IGNORED

Grips

Note: This thread is 2951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've never tried the Pure Grips. I would probably try them just based on the fact that so many guys on this site think they are the best, but the one thing that I'm leery of is that the Tour Velvets are my least favorite grip and the Pure Grips look a little bit like them.

I still have a bunch of Tour Velvets in the closet that I'm pretty sure will never be used because I just don't like them at all. I thought I could get rid of them by putting them on my wife's clubs (she's not as picky as I am) but she started using something else also.

I did stick one on an old persimmon head driver I re-gripped a few days ago because I'm not likely to hit that club more than a few times, and just messing around with it.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never tried the Pure Grips. I would probably try them just based on the fact that so many guys on this site think they are the best, but the one thing that I'm leery of is that the Tour Velvets are my least favorite grip and the Pure Grips look a little bit like them.

I still have a bunch of Tour Velvets in the closet that I'm pretty sure will never be used because I just don't like them at all. I thought I could get rid of them by putting them on my wife's clubs (she's not as picky as I am) but she started using something else also.

I did stick one on an old persimmon head driver I re-gripped a few days ago because I'm not likely to hit that club more than a few times, and just messing around with it.

Pure Pros look a lot like Tour Velvets but don't fee anything like them. They don't feel like anything else on the market IMO. Very hard to describe the feel, rubbery I guess...Try one on a single club, you might like 'em.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have the Winn Dri-Tac and they are the best! I've had mine on for a year and clean them every 2 months with spray nine and they still feel like new. I play at least 100 rounds a year and hit balls frequently in-between. I'm ready to change them out but they still feel like they have a little life left in them.

• Administrator

What does ftmfw mean?

http://bit.ly/1gcyvbm ;-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I've been using the VDR's for several years.  I get about a year out of them before they slick up.  Living in the hot, humid deep south, my hands get pretty sweaty also and the VDR's have never let me down.

I did just regrip my clubs this week and went with Golf Pride's Tour Velvet BCT Cord .  I grew up using all cord grips, but found they were too harsh on my hands.  GP has re-designed the cord to be softer on the hands, so I'm going to try again.  The BCT has the highest rating for weather management, feed back and surface texture.  They are now offered in WHITE.  I purchased them in Mizuno blue.  You may want to give them a try.

Driver :tmade: R1

Fairwaywood :tmade: Rocketballz Stage 2 15*

Hybrids :ping: i15 20* and 23* Hybrids

Irons :mizuno: MP64 4 - PW

Wedges :edel: 54* and 58* 

Putter :edel: 

Golf Ball :titleist: Pro V1 

Go to the hardware store and get Spray 9. It will change your life (kind of)

Hi @Dstob I just googled Spray 9 because I'd like to keep my new grips cleaner than last year. Their home page listed 16 different versions of Spray 9, which one do you recommend?

By the way ... WELCOME TO THE TRAP! :beer:

PS: You should choose an avatar before you get assigned one, that can be embarrassing depending on the mod's mood... :-P

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• Administrator

I use original Krud Kutter.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Ohh , I like that it's relatively environmentally responsible. I'll look for that at my Home Depot.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Pure Pros look a lot like Tour Velvets but don't fee anything like them. They don't feel like anything else on the market IMO. Very hard to describe the feel, rubbery I guess...Try one on a single club, you might like 'em.

Hmmm ... I don't know that I'd go so far as to say they feel "nothing" like tour velvets.  They are definitely different, but not that different.  If I had Tour velvets on half of my clubs and Pure Pros on the other half, I don't know that I'd have any problems with the feel between the two, compared to, say, if I had Winn Dri-Tacs on half the clubs.

Ohh, I like that it's relatively environmentally responsible. I'll look for that at my Home Depot.

Are you guys talking about just keeping them looking pretty?  Or is this something I should be doing periodically (once a year??) to keep them lasting longer as well.

Hmmm ... I don't know that I'd go so far as to say they feel "nothing" like tour velvets.  They are definitely different, but not that different.

To me they're similar to a Tour Velvets but tackier. Tour Velvets when they are brand new, not after a month ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator

Are you guys talking about just keeping them looking pretty?  Or is this something I should be doing periodically (once a year??) to keep them lasting longer as well.

I use Krud Kutter once a year on my regular grips. On my putter grip, once a month or so. Lots more build-up of sweat and dirt and whatever on my putter.

To me they're similar to a Tour Velvets but tackier. Tour Velvets when they are brand new, not after a month

And a little firmer.  Once thing, at least for me, possibly due to sweat, that I notice about the Pures ... I HAVE TO wipe them down before I take a shot, or else they are kind of slippery.  Tour velvets, or the NDMC's I used to have weren't like that.  I never had to wipe them down.  But I kind of like that I'm forced to do that, because this way they are always clean.

But I obviously sweat more than you guys too, because there is no way in the world I could play without a glove with these grips.

I use Krud Kutter once a year on my regular grips. On my putter grip, once a month or so. Lots more build-up of sweat and dirt and whatever on my putter.

OK, good to know.  I will pop down to Home Depot and find some of this stuff.  Not worried about my putter grip though ... it's the original grip for my putter ... which is close to 25 years old. :)

• Administrator

And a little firmer.  Once thing, at least for me, possibly due to sweat, that I notice about the Pures ... I HAVE TO wipe them down before I take a shot, or else they are kind of slippery.  Tour velvets, or the NDMC's I used to have weren't like that.  I never had to wipe them down.  But I kind of like that I'm forced to do that, because this way they are always clean.

Yeah. I almost never wipe them down. And I don't wear a glove either. :)

To me they're similar to a Tour Velvets but tackier. Tour Velvets when they are brand new, not after a month

I guess I haven't held a Tour Velvet in a quite some time then. They seem "drier" feeling to me whereas the Pures feel " moist-er ". Maybe that's just a "me" thing though... :-\

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Note: This thread is 2951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!