IGNORED

It's not the hackers!

sopel10
Note: This thread is 3666 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not even if there is a open course (2) holes in front?  IMO it would be the right thing to do to let him through.  The second group lets him through as well, and he takes at least and hour off of his round.

But there's no guarantee that the second group will let him through, even though they obviously should. I've been in the same situation, and it's nice when you get to play through, but I don't get irritated as long as the group in front of me is keeping pace.

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

Not even if there is a open course (2) holes in front?  IMO it would be the right thing to do to let him through.  The second group lets him through as well, and he takes at least and hour off of his round.

But there's no guarantee that the second group will let him through, even though they obviously should. I've been in the same situation, and it's nice when you get to play through, but I don't get irritated as long as the group in front of me is keeping pace.

This is true, but I have never let what others might or might not do stop me from doing the right thing.

• Upvote 2

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

As long as the group in front of you was keeping pace with the group in front of them, they were right not to let you play through. I know it can be frustrating, but going to a popular course on the weekend as a single is just asking to wait on every hole.

And you're right, it's not the hackers in this scenario. They didn't know any better. It was the better player that knew letting you play through wasn't the right move.

My thoughts exactly on this subject.   I'll even take it 1 step further.  I would have never teed off as a single knowing 4-somes were out front.   I would have waited to get paired, or teed off only if I knew the group I would catch was something less than a 4-some that I could pair up with out on the course.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Again, I believe my situation was somewhat unusual, since I was pressed for time.  The earlier I left the better.  When I play as single, I usually do wait to join some other group, it's just more fun.

Place was empty though, only reason why I was hoping to play through.  Maybe I'm just different than some of you here.  I would let a single play through in this situation 100% of the time.  Even without knowing if the other foursome would let him play through.

Bettinardi Golf Kuchar #2 Cobra Bio Cell+ Callaway Razr Hawk 3W TaylorMade SLDR 19H Mizuno JPX 825-Pro 4-AW Scor 55 & 60 (Wedges)

@Parker0065 I wouldn't consider a 12hcp a hacker. Maybe because I am one, but someone playing off 12 is in the top third of all golfers who keep handicaps, and better if you add those who don't. Generally if you give someone a stroke per hole I'd say you can get away with calling someone a hack. Unless you're a +6 I'd stick with people worse than bogey golfers with that label.

Meh... I'm about a 12, sometimes down to a 10, and I'm a hack. There's a huge chasm between us and a scratch, and then probably an even deeper chasm between the scratch and a pro.

Colin P.

USGA rules on etiquette state that the faster group be allowed to play through. This is regardless of the group in front of them. If the group behind you is playing faster, let them play through... And the first group should also let the faster group play through when they catch up to them. Too many people decide to justify why it doesn't make sense to let others play through, or to follow common courtesy in general... And everyone suffers because of it. Typically I've experienced better etiquette at private clubs, because everyone is vested. So they typically follow the rules of etiquette and it generally makes it a better experience for everyone.
  • Upvote 1

Meh... I'm about a 12, sometimes down to a 10, and I'm a hack. There's a huge chasm between us and a scratch, and then probably an even deeper chasm between the scratch and a pro.

Yeah there's a big difference, but I consider calling someone a hacker to either mean someone who doesn't take the game too seriously, or an insult. I don't know that Parker meant it negatively but professionals should show a little more respect. I don't know much about his background or whether he's an instructor, but a teaching pro who called their student a hacker would be out of line, don't you think?

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Yeah there's a big difference, but I consider calling someone a hacker to either mean someone who doesn't take the game too seriously, or an insult. I don't know that Parker meant it negatively but professionals should show a little more respect. I don't know much about his background or whether he's an instructor, but a teaching pro who called their student a hacker would be out of line, don't you think?

I'd agree. But among amateurs, I think it's ok every once in a while to say that we suck.

