IGNORED

Minimalist Golf Swing

Note: This thread is 3561 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

WTF?

:doh:

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

WTF?

I know right. I mean, it just pains me to watch any of those videos. If @Innercity Mini , more power to him, but I wouldn't want to touch that swing theory with a 10 foot pole!!! I need to go watch Rory hit some golf balls now to cleanse my mind!!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I know right. I mean, it just pains me to watch any of those videos. If @Innercity Mini likes the swing, more power to him, but I wouldn't want to touch that swing theory with a 10 foot pole!!! I need to go watch Rory hit some golf balls now to cleanse my mind!!

Now THAT is a golf swing. "Hear the difference" indeed.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Now THAT is a golf swing. "Hear the difference" indeed.

Though Rory could move the ball a tad forward in his stance and hit up a bit more, but besides that, good stuff!!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Though Rory could move the ball a tad forward in his stance and hit up a bit more, but besides that, good stuff!!

Camera is about 20' too far forward to really judge ball position, but in any case it beats the living brown stuff outta this:

Yours in earnest, Jason.

This swing has been used extensively by the Havercamps.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

It may be a reasonable option for a senior player (or someone with other physical limitations) who has lost flexibility, strength, and consistency.  But absent the need to compensate for serious physical limitations, it clearly lacks the power found in the modern swing.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

This really isn't that different from Jim Suttie's No-Backswing swing:

http://www.golf.com/instruction/no-backswing-swing

THE STUDY

Who took part

Twenty-nine adult golfers representing a full range of skill levels from beginner to professional. The study took place at TwinEagles Golf Club in Naples, Fla.

The experiment

The participants made five regular swings and then five swings using the No-Backswing Swing (NBS) with their own 5-iron. None of the 29 golfers had previous exposure to the No-Backswing technique. Each swing and ball flight was measured by the TrackMan ball-tracking system. The TrackMan system is accurate up to 12 inches from 400 yards."]

The results

The test data was computed and analyzed with help of the Center for Sports Innovation at MIT. Golfers with a handicap of 1 or higher hit the ball just as far and just as straight with the NBS as they did with their regular swing.

It amazes me what can be achieved with an open mind, a sense of adventure and creativity, and a healthy disrespect for orthodoxy! :banana:

I was watching a baseball game the other night and Phillies's star (former star) was getting a lesson from Marlon Byrd about keeping his hands low vs. high in his batting stance. The advice was to remove a lot of the timing of his swing and keep his hands in the hitting zone longer. Kiran's Minimalist system pre-sets her hands/right side low, wrists unbent creating a very long lever with no need for timing. Using this system, I gained 20 yards on my drives and a feeling of confidence like no other so that I knew I could place the ball anywhere I aimed with distance by varying the degree of shoulder turn in the pre-set.

DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY! :bugout: Simply try it for fun!

Patrick

MGS Fan

Thanks acermusdux!  Here is the video! There was an error with the posting of the actual video! Maybe others on this post can take advice more easily from a white male Doctor of biomechanics than a female Indian Chiropractor?  By the way, Dr . Suttie actually reviewed Kinwar's Minimalist Golf Swing favorably prior to his development of his "baseball" type swing.  You can see that here:

http://www.golf.com/video/no-backswing-swing

Patrick

MGS Fan

As far as i can tell, this thread was started to abuse the Minimalist Golf Swing System without any respect for the research and thought that went into develop it! :bugout: Imagine the surprise of the "all-knowing" instructors when very accomplished golf-pros/teachers actually positively embrace Kiran's MGSS having tried it regardless of their stats and observations about "obvious" flaws and limitations.

I am surprised the administrators of this site allow such abuse of a system without at least giving it a fair trial!

Patrick

MGS Fan

Whatever happened to multi-quote? Honestly I don't give a rat's about this :poo: but it's starting to feel like spam.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Dude lay off the multiple posts. What the hell are you quoting your self for anyways? If you are going to quote multiple people do it in one response, it's called multi-quoting.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

This swing has been used extensively by the Havercamps.

Thanks for the humor Boogie! I love this movie! I like the fact that the Minimalist Golf Swing System by Kinwar will some day make me a scratch or better player! It our public course we have a daily "pensioner's" game with a friendly $20 cap. Prior to my knee replacement on the 29th of June, I "capped" my opponents 3 days in a row using this swing,  [:-P]  My HCP with my knee damage had slipped to 21.6 and everyone I beat had a much better HCP!

Patrick

MGS Fan

• Administrator

These are going to be short responses, but you're making some pretty goofy claims @Innercity Mini .

It amazes me what can be achieved with an open mind, a sense of adventure and creativity, and a healthy disrespect for orthodoxy!

Yeah, you too can have a swing that looks like this:

Kiran's Minimalist system pre-sets her hands/right side low, wrists unbent creating a very long lever with no need for timing. Using this system, I gained 20 yards on my drives and a feeling of confidence like no other so that I knew I could place the ball anywhere I aimed with distance by varying the degree of shoulder turn in the pre-set.

Most people will lose a lot of clubhead speed doing this.

I do not believe that you achieve the positions listed above and get the yardages you've indicated.

You've removed levers (bending the wrists) and decreased the length of the arc by eliminating a lot of the torso turn.

Maybe others on this post can take advice more easily from a white male Doctor of biomechanics than a female Indian Chiropractor?

Please tell me you've not just alleged "racism" as the reason people are discussing/disputing this swing as valid for them (fairly able-bodied golfers)?

