IGNORED

Opening Hands at Takeaway

Note: This thread is 3675 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Kicking off the new season I started a very nasty habit of immediately flipping my hands open at takeaway. I've never had this issue before and no matter how hard or what I tried I couldn't stop myself from doing this. As a result of this I was unable to even get a simple PW in the air in addition to every iron I attempted to swing and this poured over to my driver as well. I've been scouring the web for drills and solutions but it seems every search comes back unrelated to my issue. Someone please suggest drills, tips, anything to help me cure this "shank."

Hi Lefty, First off welcome to the site. There is tons of great information on the site here to help you in your pursuit of better golf. Without seeing your swing it is tough to know exactly what you are doing. Very often feel is not real. Meaning that what you think you are doing you many not be doing. I suggest you get someone to videotape your swing so that we can have a look to determine what is going on.

For the takeaway I suggest you start in this thread and see where it takes you.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/30325/deep-hands-explained/

Enjoy.

Michael

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for greeting. I remembered in the midst of my frustration I did have my friend tape my driver and iron shots hoping to see something I could easily correct. I'm hoping a few good range sessions will straighten me out but I welcome any advice I could take with me.

Driver Swing

http://www.v1sports.com/Academy/include/player.asp?v1ga=true&SwingID;=1037811&accountID;=850759&AcademyID;=GOLF&Status;=1&hasqt;=0

Iron Swing

http://www.v1sports.com/Academy/include/player.asp?v1ga=true&SwingID;=1037805&accountID;=850759&AcademyID;=GOLF&Status;=1&hasqt;=0

Thanks

You have typical high handicapper issues. I wouldn't worry about the takeaway necessarily right now.

Here's some excellent free information to start consuming by the truck load :-D

http://thesandtrap.com/t/55426/introducing-five-simple-keys

http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread

There's tons to learn in the Swing Thoughts section too.

Also, start a " My Swing Thread " if you can. You'll get some responses from the pros on your swing. And if you don't, just contribute to some other threads, and then they'll show up for sure.

As per your swing specifically, your "study" priority right now is understanding how to shift your weight properly. You have way too much left on your back foot at the finish. Learn to slide your hips and extend your pelvis from its address forward bend through the strike. Also, learn about the correct foot pressures and how understanding "weight shift" in terms of "pressure" can really help.

Too much weight left on the back foot. Hips way too far back.

Here are a few videos that are relevant to you:

It's a good place to start, but keep studying. You'll be better informed over how to practice sure, but more importantly, you'll be better informed over how to find an instructor who is worth the money, if you do one day decide to get formal instruction.

PS- It looks like you've got too much weight on your heels at address, so I'd change that as well. Also, there are better ways to share your swing online, so just be aware that getting better camera angles and uploading them to Youtube provides us with a better chance of helping you out. Cheers :beer:

Constantine

Thanks Jets, the flat wrist portion really made a lot of sense to me. Can you suggest some drills or practice props that could help me address this while at the range? I've always felt I struggle with where my weight is when I address the ball and I end up bouncing around until I "settle" for something. Also, could I get an opinion on my posture? I've only played once this year and been to the range once also so I'm hoping this is rust that will go away with some practice.

• Administrator
Thanks Jets, the flat wrist portion really made a lot of sense to me. Can you suggest some drills or practice props that could help me address this while at the range? I've always felt I struggle with where my weight is when I address the ball and I end up bouncing around until I "settle" for something. Also, could I get an opinion on my posture? I've only played once this year and been to the range once also so I'm hoping this is rust that will go away with some practice.

I think it's going to be important for you to prioritize. It's unlikely that you are ready for Key #3 stuff right away.

I'd recommend starting a My Swing thread, with some good videos shot from proper angles.

http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Here's a drill or feel to help the takeaway but I agree with what @iacas said, start a Member Swing thread with better camera angles for a more accurate assessment. The dtl angle you're shooting the video at will make any swing look "inside".

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3675 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!