IGNORED

Hideki Matsuyama buries putter 5 feet away from hole...

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 3691 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

And you wonder why some do not post! Calling someone out for pre-madonna over primadonna or over opinions, really!  Wow is all I have to say about that!!!!!!

He said he was only joking or did you miss that.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

No I did not miss that. Did you miss the response. Lets keep this about Hideki and his putter.

Let's keep it to whatever the mods tell us to keep it to. The story is as much about Poulter. On that. Of all the players to throw a "silver spoon" comment at...you throw it at Poulter.... Poulter was born and raised in a very working class town in England. He had to work in the pro shop from 14 to fund his golfing career. He had nothing easy, he wasn't recognised as a top talent until relatively late on as a kid, the battle he had to endeavour to become a Pro shaped his determination on the course that we have seen on numerous ocassions. I'm not his biggest fan, I don't even like him. Opinions go down better if they are educated ones.

• Administrator

Okay, moving beyond the prima donna stuff, please… :)

Poulter was IMO the bigger twat in this series of events. Both made errors in judgment, but Poulter's was premeditated and has thus far been without an apology.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Okay, moving beyond the prima donna stuff, please… :)

Poulter was IMO the bigger twat in this series of events. Both made errors in judgment, but Poulter's was premeditated and has thus far been without an apology.

Have to agree with this, and I like IJP. The original sin was way smaller than advertised.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

I don't follow Poulter other than I like his apparel line (and you can find it discounted). But perhaps he is compensating for the fact that his recognition and talent were not recognized until later in life, and he still feels the need to fight for attention.... ugh, the armchair psychologist.

From what y'all say, he tweets too often at the expense of others. As some have said, he over-reacted and should apologize. He seems an emotional type (those eyes), and when one putt can cost him $100k or more at the upper end (not this week for him), he apparently gets furious. One can't blame him, but one can fault him for his method of venting.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

No, I can blame him. He was completely wrong in this situation and had PLENTY of time to think about it. This was purely a publicity stunt on his part and no manner of "venting." You have a 21-22 yr old tour rookie slightly overreacting in the heat of the moment on a nonsense day of golf vs. a mid-late 30 yr old tour veteran who took a few hours to finish his round and then eat and then go to tweet and write out several lines of text and STILL click "tweet."

That's not venting; that's staging a stunt to get attention. Poulter is the moron. I wish Matsuyama told Poulter to piss off. Then again, that's exactly what the moron wanted to happen to extend the life of his stunt.

Matsuyama probably needed a reminder to refrain from doing what he did, but it didn't need to be addressed the way it was.

This event is just another reason to hate social media.

Bill M

No, I can blame him. He was completely wrong in this situation and had PLENTY of time to think about it. This was purely a publicity stunt on his part and no manner of "venting." You have a 21-22 yr old tour rookie slightly overreacting in the heat of the moment on a nonsense day of golf vs. a mid-late 30 yr old tour veteran who took a few hours to finish his round and then eat and then go to tweet and write out several lines of text and STILL click "tweet."

That's not venting; that's staging a stunt to get attention. Poulter is the moron. I wish Matsuyama told Poulter to piss off. Then again, that's exactly what the moron wanted to happen to extend the life of his stunt.

So you know Poulter and his intent?

Man, you are good... :-$

Nice venting...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

So you know Poulter and his intent?

Man, you are good...

Nice venting...

Yes, I do. It's called inductive reasoning. Scientists don't KNOW the big bang happened, but based on the evidence, it was a logical occurrence. Based on the evidence here, Poulter was staging a publicity stunt. He greatly exaggerated the "damage" caused by Matsuyama AND posted in a public forum when he could've "vented" on the course, in the locker room, in his car, etc.

It's logical to me that something done, purposefully and deliberately, in a very public forum is a publicity stunt.

I guess you can be that guy who denies climate change, evolution, etc, etc. b/c noone KNOWS those things happened/are happening.

Yes, I do. It's called inductive reasoning. Scientists don't KNOW the big bang happened, but based on the evidence, it was a logical occurrence. Based on the evidence here, Poulter was staging a publicity stunt. He greatly exaggerated the "damage" caused by Matsuyama AND posted in a public forum when he could've "vented" on the course, in the locker room, in his car, etc.

It's logical to me that something done, purposefully and deliberately, in a very public forum is a publicity stunt.

I guess you can be that guy who denies climate change, evolution, etc, etc. b/c noone KNOWS those things happened/are happening.

You're off-base.

If you would have read my post, you will see that I faulted Poulter for his method of venting.

But then, you were so into your "rational" reasoning, you may not have considered it.

Perhaps Matsuyama and Poulter have a history ... perhaps Poulter has seen this guy's temper flare up previously. Perhaps he thought the guy needed a public beat-down. Perhaps Matsuyama ripped farts in the locker room and Poulter suffered from the methane poisoning...

Who knows?

Oh, I forgot. You know. Might change your handle to "Carnac the Maginificent."

You're off-base.

If you would have read my post, you will see that I faulted Poulter for his method of venting.

But then, you were so into your "rational" reasoning, you may not have considered it.

Perhaps Matsuyama and Poulter have a history ... perhaps Poulter has seen this guy's temper flare up previously. Perhaps he thought the guy needed a public beat-down. Perhaps Matsuyama ripped farts in the locker room and Poulter suffered from the methane poisoning...

Who knows?

Oh, I forgot. You know. Might change your handle to "Carnac the Maginificent."