Colin P.

as a 50+ round a year single golfer, I run into many Log jams. If I catch a group ahead of me and there is no one ahead of them, I expect them to offer me to play though, If they don't... I ask them. If they say no then I tell them...politely... I am playing around them. Then I move on. Be wary though..while playing 18 once with a co-worker. ran into a log jam. after being told "no" by a drunk foursome (playing 9 ), we played around them on the front nine about the fourth hole. apparently that infuriated  them  to a point where they complained to management(verbal warning) and pissed in my cars gas tank(that is why you tip the cart return guy, thanks! security cameras)...I just topped off with premium after my car sputtered to the gas pump.

• Upvote 1

IMO, playing through the 4some in front of you was not a good option for anyone.  Let's say they DID let you play through.  Then, THEY wait on every hole and every shot waiting behind YOU, while you press the guys in front of you.  Sandwiched as a single between 2 foursomes doesn't sound like an option to speed up play.

If those were the only other groups on the course at the time, perhaps jumping ahead a hole or two might have been the better option.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

IMO, playing through the 4some in front of you was not a good option for anyone.  Let's say they DID let you play through.  Then, THEY wait on every hole and every shot waiting behind YOU, while you press the guys in front of you.  Sandwiched as a single between 2 foursomes doesn't sound like an option to speed up play. If those were the only other groups on the course at the time, perhaps jumping ahead a hole or two might have been the better option. dave

I thought about skipping, but I've never been to Houston before, so I didn't really know the course that well. Also, I flew in just to play two rounds and fly back. I was greedy ;-)

Bettinardi Golf Kuchar #2 Cobra Bio Cell+ Callaway Razr Hawk 3W TaylorMade SLDR 19H Mizuno JPX 825-Pro 4-AW Scor 55 & 60 (Wedges)

USGA rules on etiquette state that the faster group be allowed to play through.

This is regardless of the group in front of them. If the group behind you is playing faster, let them play through... And the first group should also let the faster group play through when they catch up to them.

Too many people decide to justify why it doesn't make sense to let others play through, or to follow common courtesy in general... And everyone suffers because of it.

Typically I've experienced better etiquette at private clubs, because everyone is vested. So they typically follow the rules of etiquette and it generally makes it a better experience for everyone.

I agree. However, at some private clubs single players have no standing on the golf course. This means you don't have to let them play through

regardless of whether holes are open or not. I assume this is because singles aren't groups and a foursome could, theoretically, have to let

multiple singles through in the course of a normal round. Slowing foursomes down, so that singles can play faster, is not something most clubs

would want.

I agree. However, at some private clubs single players have no standing on the golf course. This means you don't have to let them play through

regardless of whether holes are open or not.

Regardless of club rules, why would you not let a single through if there's room ahead of you?  Who wants someone breathing down their neck all day?!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Quote:

Originally Posted by tefunk

USGA rules on etiquette state that the faster group be allowed to play through.

This is regardless of the group in front of them. If the group behind you is playing faster, let them play through... And the first group should also let the faster group play through when they catch up to them.

Too many people decide to justify why it doesn't make sense to let others play through, or to follow common courtesy in general... And everyone suffers because of it.

Typically I've experienced better etiquette at private clubs, because everyone is vested. So they typically follow the rules of etiquette and it generally makes it a better experience for everyone.

regardless of whether holes are open or not. I assume this is because singles aren't groups and a foursome could, theoretically, have to let

multiple singles through in the course of a normal round. Slowing foursomes down, so that singles can play faster, is not something most clubs

would want.

That's assuming the private club lets a single out at all. Many that I've played won't.

Tyler Martin

Regardless of club rules, why would you not let a single through if there's room ahead of you?  Who wants someone breathing down their neck all day?!

yeah, not letting someone thru with room in front just because you dont want to or dont personally "recognize" a single is douchey.

Colin P.

I play as a single the vast majority of the time.

The only time I get frustrated as a single being held up by a 4 ball is when they're all "I drive the ball 100 yards and then spend 5 minutes looking for it after every shot" handicap players who tell me "we can't let you play through as we're being held up ourselves" and then they insist on waiting for the hole to clear completely before teeing off. Even while you're standing on the tee box doing practice swings while they're ball-hunting they still don't wave you through.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Note: This thread is 3666 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!