As far as i can tell, this thread was started to abuse the Minimalist Golf Swing System without any respect for the research and thought that went into develop it!

It was started with the comment "Whaddya think?" So I disagree that it seems to have been started "to abuse the MGSS without any respect…". I've asked you a few questions, and you have been unable to answer them. You've simply cheerleaded and ignored the questions, problems, and issues.

Threads here are to DISCUSS. You seem unwilling or unable to discuss anything, mirroring my experiences with Kiran herself on the Facebook.

Imagine the surprise of the "all-knowing" instructors when very accomplished golf-pros/teachers actually positively embrace Kiran's MGSS having tried it regardless of their stats and observations about "obvious" flaws and limitations.

That's not happening in any sort of scale.

I am surprised the administrators of this site allow such abuse of a system without at least giving it a fair trial!

Something must pass a reasonable burden of proof, common sense, and basic physics before I'm willing to give it "a fair trial."

This thread's going nowhere fast.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

These are going to be short responses, but you're making some pretty goofy claims @Innercity Mini.

Yeah, you too can have a swing that looks like this:

Most people will lose a lot of clubhead speed doing this.

I do not believe that you achieve the positions listed above and get the yardages you've indicated.

You've removed levers (bending the wrists) and decreased the length of the arc by eliminating a lot of the torso turn.

Please tell me you've not just alleged "racism" as the reason people are discussing/disputing this swing as valid for them (fairly able-bodied golfers)?

It was started with the comment "Whaddya think?" So I disagree that it seems to have been started "to abuse the MGSS without any respect…". I've asked you a few questions, and you have been unable to answer them. You've simply cheerleaded and ignored the questions, problems, and issues.

Threads here are to DISCUSS. You seem unwilling or unable to discuss anything, mirroring my experiences with Kiran herself on the Facebook.

That's not happening in any sort of scale.

Something must pass a reasonable burden of proof, common sense, and basic physics before I'm willing to give it "a fair trial."

This thread's going nowhere fast.

IACAS, let me try to answer some of your questions by pointing out Dr, Suttie's "No Back Swing Swing" in which no distance is lost and accuracy is maintained as mentioned in the Golf.com link above.

When you say "removed levers" I'll say that the horizontal thumbs from an unbent pair of wrists actually lengthen the lever and widen the golf-swing arc. In addition, the energy normally used in the arm drop into the slot, is conserved and the timing for the strike enhanced as the right side of an MGSS swing stays "in tilt" throughout the swing. POWER IS INCREASED INTO THE BALL AND OVERALL!  and the "Angle of Approach" of the club- face guarantees ball compression.

You said something about not using the left side (still working on the multi-quote function) right? But as soon as I tilt to my right side, my left leg is entirely activated and feels powerful. As I keep/raise my left arm CLOSE to my chest (ala Hogan), after the pre-turn of about 45 degrees, I have all day to "flip the switch" and set my left heel down (ala Hogan's lower leading the upper) to wallop the ball into compression with the tilted right side (ala Hogan's side-arm throw). The perfect "Angle of Approach" (TGM term) of the club-face will compress the ball at almost any speed on a mild weather day.  Do you deny these commonalities still?

I'm sorry but as a Golf-Machine guy, I just assume you could see all that I see with the Hogan similarities. I also had hoped you would have the same generous spirit that all my TGM instructors share-every swing is good if it helps a student enjoy the game since TGM describes hundreds of valid swings! in TGM, Kinwar's MGSS is along the lines of "Impact Fix" as far as I can tell but I can be corrected on anything.:roll:

You keep saying Kiran has not replied to you but why should she? She has published all her information without charge and many people, including Dr. Jim Suttie, a "top 20" golf instructor, has validated her work in person and on video submitted above. She frankly has more credentials regarding swing mechanics than MANY but you still don't feel you should give her system a try?  The burden of proof might be on you to look past appearances when a lifelong "top 20" golf instructor validates her work.

Now you may not share any of her conclusions. You may never have read "The Golf Machine." You may not be able to understand Dr. Jim Suttie's "No Back Swing Swing" or the reasons it works from the Golf.com article. But to say I haven't offered a discussion is simply wrong and un-true! I agree Kiran does not look like Adam Scott but helicopters don't look like planes but work nonetheless! Common sense and basic physics are outlined in her "Minimalistgolfblog" including anatomical planes of movement and body power meridians. All free-all easily understood by a non-scientist like me.  Here is a link to her blog: http://minimalistgolfswingblog.com/anatomy-of-the-golf-swing/

I'd like this to be a friendly discussion-the videos, testimonials, and freely published research provided should aid the discussion.  As I said before, intellectual curiosity should be encouraged here esp. when people are injured (do you need to see my right knee after surgery or herniated discs x-rays) and report success with a method.

Tomorrow, I am attempting to drive my car :dance: and if I can, I'm going to the driving range! WOOHOO

Edit: I had to re-format this post. A moderated had deleted it as "MF" which stands for "malformed." I will not take the time to edit it in the future. Please don't put your text inside the quote block.

Patrick

MGS Fan

I'm going to join this conversation, mostly out of boredom. Where in the world do you get stance 45 degrees closed ala Hogan? When did Hogan do that? He didn't lift his left heel, either. Also, helicopters can't fly as fast as planes. So yea, I guess if you're saying the MGSS is like a helicopter and the conventional swing is like a plane, then yes, apt analogy.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 3561 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!