IGNORED

Small GI irons

Note: This thread is 3697 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

As you can see from my wear pattern...  I think I need to change my ball position at address!  I consistently miss on the toe -  just recently had started making corrections.

People who miss off the toe are usually swinging to the left. You don't need to change your address position, typically - your path typically needs to be adjusted.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

JP Golf: This is exactly what I am talking about. I also have spent some time lining up the ball on the toe, usually the toe end of the grooves. (Trying to change it myself too) Obviously the sweet spot is bigger on a oversized GI/SGI iron. Like you said I just care about the distance the sweet spot is from the toe and heal.

I don't need the biggest sweet spot. I just want the most amount of the club face to produce descent results, as in a pretty straight shot with fairly consistent distance.

Saturday: Thanks for the suggestion and trust me I have tried to get myself to fall for the G25s, especially since ping was nice and tried to shave the sole down a bit. But so far I have not been able to get over it. Same thing with the I series, too much sole behind the club face is visible at address. I know I would get over it and it would probably make me feel more confident if I learned to hit them well, but so far I hit them worse so that isn't looking any better to me.

For what it's worth, I have done a lot of research on the mizuno jpx ez forged. People on other forums (sorry tst) are saying the ez forged are comparable to the g25s in forgiveness as far as hitting the ball all over the face. Obviously some people like the help of the large face and sole and offset of the g25 which the ez forged don't offer. But obviously I do not! So far for me the jpx ez forged are probably at the top of my list right now.

Unfortunately, as someone has said before, its usually a trade off.

Some of us hate the big heads, myself included.  Not sure what causes that, many tour players have mixed sets.  Don't remember who said that recently, but one of the players said that they have bigger heads on their 3-6 irons because all they want to do is hit the green. Not go for the flag, they just want to be on the green.  He also said that bigger head gives them more confidence when hitting the long irons.  When pros talk like that, how they don't mind the bigger heads in longer irons, makes me think I'm not playing the proper clubs for my skill level (JPX 825 PROs).

Always good to go on the monitor, and hit 10-20 shots with some SGI's and GI's and compare the results (not the best shot, the average)

Bettinardi Golf Kuchar #2 Cobra Bio Cell+ Callaway Razr Hawk 3W TaylorMade SLDR 19H Mizuno JPX 825-Pro 4-AW Scor 55 & 60 (Wedges)

Whatever the club design, the sweet spot is the same size, i.e. very small spot on face. Most likely any CB iron is in GI category on Matlbys ratings.

Whatever the club design, the sweet spot is the same size, i.e. very small spot on face. Most likely any CB iron is in GI category on Matlbys ratings.

Interesting.  Don't a lot of club makers claim larger sweet spots?

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Basically every golf company makes a club that fits what you're looking for @dwade247 . AP2, Adams XTD forged, i25, TaylorMade CB, Callaway X2 Hot Pro, MP-54, Bridgestone J40 Dual Pocket irons.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Unfortunately, as someone has said before, its usually a trade off.

Some of us hate the big heads, myself included.  Not sure what causes that, many tour players have mixed sets.  Don't remember who said that recently, but one of the players said that they have bigger heads on their 3-6 irons because all they want to do is hit the green. Not go for the flag, they just want to be on the green.  He also said that bigger head gives them more confidence when hitting the long irons.  When pros talk like that, how they don't mind the bigger heads in longer irons, makes me think I'm not playing the proper clubs for my skill level (JPX 825 PROs).

Always good to go on the monitor, and hit 10-20 shots with some SGI's and GI's and compare the results (not the best shot, the average)

I feel the same way. I always here about pros and low handicappers using big head irons. That also makes me feel silly (like a poser) when I only like to use my MP-30s.

Basically every golf company makes a club that fits what you're looking for @dwade247. AP2, Adams XTD forged, i25, TaylorMade CB, Callaway X2 Hot Pro, MP-54, Bridgestone J40 Dual Pocket irons.

So these are as forgiving on off center strikes as Ping G series or JPX EZ or AP! or Xhots?

• Upvote 1

People who miss off the toe are usually swinging to the left. You don't need to change your address position, typically - your path typically needs to be adjusted.

I agree with your general assumption.  I don't address the ball in the middle of the club and hit the toe, that would indicate swing to the left and your path coming outside in as you described.

I used to swing inside out and extend a little on all my shots in which aligning the ball slightly towards the toe allowed me to consistently hit center (resulted in a draw also).  However, I don't have the same swing that I used to or the consistency, yet I still address the ball with it aligned on the toe of the club.  Unfortunately, that's exactly where I've been hitting it... if I put the ball in the middle of the club face at address and swing the same- I should be around the center of the club face on contact.

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

Interesting.  Don't a lot of club makers claim larger sweet spots?

There is no "size" to a sweet spot. It's a point in space, two intersecting lines, where they cross is the sweet spot. Some clubs may be more forgiving as you drift away from the sweet spot but the sweet spot itself isn't "larger". It's like the center of gravity, it has no "size", either it's the center or it isn't, nobody has a larger center of gravity.  Marketing BS.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

JP Golf: This is exactly what I am talking about. I also have spent some time lining up the ball on the toe, usually the toe end of the grooves. (Trying to change it myself too) Obviously the sweet spot is bigger on a oversized GI/SGI iron. Like you said I just care about the distance the sweet spot is from the toe and heal.

I don't need the biggest sweet spot. I just want the most amount of the club face to produce descent results, as in a pretty straight shot with fairly consistent distance.

