this isn't helpful in your case, but in the future, ask for cash or a certificate to one of those online retailers! I hate to say avoid the 'Ma an' Pop shops.. but when it comes down to money, saving hundreds can make playing this expensive game a lot easier.

In any case, pay for a fitting for your driver and then use what is left to purchase what fits. Ideally, to save even more money, see if you can demo a few returned/used clubs and save even more money. I demoed the Titleist 913 D3 and had nearly identical numbers to my 910 D3. There was no reason to upgrade in my case. The point is that some of last year's models (and even going back 2-3 years) may fit you just fine and could also have a lot of mercy on your budget.

Thanks for the response, folks! I'm definitely leaning towards a slightly older model (which will be cheaper) so I can afford to have it properly fitted. I don't think, with my game, that the latest and greatest will show marked improvement on last year's latest and greatest, and getting something fitted will probably have a much larger impact than getting something slightly newer.

Outside of flex and loft, is it likely that shaft length will need to be tweaked? If so, does a place like golfsmith do that?

--Me

Golfsmith will if you ask. When I got my putter there they said all work on clubs purchased at golfsmith is free. Obviously you would need a new grip but that's not all that expensive.

Golfsmith will fit for free if you buy there club after the fitting if you go this way or have a person there help you read the monitor this is free with no obligation.

The question is not what is a good driver, all of them now days are great,  go try everyone for your self and find the one that fits you. How it sets up, how it looks, the way it sounds, feels, the confidence you have looking down at it. We are all different!

Me I tried every driver at Rodger Dunns they had until I found a few that I really liked, from there I sat on the monitor until I had the best driver for my swing, this took some time, I even went back a few times for this just to be sure. It is hard to walk into a place and just start hitting a ball with out a little warm up.

I did the same for my son we both play G25's not because they are Ping but because they fit our swing and we both liked the way they hit.

It sounds like you have more time then money and want to be sure of what you get spend the time before you spend the money, JMHO.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

Golfsmith will fit for free if you buy there club after the fitting if you go this way or have a person there help you read the monitor this is free with no obligation.

The question is not what is a good driver, all of them now days are great,  go try everyone for your self and find the one that fits you. How it sets up, how it looks, the way it sounds, feels, the confidence you have looking down at it. We are all different!

Me I tried every driver at Rodger Dunns they had until I found a few that I really liked, from there I sat on the monitor until I had the best driver for my swing, this took some time, I even went back a few times for this just to be sure. It is hard to walk into a place and just start hitting a ball with out a little warm up.

I did the same for my son we both play G25's not because they are Ping but because they fit our swing and we both liked the way they hit.

It sounds like you have more time then money and want to be sure of what you get spend the time before you spend the money, JMHO.

FYI there are a ton of like new drivers people bought because they were the latest and greatest with out ever thinking they would not like them. So look at the used racks and try them also they have deep discounts on a driver that a person played a few round and could not hit the ball like Tiger so they took it back.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

Thanks Hacker, your advice seems to fit my needs! I do have more time than money (at least in regards to golf), and I'm more interested in something that fits me right as compared to the latest and greatest. Barely used is also not a problem for me. I bought my putter used, and it has stood me in good stead.

--Me

Note: This thread is 3703 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!