IGNORED

Fade turns to slice into the wind

Note: This thread is 3174 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi,

I am new to the forum so please go gentle with me!!

I am a 9 handicap left hander, I generally drive well with slight fade but into the wind I have real problems.  Normally, right side of the fairway has me center/left and side but into the wind, even if I aim off the right the ball slices out of control - this is demolishing my card.

Into the wind, the ball powers to my target line with no deviation but once it reaches the top of its flight (quite high) and looses its power the wind seems to move the ball a good 50 yards to the left depending on how strong it is.

I am not particularly good at working the ball left to right so I want to avoid that if I can as in pressure situations it has a tendency to fail.

I guess my questions are: 1 - Could a different shaft and its kick point make a difference?  I use TM R9 Supertri with an Aldila REAX60 stiff shaft and 2 - The loft is set on neutral upright and the weights set as standard (black/heaviest in the center socket), could a change in these make a difference?

I would really appreciate your thoughts guys.

Regards,

Steve

Welcome to the forum @CrevSteve .  Have you tried lowering your ball flight into the wind by using ball position?  I am asking because I assume you are happy with your driver ball flight when it is not windy..

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hi Scott,

My normal flight is fine although a little high but distance is not a problem however I wouldn't mind a lower flight which is why I ask about the shaft.

I have tried pulling it back a bit in the past but the cut seemed a little worse, even a block at times.

Thanks for the response,

Steve

Hi Scott,

My normal flight is fine although a little high but distance is not a problem however I wouldn't mind a lower flight which is why I ask about the shaft.

I have tried pulling it back a bit in the past but the cut seemed a little worse, even a block at times.

Thanks for the response,

Steve

That happens to me too if I change position. I have the opposite problem, which is low flight.  Have you ever been fitted for shaft?

Scott

My Swing Thread

Scott,

I was fitted with CFS-X ping shafts last year when I brought my i20s on a Ping demo day.  I have not been fitted for a driver though, don't get the chance that often here in Spain where I live!

Regards,

Steve

I am a .... left hander ...

Well, shoot, ^^^^ there's your problem right there.  Fix that, and you'll be golden!! :-P

Hi,

I am new to the forum so please go gentle with me!!

I am a 9 handicap left hander, I generally drive well with slight fade but into the wind I have real problems.  Normally, right side of the fairway has me center/left and side but into the wind, even if I aim off the right the ball slices out of control - this is demolishing my card.

Into the wind, the ball powers to my target line with no deviation but once it reaches the top of its flight (quite high) and looses its power the wind seems to move the ball a good 50 yards to the left depending on how strong it is.

I am not particularly good at working the ball left to right so I want to avoid that if I can as in pressure situations it has a tendency to fail.

I guess my questions are: 1 - Could a different shaft and its kick point make a difference?  I use TM R9 Supertri with an Aldila REAX60 stiff shaft and 2 - The loft is set on neutral upright and the weights set as standard (black/heaviest in the center socket), could a change in these make a difference?

I would really appreciate your thoughts guys.

Regards,

Steve

Seriously though, I know the feeling.  I come to a tee shot directly into the wind, and I know I better hit this one pretty straight or else I'll be in trouble.  My advice would have been the same as Scott's ... try moving the ball back in your stance a bit, swing a little EASIER, and the ball should fly a lot lower.  But, of course, that is easier said than done.  I can hit those shots at the range, but on the course is another story.

I don't know much about shafts so I can't help you there.

Good luck, and welcome!!

P.S.  But seriously ... you should switch to right-handed. :beer:

LOL Drew, I have never heard that before ;-)

I have been left handed for the 30 years I have been playing golf, would you say the same to Mickleson?   I don't think so, changing is not an option.

I have a very dominant right hand, I am fine apart from the wind, I think a different shaft might help a bit, it is just the flight that fascinates (no annoys me!) as it is pure until it loses power then it is like it turns 90 degrees.

Thanks for the words though.

