IGNORED

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

Valleygolfer

To much chagrin I have put my money (figuratively: I don't actually bet money) against Tiger this year. In the long run if there is not irreversible damage occuring everytime he swings and is more a 'pain' issue, then worst case he might at some point be forced into an extended hiatus to heal/sit back/ re-re-evaluate, etc. But eventually he would adapt his technique (yet again) to resume playing at a high level as of all things, Tiger is not a permanent head case type. Apparently he is not a permanent ANYTHING type. If I would be allowed to be so presumptive as to say, what else does he have to do for, uh, well, the rest of his life? There is only so many sitcom re-runs you can watch. He is only 38. But this year, a major win for him seems to have precluded itself into the miracle category.

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't think he'll ever have to retire. Even if he has to have back surgery, he'll come back. However, if he does need surgery, it's going to pretty much cripple his chances of ever catching Jack's 18. He would have to take considerable time off and then come back and overhaul his swing where it takes less pressure off the back, which would be a lot given how much torque he puts on his back and how important it's been in his game.

Personally, I think he's trying to rest it in hopes of avoiding surgery because I think he knows that's a last option and worst case scenario, but it may end up coming to that.

If Hogan could recover from a near fatal car accident and win a few Majors I think Tiger still has a shot.  It's going to come down to how bad he wants it and how much pain he can take.

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

Jut saw a news update that Tiger has withdrawn from the Arnold Palmer tourney at Bay Hill. He's questioning whether he'll be in any condition to play in the Masters. RUH-Roh.

Driver- :nike: Nike VR-Pro Limited Edition 9.5* Diamana 'ahina Stiff Flex 3 Wood- :titleist: Titleist 980 5 Wood- :tmade: Taylormade R9 3i-PW- :tmade: Taylormade Tour Preferred (Dynamic Gold S300) Putter- :tarmour: Tommy Armour T-Line 150 (it's old but I love it and haven't been able to find anything that feels better)

Read a good article on golf channel regarding Tiger and his injuries and how the public treat him so differently.

To sum it up, we criticize and question Tiger for withdrawing from tournaments, and for being injured in general.

If it was any other tour player, we would wish them the best and that would be all.

Nothing more true could be said. The public gets angry at Tiger for being injured.

• Upvote 1

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Read a good article on golf channel regarding Tiger and his injuries and how the public treat him so differently. To sum it up, we criticize and question Tiger for withdrawing from tournaments, and for being injured in general. If it was any other tour player, we would wish them the best and that would be all. Nothing more true could be said. The public gets angry at Tiger for being injured.

No wonder he is irritated with everyone all the time.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Read a good article on golf channel regarding Tiger and his injuries and how the public treat him so differently. To sum it up, we criticize and question Tiger for withdrawing from tournaments, and for being injured in general. If it was any other tour player, we would wish them the best and that would be all. Nothing more true could be said. The public gets angry at Tiger for being injured.

That's a great point and perspective. I'd consider another angle to this - are people frustrated with having to speculate on the severity of or lack of transparency (to which many fans think they're entitled) around the injuries? I'll liken it to other spectator sports where a key player is injured and there's little definitive detail released on the severity of the injury. Fans get frustrated and just want to know "can he/she play or not?" instead of the week to week tip-toeing or smoke screens around what could be a bigger issue. There's clearly a competitive advantage in all sports to not publicizing play-hampering injuries until absolutely necessary and I'm sure that rolls over into Tiger's world as well. Perhaps Tiger is at that point where he needs to stop trying, come clean with the severity of his injuries, and take however long he needs to heal (before he really hurts himself). Secretly I'm wishing he admits that Lindsay Vonn is a freak in the sheets and his back injuries are from some botched bedroom trapeze act. :-P

Driver- :nike: Nike VR-Pro Limited Edition 9.5* Diamana 'ahina Stiff Flex 3 Wood- :titleist: Titleist 980 5 Wood- :tmade: Taylormade R9 3i-PW- :tmade: Taylormade Tour Preferred (Dynamic Gold S300) Putter- :tarmour: Tommy Armour T-Line 150 (it's old but I love it and haven't been able to find anything that feels better)

That's a great point and perspective. I'd consider another angle to this - are people frustrated with having to speculate on the severity of or lack of transparency (to which many fans think they're entitled) around the injuries? I'll liken it to other spectator sports where a key player is injured and there's little definitive detail released on the severity of the injury. Fans get frustrated and just want to know "can he/she play or not?" instead of the week to week tip-toeing or smoke screens around what could be a bigger issue. There's clearly a competitive advantage in all sports to not publicizing play-hampering injuries until absolutely necessary and I'm sure that rolls over into Tiger's world as well. Perhaps Tiger is at that point where he needs to stop trying, come clean with the severity of his injuries, and take however long he needs to heal (before he really hurts himself).

