IGNORED

the no-backswing swing

Note: This thread is 4484 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Has anyone heard of this? I just saw it in my latest issue of Golf Magazine.

http://www.golf.com/golf/instruction...652866,00.html

I don't know if I like the idea of it, no matter the evidence of improved distance or whatnot.

Driver: r7 10.5*
3W: Black Ti
Irons: CG Gold
Wedges: 54*, Acuity 60*
Putter: Copperhead bladeBall: NXT-Tour

We were talking about this, buried in some other thread, but I can't remember which......

At any rate, I write it off as hokey. You'll never see me on the first tee, driver on my shoulder, waiting to swing like Griffey. It's sillyness. Maybe as a drill to fell the correct slot, but never in play.

Driver: Titleist 907D1
3W: 906F2 15
5W: Cobra SZ HS
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler 21
Irons: Taylormade Rac LT2 Wedges: Vokey SM 52 + 56 Putter: Some old piece of crap

I just saw it online yesterday and am definitely planning on doing some follow-up. I've done stuff like that for years when practicing, but had never really thought of taking it to the course.

Sounds like a good drill for the range, but tough for building a good over all tempo or lag in the downswing. It seems to me it is easier to keep the body in proper places if it rotates back and through on a continuous motion.

I'm sure that's just a joke article so they can see how many gullible hacks will try it on the range. Stack and Tilt, no backswing swing, AJ Bonar pronation station. All BS. Well, Bonar's stuff will work, but you have to have time to practice it and most of us hackers don't or we'd have low single digit handicaps.

Nike Sweet 16

Callaway Steelhead Plus 19*

Srixon I-701 3-P

Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 52* & 58*

Cleveland VP Milled No. 3

Too funny that's pretty much my swing but I call it a half swing. I think it's great swing for a weekend hacker who only gets out couple times a month. Less moving parts is more repeatable. I also like a long pause at the top. Better ball contact actually gives me all the distance I need from the reduced swing size. Less is more I guess

-Mike

Driver: 450cc, 12 degree
Irons: Rifle steel shafts
Fairway Woods: R7 HybridPutter: Marilyn GPS: Garmin Golflogix GPS-8

Too funny that's pretty much my swing but I call it a half swing. I think it's great swing for a weekend hacker who only gets out couple times a month. Less moving parts is more repeatable. A also like a long pause at the top. Better ball contact actually gives me all the distance I need from the reduced swing size. Less is more I guess

You realize that there is no backswing, that you start at the top, right? You can have as long of a pause at the top as you like.......

Irons: Taylormade Rac LT2 Wedges: Vokey SM 52 + 56 Putter: Some old piece of crap

Then there's the no follow through swing.

Nike Sweet 16

Srixon I-701 3-P

You realize that there is no backswing, that you start at the top, right? You can have as long of a pause at the top as you like.......

Maybe their name just implies that but this sequence clearly shows just a smaller backswing? Maybe I don't get it, I'll search for a video of it somewhere.

http://www.golf.com/golf/gallery/art...652959,00.html
-Mike

Maybe their name just implies that but this sequence clearly shows just a smaller backswing? Maybe I don't get it, I'll search for a video of it somewhere.

You're suppose to start at the top, take a short waggle back and swing through......Sort of like cocking a baseball bat back just a bit before firing.

Ok that is strange but I think the same principle would work with a more normal "connected" half backswing, pause and downswing. That's something you can take to a course and not have people staring

-Mike

actually, you are supposed to start in about the 75% back position, go back to a full swing. What this does is get you at 75% in the proper place. It's centered around people that take the club back on the wrong path. It's much easier to stay on plane if you remove that 75% of it and in reality it doesn't create any less power and should improve ball striking.

The problem with the comparison to baseball is that almost all weight is on the back foot in baseball and you don't shift your swing completely to your front foot in a baseball swing.

Driver: 9.5 905R 757 Speeder X stiff
3 Wood: 13.0 Sonartec GS Tour Red Ice 70X
Hybrid: 17.0 Sonartec MD Stiff UST IROD
Irons: 690cb 4-PW w/Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

Ok that is strange but I think the same principle would work with a more normal "connected" half backswing, pause and downswing. That's something you can take to a course and not have people staring

That's a sawed off swing, and works great to keep the ball low and straight......I use it all the time.

I did that no backswing stuff at the range a couple years ago when I couldn't hit anything. It really gets the ball out there but you look like a damn fool.

Nike Sweet 16

Srixon I-701 3-P

i tried it tonight for fun, and i was actually kind of embarrassed to say that i works pretty damn well. U wont be shaping the ball with this swing, but it actually makes for some good contact. Looks absolutely ridiculous tho

Driver: r7 460 TP 10.5 w/Ozik Altus SX
3 Wood: Tour Proto 14.5 w/Ozik Xcon7 SX
Hybrid: Tour Proto. A2TS 19 w/ Matrix Ozik Altus HB SX
Irons: R7tp w/project x 6.0
Wedges: spin milled 56 w/ Proj. x 5.5 XTour60putter: Monza CorzaBall: Pro V1/ whatevers in my bag.

Sometimes I'll pause at the backswing to make sure things are positioned correctly then follow through, and it seems to work pretty well because I use it to get out of slumps with my irons...

The concept of this swing is to "pump" your hands up and down a few times like you're cocking a baseball bat (as someone else mentioned) and then swing through. It sounds like you'd look like a fool. I'd rather master a tougher but better-looking swing than try this thing.

Driver: r7 10.5*
3W: Black Ti
Irons: CG Gold
Wedges: 54*, Acuity 60*
Putter: Copperhead bladeBall: NXT-Tour

Note: This thread is 4484 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!