IGNORED

"Worst" birdie you ever made?

ditchparrot19
Note: This thread is 3671 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recall any birdies you've made that you just flat-out didn't deserve? One really stands out for me.

I was playing this muni course where the 2nd hole is an extremely short par-3, like maybe 105 yards. I hit a brutal tee shot to the right that not only missed the green, but the entire green complex, which consists of some mounds and bunkers. When I got to my ball, there was a small window between the top of of one of the mounds and the lowest branches on a tree. I decided I would bang a line drive into the top of the hill and have it bounce upward and through that window, and then softly land on the green – a shot that was miles above my skill level.

There was a bunker to my left and a rake was lying outside of it, but I paid it no mind. There was just no way it would be a factor.

Well, I skull-scraped that ill-conceived shot hard to the left and the ball slammed into the handle of that rake. Then something occurred that I really can't believe to this day, and neither can the guys I was playing with.

The ball rocketed from the rake handle straight into the cup without ever touching the ground. It happened so fast that none of us even saw it  – we just heard the ball go in. If the evidence hadn't been right there at the bottom of the jar, I would've said that the sequence of events was absolutely impossible.

Two horribly butchered shots resulted in a 2 on the card. It was almost embarrassing – but not quite. After all, a birdie is a birdie and they're all good.

Anybody have one to top that?

John

I didn't deserve any of them. They were all pretty much luck.

Hope that will change next year.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

One that comes to mind was last year. Snap hooked a drive into the woods, but only had about 140 in and could get a pitching wedge up quick enough to go at the green. I picked what I thought was the right line to the green, then proceeded to pull it about 20 yards left of my intended line. When I got to the green, I was about 3 feet from the hole, and my pitch mark was less than a foot from the hole. It was definitely dumb luck, especially after two pretty bad shots.

Tyler Martin

As a +/-25 handicap I can honestly say that every birdie I've ever had was AWESOME!

Seriously, for every birdie I've made through pure dumb (good) luck, there's been a good shot that went bad due to that exact same pure dumb (bad) luck, so it all balances out. Golf is a game of bounces, some go your way, some don't.

The more I practice, the luckier I get.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

As a +/-25 handicap I can honestly say that every birdie I've ever had was AWESOME! Seriously, for every birdie I've made through pure dumb (good) luck, there's been a good shot that went bad due to that exact same pure dumb (bad) luck, so it all balances out. Golf is a game of bounces, some go your way, some don't. The more I practice, the luckier I get.

Ditto here.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

My worst birdie was on a par 5. I thinned a drive and it carried about 250 yards but rolled out 25 yards. Then I thinned a 5-iron and it rolled to 4 feet from the cup. Pulled my 4 foot putt 5 feet long, then my putt coming back just trickled in the right side.

I've had a few approach shots bounce off trees or drives get a good kick. Anytime I make a lag putt is a "worst" birdie too. :-P It's like hey ball, I'm just trying to get you close to the hole. Don't go in on me.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I've never had a bad birdie. Plenty that I felt a little dirty about, but they're all good! :-D
  • Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

My best 9 to date included one lucky chip in birdie so no complaints here. I'll take what I can get but after I looked back at my 2013 stats almost all my birdie or better scores were on the same holes. All my 2013 eagles were on the same hole. Not surprisingly nearly all my chances that I didn't make for birdie or better scores were on those holes as well. Just like almost all my double or worse score came on the same holes for courses I play often.

Dave :-)

I remember a birdie on a huge putt like tigers yesterday, 27 meters longs as well, yet I had two huge bumps to skate on. (cap agde golf hold n°2 a par 5).

Green way uphill I played it way long and the pin was in the front.

Huge left to right, (about 25 feet of break) roller coasting on two bumps the ball came to the second bump almost at a stop then accelerated huge to the middle of the hole and hit it hard enough to jump up 2-3 inches before falling in. the ball could have gone back down the FW and the hill 100 meters if it didn't take the hole.

the next stolen birdie is a flop shot yet very well hit on a perfect bounce vs ball contact. So the shot went way up but also was going 3-4 meters too long. Not, it hit the pin about 4 feet high and fell straight down in the hole, still can't believe  the shot went so straight to the pin and yet high enough for the pin to perfectly break the ball speed.

I was over the back of the green, sitting on a downhill lie. I was trying to slide the club underneath the ball and let it land softly on the green, but instead I bladed it. It shot forward, hit the flagstick, and dropped down for a three.

I then triple-bogeyed the next two holes.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

No. 9 hole at old Eagle Green (now a subdivision) near University of North Texas. Uphill 505-yard par 5. Pushed my drive into the rough, rolled it up against a tree trunk.

Took a penalty-stroke drop (unplayable), and hit a 5W over the trees and into the No. 9 fairway. From 60 yards out, I hit a half PW that lands a foot short of the cup and trickles in for a birdie.

I deserved it, but could it have been an eagle with a straight drive?

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

They are all good. As Happy Gilmore would say, "Some might call it luck but I call it...well luck I guess". The one that stands out just because the course superintendant was riding around watching our game and said it beat anything he ever saw: Par 5 and hooked the daylights out of my tee shot to two fairways over. Hooked the daylights out of a 3 wood for my second, across and beyond another fairway, to almost off of the golf course beside a maintenance shed. I'm left with 200 yards with a row of trees in my way and had to hit a shot that couldn't get more than 5 feet off of the ground to get under the lowest limbs. Hit the lowest and hardest 3 iron I could hit and it went under the trees, rolled through a swale, across a cart path, up on the green to about 2 feet from the hole. The superintendant was in his cart close to the green and he asked me if that was a birdie. When I said yes he said he had never seen anything like that in his life.

Short par 3, hozel rocket up a hillside, while putting club away hear playing partner yelling go in the hole, damn thing stopped a few inches from going in.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

I've never had a bad birdie. Plenty that I felt a little dirty about, but they're all good!

Ditto that..........

I've hit some terrible shots on a hole and recovered to make birdie.......To make birdie, there was a great shot along the way to recover after a bad one to make the birdie deserved.  The same goes for making par.   The most satisfying pars are those made after completely butchering a hole..LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

one in particular sticks out - really ugly shots + some really good luck = birdie.........short par 4 on a course I play a lot.  Hole is maybe 320 at most.  There are woods and water left off the tee and water all down the left side. Not a hard hole really - as long as you don't go left. Anyway, hit my tee shot - hit it hard but really low. Hit the water left, but skipped out, and into the rough. Maybe 150 left to go - miss the green to the right and land on a hill with a downhill lie. Chip shot lands and tracks, into the hole for a 3. Always happy to card a birdie, no matter how ugly it gets :whistle:

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

First birdie I made and worst out of the two so far. I'm on the short tees on a par 4. Slice my 3 hybrid clear off the fairway. But it's a short par four with the green on the right. Get up looking for my ball and see the mark on the green and see my ball in rough. Putt it on, putt again for my first birdie.

NIke VRS covert

Mini driver 14 degree

Nike covert 5 wood

taylormade sldr 4 hybrid

Taylormade Rocketballz Irons:  6-aw

Taylormade atv  56,60,64

Jpl Putter

Nxt tour s yellow

Note: This thread is 3671 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!