IGNORED

After hitting a lot of balls???

Note: This thread is 3672 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys, I need to know if anybody knows what this issue is.  When I go to the driving range to practice, initially I'm hitting all my irons and hybrids pretty good.  Good ball contact and divots in front of the ball.  However, it seems after I hit a bunch of balls (maybe 40 or more) I can never hit my irons or hybrids well after that.  I start hitting too far behind the ball (fat) or hitting thin shots.  Sometimes even the occasional skull.  This also seems to be a problem when I play.  If I hit the driving range before I play and hit some balls, by the time I play a few holes I'm hitting fat and thin shots again.  Everything except my driver that is. My aim is straight the majority of the time but fat and thin shots make distance control impossible.

I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions as to what my issue is.  I wonder if I'm getting tired and taking shortcuts by throwing my hands instead of making a full turn or something like that.

I  would appreciate any suggestions.

~RightEdge

it all depends are you rapid fire, hitting balls if so make sure to go through your routine, if you don't have i suggest getting 1 and use i in the range as well as on the course.

i get like that sometimes when i start to just go through the motions instead of staying focused on what I'm doing. my hands start to get to far forward in the set up and i start to drop the club to far to the inside

Hey guys, I need to know if anybody knows what this issue is.  When I go to the driving range to practice, initially I'm hitting all my irons and hybrids pretty good.  Good ball contact and divots in front of the ball.  However, it seems after I hit a bunch of balls (maybe 40 or more) I can never hit my irons or hybrids well after that.  I start hitting too far behind the ball (fat) or hitting thin shots.  Sometimes even the occasional skull.  This also seems to be a problem when I play.  If I hit the driving range before I play and hit some balls, by the time I play a few holes I'm hitting fat and thin shots again.  Everything except my driver that is. My aim is straight the majority of the time but fat and thin shots make distance control impossible.

I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions as to what my issue is.  I wonder if I'm getting tired and taking shortcuts by throwing my hands instead of making a full turn or something like that.

I  would appreciate any suggestions.

~RightEdge

fatigue.

could be not getting weight forward enough or legs staying too bent through contact.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree with this. When you play on the course it is usually a few minutes between shot, basically take a little more time between shots on the range. Like a quote I saw about lee Westwood somewhere "hit less balls, but with more of a purpose". Good luck, now hopefully I can take my own advice. Been working on this in my practice sessions and it is easier said than done.

Kurt

@RightEdge ,

It's fatigue as @Mr. Desmond mentioned.  Also, just pounding balls at the range is less than ideal practice if you want to improve.

Check out this thread and others in the Swing Thoughts section.

I go to the range to work on one or at most two things.  I do a little warm up, such as pitch shots, and then do the practice.  I've found that if I go just to hit balls, I end up getting worse because I fall into my old bad habits.  Last year, I fell out of this routine for a while, and my game suffered.  I have vowed not to repeat the mistake this year.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

@RightEdge ,

It's fatigue as @Mr. Desmond mentioned.  Also, just pounding balls at the range is less than ideal practice if you want to improve.

Check out this thread and others in the Swing Thoughts section.

I go to the range to work on one or at most two things.  I do a little warm up, such as pitch shots, and then do the practice.  I've found that if I go just to hit balls, I end up getting worse because I fall into my old bad habits.  Last year, I fell out of this routine for a while, and my game suffered.  I have vowed not to repeat the mistake this year.

Also, welcome to the site.

Fatigue makes you more sluggish. When I took up the game again 20 years ago, I hit ball after ball looking for the secret and was injured. Well, the secret is in the thread that @boogielicious m entioned.  You also need feedback as in video. They even sell sticks that hold your iPhone so you can video easily if you don't have a high speed camera.

I work on a few specifics and go slowly. It takes an hour to hit 50 balls, and that may be too fast. In between swings, I am rehearsing the keys I want. I also get a kid's club about 2-3 feet long and work inside the house when it's cold or during the work day.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Not sure how old you are but I don't think 40 balls should make you too tired to execute your regular swing. Sometimes once you get warmed up and hit a couple of good shots you can get overconfident and subconsciously begin swinging harder and harder which will lead to some big mishits. Or you'll start trying to make swing adjustment for every little push, pull, fade, etc until you lose your natural swing. I would suggest working on tempo and abandoning all swing thoughts once you get your swing into that initial groove.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Not sure how old you are but I don't think 40 balls should make you too tired to execute your regular swing. Sometimes once you get warmed up and hit a couple of good shots you can get overconfident and subconsciously begin swinging harder and harder which will lead to some big mishits. Or you'll start trying to make swing adjustment for every little push, pull, fade, etc until you lose your natural swing. I would suggest working on tempo and abandoning all swing thoughts once you get your swing into that initial groove.

I think you may have identified my issue. I hit some really good straight shots then start swinging harder trying to get max distance. Then as you mentioned I get some really BAD mishits.  Skulls, thin or fat shots.  Then I start adjusting my swing.  I never really thought of it that way but maybe that is some of my problem.

Also, welcome to the site.

Fatigue makes you more sluggish. When I took up the game again 20 years ago, I hit ball after ball looking for the secret and was injured. Well, the secret is in the thread that @boogielicious mentioned.  You also need feedback as in video. They even sell sticks that hold your iPhone so you can video easily if you don't have a high speed camera.

I work on a few specifics and go slowly. It takes an hour to hit 50 balls, and that may be too fast. In between swings, I am rehearsing the keys I want. I also get a kid's club about 2-3 feet long and work inside the house when it's cold or during the work day.

Yea I have cooled down a lot.  I used to hit over 200 balls everytime I went to the driving range. I don't hit that many now because all I was doing was getting tired and accomplishing nothing.  I will look online for this iphone sticks to record my swing.

Note: This thread is 3672 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!