Secretly I'm wishing he admits that Lindsay Vonn is a freak in the sheets and his back injuries are from some botched bedroom trapeze act.

True, but less significant in Golf than contact sports. Rugby players often don't disclose injuries, because you can guarantee in a tackle or in the ruck, any weakness another player knows about will get some 'extra attention'.

Maybe he hurt it doing some crazy 'downhill skiing while having sex at the same time' adventure with Vonn

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

When Whitey Herzog was coaching the St. Louis Cardinals I remember him complaining about how "well conditioned" his players were (that were constantly on the DL).

He said when he played and everybody was 15 lbs. overweight, and went out and had a steak and a few beers everyday, they were almost never on the DL. He even complained "Half of these guys don't even eat meat."

I got a laugh out of it but I do think there's something to being so well conditioned that you have extra strength to hurt yourself.

When I stop a video of a lot of golfers after impact when their hands are already above their left shoulder and their spine angle and head are still in the same position they were at impact it hurts my back just looking at it (and I don't even have a bad back).

No danger of most of us putting that kind of torque on our backs because we couldn't get in that position even if we wanted to get there.

Read a good article on golf channel regarding Tiger and his injuries and how the public treat him so differently.

To sum it up, we criticize and question Tiger for withdrawing from tournaments, and for being injured in general.

If it was any other tour player, we would wish them the best and that would be all.

Nothing more true could be said. The public gets angry at Tiger for being injured.

I don't know if most get angry. I think it's more frustration because he's the star of the sport that brings in interest and him not being out there doesn't help the sport any. It's just one of those things that really isn't Tiger's fault, but it still brings out frustration in all of us. After all, let's face it....golf is better when Tiger's on top of the game and guys are trying to take him on and bring him down. Tiger's almost 40....these back problems may cause him to change his swing and take serious time away from contending....there's not many years left of Tiger at the top. The window is beginning to close a little bit and I think we all realize that.

I don't know if most get angry. I think it's more frustration because he's the star of the sport that brings in interest and him not being out there doesn't help the sport any. It's just one of those things that really isn't Tiger's fault, but it still brings out frustration in all of us. After all, let's face it....golf is better when Tiger's on top of the game and guys are trying to take him on and bring him down. Tiger's almost 40....these back problems may cause him to change his swing and take serious time away from contending....there's not many years left of Tiger at the top. The window is beginning to close a little bit and I think we all realize that.

I think there's certainly an element that just flat-out can't stand the guy, and the other poster is right: he's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.  Then there's the element that is just disappointed.

Personally, I've never been a huge Tiger fan, but there's no denying that his presence on top of the leaderboard makes for great viewing.  The only time I get frustrated with the coverage of Tiger is when he's 7 back of the leader with 4 holes to go and they're following his every move like he still has a chance.

Bulging disc - no surgery required.

Needs this though....

http://www.mongoosegolfswing.com/2011/02/mongoose-golf-swing-helps-golfers-with.html

"Watch as this Mongoose takes down a Cobra..."

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

"Watch as this Mongoose takes down a Cobra..."

Honey Badger is better!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Here's a timeline , for those who feel like reminiscing:

http://golf.swingbyswing.com/post/80184667466/timeline-tiger-woods-injuries?utm_content=729&utm;_campaign=Teen_Makes_Back-to-Back_Aces_|_Arrow_Straight_Drives_You%E2%80%99ve_Been_Looking_For&utm;_source=newsletter&utm;_medium=email&utm;_term=link-15

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

I heard on Golf Channel that Tiger is holding a press conference tomorrow.  I'm not sure what it's about, but I'd guess it's to discuss his back injury and his plans for the rest of the season.

Joe Paradiso

I heard on Golf Channel that Tiger is holding a press conference tomorrow.  I'm not sure what it's about, but I'd guess it's to discuss his back injury and his plans for the rest of the season.

well hopefully its not about Rachel Uchitel ....... maybe its just  that his NCAA bracket is crushed like everyone else's????