IGNORED

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

Valleygolfer

Quote:

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I heard on Golf Channel that Tiger is holding a press conference tomorrow.  I'm not sure what it's about, but I'd guess it's to discuss his back injury and his plans for the rest of the season.

well hopefully its not about Rachel Uchitel ....... maybe its just  that his NCAA bracket is crushed like everyone else's????

Think its about the ATT event at Congressional.

Tiger Woods, addressing the media during a press conference announcing Quicken Loans as the new sponsor for his PGA Tour event at Congressional, says that he has been undergoing treatment for his ailing back, but has yet to determine whether that will allow him to play at the Masters on April 10.

“For Augusta, it’s still a little too soon (to know), to be honest with you,” he said. “That’s kind of the frustrating thing about this. I had a couple weeks off, was getting treatment and trying to get ready for Augusta. As of right now, it’s still too soon. As I said, that’s very frustrating.”

http://golfweek.com/news/2014/mar/24/tiger-woods-injury-masters-status-congressional/

Tiger Woods, addressing the media during a press conference announcing Quicken Loans as the new sponsor for his PGA Tour event at Congressional, says that he has been undergoing treatment for his ailing back, but has yet to determine whether that will allow him to play at the Masters on April 10.

“For Augusta, it’s still a little too soon (to know), to be honest with you,” he said. “That’s kind of the frustrating thing about this. I had a couple weeks off, was getting treatment and trying to get ready for Augusta. As of right now, it’s still too soon. As I said, that’s very frustrating.”

http://golfweek.com/news/2014/mar/24/tiger-woods-injury-masters-status-congressional/

I sometimes wish that an immediate follow up question could have been asked  like, after acknowledging the frustration ask. "If Augusta began this Thursday would you be able to play?

I sometimes wish that an immediate follow up question could have been asked  like, after acknowledging the frustration ask. "If Augusta began this Thursday would you be able to play?

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.

Its the clear Tiger cat and mouse game with media. I find it hard to believe he won't tee it up at Augusta even if he isn't completely healthy. I mean just a common cortisone shot should be enough to help with pain. I've had shots in my back before and they alleviate a lot of pain and help loosen things up on a temporary basis. I don't see how Tiger with his endless funds and connections couldn't get a nice shot or temporary treatment and play for 4 days.

I mean he's played there before hurt and he's played there under some of the worst conditions of his career. He's played with a broken swing there with little to no reps before the tournament and he's still contended.

I think its pretty clear his withdrawal from API was more a preventive measure than one that would mean he'd be out for an extended period of time (at least IMO). He had a lot more to lose than he would to gain playing this past weekend or at any tournament in the lead up to Augusta.

I'd put my life savings down that he tees it up on Thursday April 10th at Augusta National.

How he plays is a whole different animal but something tells me if the doubters are strong (which they are) it could be a week where he catches everyone off guard and plays really well. As long as he can chip and putt enough in the lead up I think he'll be fine.

I'm sure Augusta National members will use all of their influence to ensure he's there as that means better ratings and coverage for them.

Tiger is a tough one to figure out, he's got such a bad relationship with the media that you can't read much into what he says or doesn't say.  If he doesn't play in the Masters then I'd think his injury is much worse than he's let on thus far.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Its the clear Tiger cat and mouse game with media. I find it hard to believe he won't tee it up at Augusta even if he isn't completely healthy. I mean just a common cortisone shot should be enough to help with pain. I've had shots in my back before and they alleviate a lot of pain and help loosen things up on a temporary basis. I don't see how Tiger with his endless funds and connections couldn't get a nice shot or temporary treatment and play for 4 days.

When the "Check Engine" light comes on in your car, do you just disconnect it?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I mean just a common cortisone shot should be enough to help with pain. I've had shots in my back before and they alleviate a lot of pain and help loosen things up on a temporary basis. I don't see how Tiger with his endless funds and connections couldn't get a nice shot or temporary treatment and play for 4 days.

It depends.  Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.  I have 3 series' of epidurals in the last decade or so for herniated discs.  One of them helped for about 6 months, one for about 2 years, and one for about a year.  However, it took a fair bit of time (several weeks and multiple shots) for them to take effect.  There are so many different types of back pain, and everybody is so different, that there is no way to know how much a shot would help each person.