Steve

LOL Drew, I have never heard that before

I have been left handed for the 30 years I have been playing golf, would you say the same to Mickleson?   I don't think so, changing is not an option.

I have a very dominant right hand, I am fine apart from the wind, I think a different shaft might help a bit, it is just the flight that fascinates (no annoys me!) as it is pure until it loses power then it is like it turns 90 degrees.

Thanks for the words though.

Steve

True ... it is a bit of a tired joke.  Can't disagree with that one. :beer:

But, yeah, if you can find a shaft that gives you a lower, more "boring" flight, then that might solve, or at least curb your problem into the wind somewhat.  The downside, though, would be if you really like your ball flight the rest of the time, now you're losing that.

Maybe just for those directly into the wind shots, you try and learn a "stinger" type shot with your 3 wood?

Either way, good luck!

Into the wind I just let my hands get a little more in front of the ball at impact and hit a low draw. With no wind I hit a high draw or a high fade (whichever I'm in the mood to hit).

I can't see trying to lower the ball flight on a standard shot just so it will be lower on the times when it's against the wind.

Could i maybe be an issue that you're getting too much spin on your drives? My understanding is the more you spin your driving the greater the effect of wind.

Henry

your fade is probably a small slice anyway. wind just takes more of the balls tilted spin to go further more off line.

so do you fade the ball really or not ?

Normally a fade or draw is a trajectory you programmed and/or is a part of your swing system. anything initially unwanted is a hook or slice. People prefer to say fade for the ego.

After that a fade for a left hander all start left of your target and finish at target on the pitch/kick. anything farther left is a slice. (and reverse for a draw).

your can't call fade or draw a trajectory you dont want and/or does not finish on the target.

Bubble, you have not read my original post properly where I talk about my aim, etc.  and of course a fade is a small slice just as a draw is a slight hook!!!  I have no problem playing with a fade, there are not many people who knock it past me so distance is not a problem.

Foo Fader, I think that you are right about spin, I do hit the ball probably too hard - I borrowed an extra stiff shaft today and moved the weight to the heel - although it was less windy, I got a totally different flight, still fade but lower and a more solid hit

@CrevSteve ,

I would add, do you ever go to the range on windy days?  Here in MA, April can be windy.  I will sometimes go to the range to explicitly work on how to play the wind or see the effects of wind on ball flight.  This may be a good time to work on adjustments.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Shaft flex isn't the be-all-and-end-all. You can have an X-flex with a high launch/trajectory - be a little careful what you're messing with. You probably want to pay a bit more attention to kick point and/or tip flexibility rather than overall "stiffness".

Any shot into the wind is going to deviate significantly as the ball speed dies assuming it's got some sidespin on it. How often do you play in the wind? Is it really worth playing about with shafts if it's not that often? For me, I would try to play with the wind rather than fight it and you definitely do not want to be hitting the ball "hard" into the wind - more spin, more deviation, more trouble.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

ANY shot into the wind will be affected by the wind. A 'fade' will become a slice, a 'draw' will become a hook. It's science! But.- I take a tip from the olden days. Since I'm right handed I'll work that way for a non-ballooning fade. I choke down on the driver about an inch, lower the tee a bit, set it a little further back in the stance, and aim to the left side. MOST of the time it results in a low semi-pull fade that rolls and rolls once it lands. (depending on the type of fairway and such.) Get much more distance than trying to bully the ball into the air- hitting it harder just means it spins more and goes further off course. I can take a "normal" speed swing with my setup and get most (not all, though) of the normal distance. I'll take in the fairway over 2 fairways over any time.

It seems to me there are 2 answers.  One for the average golfer, and one for the tour level golfer.

The average golfer's answer:

Lower lofted driver

Learn to hit a draw

Play the ball just a tad further back in your stance but keep your hands out front like you are hitting it as if it were further up in your stance

The tour level golfer:

deloft the club before impact but do not swing down on the ball.

play the ball further back in the stance

Note: This thread is 3174 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!