IGNORED

My Swing (Maddog10)

Maddog10
Note: This thread is 3533 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

At my club fitting the other day, the fitter generously gave me some swing tips to work on. I have started the process of making these adjustments, but wanted to get your feedback as well. All I have is a DTL angle but will try to get others in the next few days if the weather permits. Thanks in advance for your help. I've been Playing Golf for: 10 years My current handicap index or average score is: 2.8 My typical ball flight is: High, typically straight with occasional fade The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Thin [VIDEO]http://s582.photobucket.com/user/Maddog102009/media/5A157F80-8689-4C2A-B87A-9C8047BEFC79-7644-00000736136453D7_zpsde9f2c00.mp4.html[/VIDEO]

• Administrator

You're a 2.8 according to your profile, so that's good… but I'm surprised you can even see the golf ball.

A good thread to check out: .

Also check this out: http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing . Proper positioning of the camera is important. You're too high and too far to the right.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thank you for your input iacas. My swing feels extremely awkward right now, as the fitter said it would. My posture was not upright enough, and still isn't. After recording my swing, I realized that instead of actually standing more upright, I'm just raising my head and angling my eyes down as you pointed out. Thanks for the links as well. I had my bro in law recording for me with a camera phone, so the quality leaves something to be desired.

• Administrator

My posture was not upright enough, and still isn't.

When you get into a good golf posture (as opposed to the bent-from-the-hips-only, chin-up, straight-backed posture you have now), your overall posture will be slightly more "upright," but I don't know that I'd make "more upright" your goal.

Just read the Good Golf Posture thread. :)

Thanks for the links as well. I had my bro in law recording for me with a camera phone, so the quality leaves something to be desired.

Yeah, and in the end, it just limits our ability to properly and fully assess things.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thanks again. After reading the good posture thread, I almost feel as if the fitters advice has been counter-productive thus far. Let me explain the issue he addressed to get your thoughts on it. Basically, the clubs I had been using were short for me and he mentioned that I really leaned over the ball a lot, tucking my hands in near my body. This created a very shallow shaft angle. However, whenever he showed my position at impact, the shaft angle was much steeper, and there was a fair amount of vertical head movement (head was higher at impact than address). I thought that the easiest way to fix the issue would be to stand more upright and increase the shaft angle at address. Now that you have drawn the correct lines on my swing, I can see that all I've really done so far is stick my butt out farther and raised my head so that I have to look downward toward my nose to see the ball. One of the first things I noticed yesterday at the range was how much more I was having to strain my eyes to see the ball. It looks as if I would tuck my chin and stop sticking my butt out (both new additions to the swing) that I would be much closer to the good posture lines, correct? Based on my old swing (wish I could find an old pic), I believe that I would need to straighten my lower back a little, but that my butt and chin posture would be much better than they are now. Also, my wife has a nice camera with HD recording. I will pick up a tripod and try to provide some better video for you to work with.

Quick drill to help you feel it. Stand with your heels 4 inches from a wall and slightly bend from the waist. Once the butt touches the wall, you're done bending from the waist. Rest of the "bending" comes from the upper back. Round the shoulders inward, slouch, allow the head to hang.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Thank you for the drill mvmac. I instantly felt what you were talking about.

So the 6" of sleet and snow couldn't slow me down today. I took my wife to the range with me to video until I can get a tripod in an attempt to get some better videos for you guys. Unfortunately, nearly all of the videos were filmed vertically so I apologize for the narrow video, but I did try to follow the positioning tips from the "filming your swing" thread a little more closely. I hope you guys are able to tell a little more from these videos. They were filmed with a much better camera, but the snow and bright sunshine made things a little difficult.

After watching the videos, it appears that my head is still not pointed down enough, but perhaps is a bit better. Also, I was trying to bend my knees slightly more and balance my weight better. I felt like I was playing back on my heels, so I tried to shift forward to balance more weight on the balls of my feet. Anyways, I'll stop rambling and post the videos. Please share any tips or critiques that you notice.

PW DTL: (Other videos are better quality. The editing software I used for this reduced the quality significantly. Apologies.)

PW Face-On:

7 Iron DTL and Face-On:

5 Iron DTL and Face-On:

Drive DTL: (Wasn't enough room in the stall to do a face-on with the driver)

Thanks again or everyone's help. If these videos aren't sufficient just let me know and I will get you some more. I will be picking up a tripod this week so that I can now film my solo sessions at the range.

Keep working on the posture, just going to add one more thing at address. It's about turning your feet out at address, we like to say you get a couple things for free by doing it.

So eyes need to be more down, lower back softer. Notice the arc you have in your lower back.

For you it's going to feel like posterior pelvic tilt, like your tailbone is tucked under you.