I know what you mean @dwade247 .  I currently play the Razr-X black irons- I like the offset and appearance of the smaller head (black finish and longer hozel makes it look smaller).  They are long and accurate (I have shafts fit to me in them which helps a ton).  However, the sole is mid-bulky (I don't like).  They will help you get the ball up in the air but they are hard to flight lower.

If I had to suggest a club, I would say take a look at the new cobra bio cell irons (they don't have the looks for everyone).  TM Rocketblades, Cobra Amp Cell (again looks can throw you off).   Callaway has some decent options too....  Really, it will just take you going and standing over some clubs and hitting them.  Personally, I like to see my true ball flight at a range with demo clubs than on a shot monitor.  Either way I wish you luck!  I know how you feel though!  Let us know what you end up with!

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

[QUOTE name="luu5" url="/t/72915/small-gi-irons/18#post_958358"]   Whatever the club design, the sweet spot is the same size, i.e. very small spot on face. Most likely any CB iron is in GI category on Matlbys ratings. [/QUOTE] [QUOTE name="14ledo81" url="/t/72915/small-gi-irons/18#post_958368"]   Interesting.  Don't a lot of club makers claim larger sweet spots? [/QUOTE] There is no "size" to a sweet spot. It's a point in space, two intersecting lines, where they cross is the sweet spot. Some clubs may be more forgiving as you drift away from the sweet spot but the sweet spot itself isn't "larger". [SIZE=13px]It's like the center of gravity, it has no "size", either it's the center or it isn't, nobody has a larger center of gravity.  Marketing BS.[/SIZE]

That makes sense.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

So these are as forgiving on off center strikes as Ping G series or JPX EZ or AP! or Xhots?

No, if you want that level of forgiveness you go with those irons. You said you were looking for irons that were similar looking to blades but went further and were more forgiving than blades. Those were the irons I listed.

Mike McLoughlin

Well looks like I am just going to have to develop a better swing. Darn! I was hoping to reach a different solution with the forum!

But seriously maybe I will try to find a set of ping G2s for cheap and compare them to my mp-30s on the course. Idk it's worth a shot I guess.

Check out this review of the Callaway X hot pro irons...

Quote from review:

"I've never been a big fan of oversized club heads instead preferring clubs that are slightly smaller with thinner top lines. These do quite well in that regard. While not nearly as small as some clubs aimed at the better player, these do not resemble shovel either. The soles are not over-the-top wide the top lines aren't thick. My single complaint with the way these clubs look is with the offset of the clubs....

players on both ends of the ability spectrum should see some desirable qualities in the X Hot Pro as lower handicap players looking for a little more help will appreciate them as will a mid handicap player that is making strides to improve their game."

http://thesandtrap.com/b/clubs/callaway_x_hot_pro_iron_review

JP

Well looks like I am just going to have to develop a better swing. Darn! I was hoping to reach a different solution with the forum!

But seriously maybe I will try to find a set of ping G2s for cheap and compare them to my mp-30s on the course. Idk it's worth a shot I guess.

Yeah unfortunately a set of clubs can only do so much. I think going with the G2's is a good idea.

Check out this review of the Callaway X hot pro irons...

Quote from review:

"I've never been a big fan of oversized club heads instead preferring clubs that are slightly smaller with thinner top lines. These do quite well in that regard. While not nearly as small as some clubs aimed at the better player, these do not resemble shovel either. The soles are not over-the-top wide the top lines aren't thick. My single complaint with the way these clubs look is with the offset of the clubs....

players on both ends of the ability spectrum should see some desirable qualities in the X Hot Pro as lower handicap players looking for a little more help will appreciate them as will a mid handicap player that is making strides to improve their game."

http://thesandtrap.com/b/clubs/callaway_x_hot_pro_iron_review

Thanks for sharing the review. Just sent the X2 Hot Pro irons to one of our staff guys. From the few shots I've hit, really impressed and they certainly don't look "game improvement" but the ball comes off the face fast and high.

Mike McLoughlin

I'm a little confused here.. You want clubs that look similar to blades but you want maximum forgiveness right? Why are you not getting fit for clubs? There have been plenty suggestions for irons, including the AP1's, G series, i20, i25's, JPX ez's, etc. I can play blades if I wanted to, and sure they're visually pleasing but why when I can get better results with my ping g25's? We pay to play, the game is hard enough as it is - no point making it harder.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

I'm a little confused here..

You want clubs that look similar to blades but you want maximum forgiveness right? Why are you not getting fit for clubs? There have been plenty suggestions for irons, including the AP1's, G series, i20, i25's, JPX ez's, etc.

I can play blades if I wanted to, and sure they're visually pleasing but why when I can get better results with my ping g25's? We pay to play, the game is hard enough as it is - no point making it harder.

I have not gotten fitted for two reasons. 1) I am a broke college student and this whole new irons thing is probably just dreaming. At least until next year when maybe I can gather some gift cards. So I am basically just looking for suggestions of clubs to watch out for. 2) Since I obviously hit better or worse on different days with different clubs I don't want to get fit for the "right club of the day" if you know what I mean.

I agree that the game is hard enough as it is and therefore we should make it as easy as we can and that is the reason I am even considering the large head SGI irons. However my point in this thread has been that I do not hit the g25s any better than my mp-30s. And I feel it is mostly due to the bulky head. Therefore I was looking for something that looked like my mp-30s and gave me the feeling of being in control but were forgiving when I missed by a bit.

Note: This thread is 3697 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!