IGNORED

Building a set, need some advice

clutchshot
Note: This thread is 3672 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Right now I have a TM 3 hybrid at 19 degrees, a 4 Iron at 20 degrees and a 5 iron at 23 degrees. My plan was to get a 5 hybrid because I don't hit 4i and 5i real consistent, but can hit 3 hybrid all day long. The 5 hybrid I am looking at is Adams and 22 degrees. You think this is a big enough gap between my 3 hybrid or should I be looking for something with a little more loft? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I think that's a tricky question that only you can answer for yourself.  It depends on what kind of shots you are hoping to accomplish with the club, and I would think it would also depend a lot on the hybrid you choose.  I believe some companies are making their hybrids as more direct replacements for irons, so a 5 hybrid would be more a 5 iron than a 4 replacement.  I have a 4 hybrid that I hit farther than I did my 4i, but that may be just me.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

I personally use a 19 degree and a 22 degree hybrid in my bag and then 6i-9i and I find that this set up works very well for me. However I would test one out if you get a chance and make sure the distance is right for your individual style of play before replacing your 4i.

So what kind of distance gap are you seeing between the 19 and 22? I don't want these to be 5 yards different.... Also should I be concerned that because the 3 hybrid is a TM and the 5 is Adams that the degree difference May not be as different as I think? (Can't just hit it, it's online clearance club and none are in stores)

Also should I be concerned that because the 3 hybrid is a TM and the 5 is Adams that the degree difference May not be as different as I think?

(Can't just hit it, it's online clearance club and none are in stores)

I honestly don't think there is anyway to know if as you say you can't hit the clubs. I would say that the difference in brands "probably" won't make too much difference, i'd say with 80% confidence that a 22 deg. in the TM would be within 5 yards of a 22deg. in the Adams but without hitting both clubs on a decent launch monitor you'll never know

Henry

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't think that's nearly enough loft for a 5 hybrid. 22 degrees is the loft of my 4 hybrid I believe. Going by your current lofts, try looking for maybe like a 25 degree club for your 5 hybrid.

I don't think that's nearly enough loft for a 5 hybrid. 22 degrees is the loft of my 4 hybrid I believe. Going by your current lofts, try looking for maybe like a 25 degree club for your 5 hybrid.

Yeah, that was one of my thoughts. My TM 3 hybrid is 19, but the Adams 3 hybrid is 17. So the Adams loft doesn't seem like enough... But maybe a 4/5 would be fine.... What kind of distance gap do you think there would be?

I have a 3h(19deg) that I hit 200-205 yards and a 4h(22deg) that I hit 190. These clubs are the same make (taylormade) and shaft. Be careful with mixing clubs of different makes and shafts since the yardages could vary more than you want, regardless of loft.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3672 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!