Yes, you're finally correct, I do know thanks to inductive reasoning. Perhaps someone just turned up the thermostat on the earth? Perhaps we're all living in a dream world and nothing is real. Perhaps gravity doesn't exist. Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps. Everything you just said is nonsense and well beyond a reasonable doubt. 16 yr difference in age and from different parts of the world. A tour rookie w/ ZERO history of temper problems (including this "event"). A well-known attention-seeker. A clear situation of "sensationalism." No, no, he's just venting about a non-issue, I mean look at his clothes.

I'm glad you like poulter's clothes. If I'm ever accused of a crime, I hope you're on the jury, I'll make sure to wear some Poulter designed clothing to court.

From the NYTimes:

Ian Poulter criticized Hideki Matsuyama on Twitter and referred to him as an “idiot” for damaging the 13th green at Doral on Friday with his putter and not repairing it. Matsuyama apologized to him Saturday morning before they teed off together in the Cadillac Championship.

Matsuyama missed a 7-foot par putt in the second round Friday and slammed his putter into the green, leaving what one caddie described as a half-inch gash. Poulter was in the group behind. The damage was in the line of Charl Schwartzel’s 12-foot par putt, and a rules official was called out to repair the damage before Schwartzel putted. He missed and made bogey.

The incident escaped notice until Poulter took to Twitter late Friday and said, “Why should Matsuyama leave a crater in the green for others to putt over, or have to call a referee to repair the damage. Idiot.

• Administrator
From the NYTimes:

That's nothing we didn't know already. It's Poulter's same word, and the word of a caddie.

Watch the video.

And as has been said already: both players were in the wrong. Hideki for damaging the green (however much or however little), and Poulter for handling it the way he did.

One did it in the heat of the moment and was unaware of the damage, and has apologized. The other had hours to consider how to handle things and still proceeded to handle it the way he did. This wasn't Ian Poulter repeatedly cursing at me in full view of 50 children and hundreds of other fans immediately after missing a par putt on a par five. This was reasoned, considered, and entirely unprofessional.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

From GolfWeek:

Matsuyama, 22, had struggled during the day making the turn at 4-over 40 and when he missed a seven foot putt and slammed his putter in the green before walking off the 13th green.

When the group behind Matsuyama that included Poulter, Jason Dufner and Charl Schwartzel reached the green, the indentation was large enough and deep enough for Schwartzel to request a rules official to repair the area before he putted.

“It was bad,” Schwartzel said of the hole. “You could almost see what shape putter it was, what name putter it was, it was deep.”

At 9:37 Friday night, Ian Poulter started his rant on Twitter via his account, @IanJamesPoulter:

"Playing with Matsuyama tomo. He buried his putter in the 13th green 5 ft from the hole, Referee had to repair the crater. Because he didn't."

He continued:

"Im no saint and first to say. But that was disgusting. I wouldn't bury a putter in a green 5 ft from a hole and have players behind deal with it."

"Why should Matsuyama leave a crater in the green for others to putt over, or have to call a referee to repair the damage. Idiot."

"I can't wait to. @Lainger66 are you going to speak to him like a man or just blast him on twitter like all the other keyboard warriors?”

Matsuyama spoke about damaging the green Friday after his 1-under 71 Saturday.

"I didn't really realize it had damaged the green that badly," he said. I did hit the green with my putter, but I didn't notice it, realize it, but the group behind did, and that's what counts."

Matsuyama also said that he "felt really bad" after hearing about the reactions Saturday morning. He said, "All I can do is apologize for what happened," which is exactly what he did when came to Doral on Saturday morning. Before his round, he managed to seek out all three players in the group that played behind him.

He caught Dufner and Schwartzel before their rounds in player dining.

Dufner confirmed the apology, but would not say anything else citing that it was between the players and not for the media.

“I don’t think he needed to apologize to me,” Schwartzel said. “We all get cross, it’s a tough game. Especially yesterday and if you did do something like that all I said is you just need to repair it. We’ve all gone through our stages where the game gets to you and things like that happen hopefully he learned just to repair it.”

Matsuyama found Poulter on the range before he started his preparation for the round. With his translator, Matsuyama walked the 30 yards over to Poulter and apologized.

“I made loads of mistakes,” Poulter said to Matsuyama. “If you’re going to do it repair it. We all make mistakes and that’s fine.”

The two shook hands and Poulter said for Matsuyama to play well today.

That was it.

When Poulter finished his practice and walked off the practice range he passed Bill Haas who said, “I liked that tweet last night.”

Poulter turned with a rye smile and kept on walking.

• Administrator

Jerry, why do you keep posting this stuff? It doesn't add anything new. If anything, it just keeps making Poulter look like more and more of a twat.

Do you understand that nobody is saying Matsuyama was without blame, but that Poulter could have handled this much, much better than he did?

Matsuyama:

• Didn't realize he'd done it.
  • Apologized to everyone despite "not needing to" according to Schwartzel.
  • Will be more careful in the future.

Poulter:

• Exaggerated from "almost" being able to see the shape of the putter (and really, watch the video) to "burying a putter" (twice) and a "crater"
  • Called Hideki an "Idiot"
  • Was called out by a fan, and even responded to that fan without showing any class.
  • Has not apologized.
  • Will probably continue to behave like a twat in the future, as he has in the past.

Why is this course of action so far out of line for Poulter:

• Have the green repaired.
  • Quietly speak to Hideki after the round to let him know what he did.

More evidence from 3rd parties... apparently the video, from that far off, did not show everything or the effect of damage on other players.

Someone posted a vid, why not post 3rd party statements?

I'm done.

Over

Out

Bon Nuit.

Note: This thread is 3691 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!