IGNORED

Rate my divots !! Just to see how I'm doing.

Note: This thread is 3306 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Depends on how deep and soft the turf is.  I cannot hit a clean shot to save my life on a tight lie unless I take a bigger divot.  If the turf is fluffy, I "can" clip it perfectly, where it seems like I simply cut the grass.

That being said, my opinion is this.

Your divots seem a little deep, and a little left (I don't know if you are right/left handed or where the target is, or what shape of shot you're trying to hit).  If anyone gives you flack about digging in too deep, watch any tournament on any day, and look at the divots the pros take on their mid to short irons.  HUGE divots!

I don't look at it as a big deal either way but some pros take HUGE divots, some don't, and some sometimes do and sometimes don't.

Interesting conversation about divots in this conversation between Rory and Tiger between 30 and 40 seconds in this video.

That you are coming over the top and not swing down the target line. When you address the ball try a slight flare with your foot if you are a righty. Then if you divots goes to the right widen your stance and that another swing. Remember the stance should be should width. To narrow of a stance will create the over the top motion

That you are coming over the top and not swing down the target line. When you address the ball try a slight flare with your foot if you are a righty. Then if you divots goes to the right widen your stance and that another swing. Remember the stance should be should width. To narrow of a stance will create the over the top motion

He's a lefty. And I'm not sure that I would agree that a narrow stance will necessarily create an OTT motion. Nor will widening the stance necessarily fix the problem.

But since he's a lefty, all of this isn't particularly on topic.

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...

I really tried setting the ball up right behind the divots but for some reason no matter what I do it gets frustrating because the ball will just fall in the divot and i'll just get super annoyed. I know I'm a terrible person.

titleist.gif 910 9.5 Driver titleist.gif 910 F 3 Wood callaway.gif 2009 X Forged Irons 

titleist.gif  Wedges  Vokey 54 and 60    taylormade.gif  Putter Daddy Long Legs

Ball : Whatever the hell I find at my job as a cart guy.

I really tried setting the ball up right behind the divots but for some reason no matter what I do it gets frustrating because the ball will just fall in the divot and i'll just get super annoyed. I know I'm a terrible person.

It doesn't have to be exactly on the back edge. A half inch or so behind the divot....heck, even an inch is fine, and far preferable to random bomb craters. Kudos for continuing to make the effort! :beer:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

It doesn't have to be exactly on the back edge. A half inch or so behind the divot....heck, even an inch is fine, and far preferable to random bomb craters.

Kudos for continuing to make the effort!

I guess my other problem is when I hit a bad shank or I mishit the ball I'll just want to smack everyone on the range with my 7 so I just end up putting a ball wherever the hell I see an open space. Patience Patience Patience Patience

titleist.gif 910 9.5 Driver titleist.gif 910 F 3 Wood callaway.gif 2009 X Forged Irons 

titleist.gif  Wedges  Vokey 54 and 60    taylormade.gif  Putter Daddy Long Legs

Ball : Whatever the hell I find at my job as a cart guy.

I guess my other problem is when I hit a bad shank or I mishit the ball I'll just want to smack everyone on the range with my 7 so I just end up putting a ball wherever the hell I see an open space. Patience Patience Patience Patience

Of course, it's probably a good life skill to be able to maintain some perspective and control of yourself and your emotions generally, but that's definitely a skill you need to develop for the golf course.  If a bad mishit on the range makes you angry and disengaged enough you just throw a ball down wherever and smack at it, there is a 100% chance your mental game is costing you tons of strokes out on the course.  Calm, patient, smart, think only of the next shot, not past or future ones, etc...

Note this mental game stuff is something I've had to work hard on, and is still a struggle for me as well some days.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

• 11 months later...
  • Administrator

Little war going on Twitter right now…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Ok so now I'm totally conflicted....

Use a mat ;-)

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Little war going on Twitter right now…

</p>

Interesting, although it doesn't really seem like a war.  "Recovers faster" provides better hitting space for other people in two weeks (or whatever), but the strips provide better hitting space for other people today, as well as better hitting space for other people in 2 1/2 weeks (again, or whatever).

The strips still seem like the best option.

Seems clear, though, that the squares I used to make were very, very wrong. :8)

Seems clear, though, that the squares I used to make were very, very wrong. :8)

Yea, I used to be a block guy (still a blockhead :-P). I think I read somewhere that Ben Hogan could practice out of a piece of grass the size of a shoe box and I took that literally as make a box with your divots or something. It's not that I get a chance to practice on a grass range all that often, but it's not something I've ever been taught the proper way to do, nor has anyone ever corrected me on it. Never knew I was doing it wrong all this time.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 3306 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!