Like Arnie ;-)

Getting back to the feet, turn them both out about 25 degrees. I think your pivot is ok, camera moves a bit on the face on but I think the head moves a little to the right, turning rates are ok, more on that below.

Will allow you to keep the left knee flexed longer into the downswing, so more weight forward at impact. Your left leg straighten too soon because the foot is square, turn it out and the knee has room to flex forward.

Recent video we turn about the feet/knees

Grip is on the weak side. Make sure the heel pad of the left hand is more "on top" of the grip. Your grip looks like it's in the palm of your hand.

Mike McLoughlin

Thanks a ton. The photos are very informative, as well as the Key #1 video. I see what you mean about the turning rate, and I feel like I achieve the 90 degree torso turn, maybe a bit more, though I am probably overswinging a bit too. However, I can see that I don't get as much of a hip turn as in the video on the right in Key #1 because my feet are square and knees are pinched together.

Last night in the living room I tried to set up my posture with the changes you suggested. Pretty awkward feeling so I'm sure it will take some getting used to. The posterior pelvic tilt feels pretty strange as well as the bowlegged knees. Tucking the tailbone was the most awkward, and truthfully I felt like it put me in a very unathletic position, but once I started my swing I could instantly feel the increased flexibility from having my feet pointed outwards a bit. It will be interesting to see how the swing feels whenever I am able to put it into action at the range.

Regarding the grip, I wasn't sure exactly when I read your post last night so I grabbed a club to see how I held it. Honestly I think that it fits pretty close to the proper grip that I was able to find diagrams of. I don't say that to discredit your advice at all so I hope it doesn't come across that way. The heel pad of my left hand does sit on top of the club, but could probably be brought farther on top of the club to strengthen it more. I will try to remember to post pics of this to see if I need to make any adjustments during my next round of videos.

Thank you again for your instruction mvmac. If anyone else has something to add please feel free.

Thanks a ton. The photos are very informative, as well as the Key #1 video. I see what you mean about the turning rate, and I feel like I achieve the 90 degree torso turn, maybe a bit more, though I am probably overswinging a bit too. However, I can see that I don't get as much of a hip turn as in the video on the right in Key #1 because my feet are square and knees are pinched together.

The amount of hip turn in the video is a little exaggerated to make the point of how turning the hips "frees up" the torso to turn.

Couple good examples

Last night in the living room I tried to set up my posture with the changes you suggested. Pretty awkward feeling so I'm sure it will take some getting used to. The posterior pelvic tilt feels pretty strange as well as the bowlegged knees. Tucking the tailbone was the most awkward, and truthfully I felt like it put me in a very unathletic position, but once I started my swing I could instantly feel the increased flexibility from having my feet pointed outwards a bit. It will be interesting to see how the swing feels whenever I am able to put it into action at the range.

Yes having the eyes down and softer with the lower back is going to feel pretty weird at first but it's how the best players have always done it

Regarding the grip, I wasn't sure exactly when I read your post last night so I grabbed a club to see how I held it. Honestly I think that it fits pretty close to the proper grip that I was able to find diagrams of. I don't say that to discredit your advice at all so I hope it doesn't come across that way. The heel pad of my left hand does sit on top of the club, but could probably be brought farther on top of the club to strengthen it more. I will try to remember to post pics of this to see if I need to make any adjustments during my next round of videos.

Yeah I would suggest strengthening it.

If you "shot" a nail directly through the top of your wrist (in that little indentation underneath your thumb - the anatomical snuffbox ) the nail should come out directly through the bottom of your wrist and into the grip.

Most poor grips would have the nail come out the bottom of the wrist and miss the grip on the left side. This would indicate the wrist joint not sitting on the grip.

This can cause the wrist to uncock too early on the downswing, the wrist joint can't support the downward force of the club. I also see this as why you "overswing" on the backswing, not enough support in the grip.

Where my right index finger is in the left pic is where the "nail" would be going through

Mike McLoughlin

Okay, that illustrates it a little more clearly to me. After seeing that, I agree that my grip is on the weak side. I think the theoretical nail would hit the grip, but it would just catch the edge of it on the left side. I would say that I need to move the pad of my hand about a half inch or so farther on top of the club.

• 4 months later...

Wanted to re-visit my thread and post a new video. I've been working on my swing a lot this year and have been playing some good golf. I feel that my posture has improved from when I posted my original swing earlier in the year, but I would love to hear your comments. I apologize that the quality of the video is so poor in terms of providing a good view for instruction. I will try to get some videos later this week with a better DTL angle as well as a face-on, and I also will use our DSLR camera instead of my iPhone :8) . If you can tell anything from this video though I would love to hear your thoughts.

This is a 50* PW.

Note: This thread is 3533 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!