No, but when my car starts making funny sounds, I do turn up the radio.  Problem solved!! :beer:

Generally yes I ignore it. Unless its related to the catty its usually just some $20 dollar sensor that can be replaced at the next oil change or maintenance appointment.

I get the analogy but i'm not sure I agree with it pertaining to this situation. Tiger's showed he can play with the back issue, bulging disc or simple spasms. No one in Tiger's camp has confirmed the bulging disc, an unnamed source doesn't do it for me. I'm sure if a doctor says hey you can play without doing much more damage he will play. Its the Masters.

Obviously if it serious than I doubt he'll play but if it was more serious than I doubt he would have completed his final round at Doral. Tiger has been overly cautious with any injury since his knee/leg injury after the '08 US Open. I wouldn't expect this to be any different. Plus he loves to keep the media guessing.

All i'm saying is this would have to be something very serious and debilitating for Tiger to not at least give it a go at the Masters. If that were the case than I think he would likely be out for a much extended period of time, possibly putting in doubt the final 3 majors as well.

Tiger is at the point in career where he will only play if he knows he has a chance to win.  There is no purpose for him just to "play" the Masters.  Especially if playing can be a set back for the US Open.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Tiger is at the point in career where he will only play if he knows he has a chance to win.  There is no purpose for him just to "play" the Masters.  Especially if playing can be a set back for the US Open

Has there ever been a point in Tiger's career where he entered a tournament to just "play" and not compete to win?

• Administrator
I get the analogy but i'm not sure I agree with it pertaining to this situation.

I'm not sure you did. Tiger will not play if he has a high risk of permanently causing damage. It would be stupid to just get a pain shot in such a case.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm not sure you did.

Tiger will not play if he has a high risk of permanently causing damage. It would be stupid to just get a pain shot in such a case.

Nope i'm pretty sure I did as I clearly explained above.

• Administrator
Nope i'm pretty sure I did as I clearly explained above.

Your bout of weird speculation was lacking from your first post where you simply said "shoot up and play" (paraphrased). Which remains potentially very stupid given the importance of one career versus twenty plus more. Let's just avoid speculating in general given the lack of knowledge okay?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfisher

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.

I mean he's played there before hurt and he's played there under some of the worst conditions of his career. He's played with a broken swing there with little to no reps before the tournament and he's still contended.

I think its pretty clear his withdrawal from API was more a preventive measure than one that would mean he'd be out for an extended period of time (at least IMO). He had a lot more to lose than he would to gain playing this past weekend or at any tournament in the lead up to Augusta.

I'd put my life savings down that he tees it up on Thursday April 10th at Augusta National.

How he plays is a whole different animal but something tells me if the doubters are strong (which they are) it could be a week where he catches everyone off guard and plays really well. As long as he can chip and putt enough in the lead up I think he'll be fine.

With our without Tiger, the Masters will be on at my household for all 4 days......the PGA golf is more than TW.

• Administrator
With our without Tiger, the Masters will be on at my household for all 4 days......the PGA golf is more than TW.

To you. Not to many.

[QUOTE name="Rick Martin" url="/t/72993/tiger-woods-official-injury-thread/90#post_966531"]   Tiger Woods, addressing the media during a press conference announcing Quicken Loans as the new sponsor for his PGA Tour event at Congressional, says that he has been undergoing treatment for his ailing back, but has yet to determine whether that will allow him to play at the Masters on April 10. “For Augusta, it’s still a little too soon (to know), to be honest with you,” he said. “That’s kind of the frustrating thing about this. I had a couple weeks off, was getting treatment and trying to get ready for Augusta. As of right now, it’s still too soon. As I said, that’s very frustrating.” [URL=http://golfweek.com/news/2014/mar/24/tiger-woods-injury-masters-status-congressional/]http://golfweek.com/news/2014/mar/24/tiger-woods-injury-masters-status-congressional/[/URL] [/QUOTE] I sometimes wish that an immediate follow up question could have been asked  like, after acknowledging the frustration ask. "If Augusta began this Thursday would you be able to play?

Don't you think if he could play Thursday, he would be able to say that he could play a week later?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Don't you think if he could play Thursday, he would be able to say that he could play a week later?

I don't know, he's not exactly forthcoming with much information when it comes to press conferences, besides the question was never asked.