IGNORED

Preferred Lies (@ Honda Classic and elsewhere)

impactswing
Note: This thread is 3660 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just happy I don't live in SFL so I don't have to deal with all those bad lies.

Didn't John Rollins have a bad lie at Torrey Pines a few years ago? He thought it was embedded, but they determined it wasn't his own pitchmark, so he didn't get relief. Too bad OP wasn't there to correct him; he might have won the tournament!

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never played in SFL but the lies in UA are usually not too bad except this time of the year. LA close to the gulf can be pretty bad when wet but they dry out fairly nicely when it's not raining. City courses in ST in the Chatt. area have the wettest conditions I've played. SKY had very nice fairways and all of the courses I played in MO both in the STL area and in NMO weren't bad.

P.S. The two courses I've played in NGA have waaaay too much slope to have very many wet spots.

I play in usga events in Sfl

They normally are preferred lies

Its a swamp Sfl

I've played a lot of golf in South Florida over the years, and I've never played lift, clean and place. We play for rmoney and, if I touched by ball, the guys I play with would ban me forever.

Bill M

lcp = lift clean and place.

but WTF does the acronym SFL stand for ??????

I *think* it's South Florida.

After this thread I have more ammo to go after my Wednesday group when they complain about a bad lie and ask to have it moved.   It's part of the game....   Let's just say that a down or bad lie when he doesn't think it's warranted is a high grievance.

—Adam

Over 30 years I played off scratch

U ask me what I am

I say lets play its scratch

Only time it changed the usga hit me with a +3 for a year shooting back to back 68's in a tourney on a course I played a lot

Tourney adjusted hc

Took a year for it to drop

Every one of this guys posts remind me of a series of Burma Shave signs.......................   (probably just dated myself!)

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

@impactswing , in the last 10 years on the PGA Tour, do you think the majority of the rounds in South Florida (Honda and Doral) have been played under LCP?

Didn't John Rollins have a bad lie at Torrey Pines a few years ago? He thought it was embedded, but they determined it wasn't his own pitchmark, so he didn't get relief. Too bad OP wasn't there to correct him; he might have won the tournament!

Simple answer, John Rollins isn't a knowledgeable golfer ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

lcp = lift clean and place.

but WTF does the acronym SFL stand for ??????

Semi Flooded Location?

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Semi Flooded Location?

South Florida

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

South Florida

Can't be.  Cause the place he plays, you get to lift, clean, and place all the time. ;-)

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Can't be.  Cause the place he plays, you get to lift, clean, and place all the time. ;-)

Self-delusional Fantasy Land?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Candy Mountain :dance:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Every one of this guys posts remind me of a series of Burma Shave signs.......................   (probably just dated myself!)

Except the Burma Shave signs sometimes had a good message. :-D

Proper distance to him was bunk

They pulled him out of some guy's trunk!

BURMA SHAVE

[quote name="saevel25" url="/t/72767/preferred-lies-honda-classic-and-elsewhere/0_100#post_956268"] Candy Mountain :dance: [/quote] Nah, that book is about American life during the Great Depression, the OP has made like eleventy-gazillion clams in SPAM (not that canned meat kind) industry and domain name squatting, he wouldn't be able to relate. I have heard it on good authority that the OPs hip action is so awesomely powerful that he can slam a revolving door! :bugout:

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Yeah - it's been a real trip though. Back to topic. I personally feel that preferred lies doesn't do much for you anyway. If it's really sloppy, the course declares it winter rules, or preferred lies. Which is fine by me. I've played enough places in rainy weather where it's valid. And in drought where you should be able to roll over to something better. But outside of that, during posting season it really is cheating. I generally don't have a problem with other people doing it. I have had a few bad breaks and a few of them people told me to move it (competitors) because our club generally doesn't mark areas unless it's tournaments. If I think it's GUR, I do. If it's marginal, or just rub of the green, I don't do it.

—Adam

Note: This thread is 3660 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!