IGNORED

Hideki Matsuyama buries putter 5 feet away from hole...

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 3691 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

[QUOTE name="Valleygolfer" url="/t/73033/hideki-matsuyama-buries-putter-5-feet-away-from-hole/72#post_961208"] Anyone can be a Canadian president...[/QUOTE] Actually, nobody can. Canada doesn't have a president. :-P

Sure they can. Just no one will care.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sure they can. Just no one will care.

Technically they can't but you're right, we don't care. Most of us are more interested in the US election. Canada's politics are boring.

[QUOTE name="Valleygolfer" url="/t/73033/hideki-matsuyama-buries-putter-5-feet-away-from-hole/90#post_961217"] Sure they can. Just no one will care.[/QUOTE] Technically they can't but you're right, we don't care. Most of us are more interested in the US election. Canada's politics are boring.

You can take my place for caring here then...

• Administrator
Topic, please…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

Read more: http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/tour-confidential-tiger-woods-phil-mickelson-patrick-reed#ixzz2vcgBXQx4

5. Ian Poulter called Hideki Matsuyama an “idiot” on Twitter after Matsuyama slashed the 13th green in anger with his putter and didn’t fix it. What do you think of players calling out each other on social media? Do you think Poulter would have done the same thing to a more established player (e.g., Tiger)?

SHIPNUCK: It’s great fun, for sure, but a punk move. Handling it the old-school way would’ve been better -- that is, behind closed doors. Hideki was an easy target. No way Poults is that strident with a big name.

VAN SICKLE: I don't think Poulter is afraid to call anyone out. And what Matsuyama did was completely wrong. It's one mistake to do that, it's a worse mistake not to fix it. Somebody put a diaper on that baby when he's done with his tantrum. There is no excuse for behavior like that. Poulter was right on the money.

PASSOV: Poulter is such an opinionated, loose cannon, that it's always fun to see what he'll say on any topic. I don't think he would have called out Tiger or Phil, for instance, but Poults is king of social media these days, so you never know. I guess I'm from a different era, when these sorts of matters were handled privately, behind closed doors, but nowadays, everybody and everything seem to be an open book, so perhaps Poulter was within his rights in calling out Matsuyama.

GODICH: If you've got something to say to someone, say it. Don't hide behind social media. What was Poulter's motive -- to embarrass the guy? I'm confident that Matsuyama felt embarrassed enough and immediately knew he had done wrong. I'm also confident that his wallet will be considerably lighter sometime soon.

LYNCH: I imagine that Poulter would have chosen more judiciously from his poorly stocked language cupboard had it been directed at a bigger star than Matsuyama. The real question is whether Tim Finchem will scale his fine according to the star wattage of Poulter's target.

RITTER: I enjoy players calling each other out on any form of media -- Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Foursquare, Three-square, Blink, Blark, Flark, TV interviews, or, if all else fails, face-to-face works well, too. What you think of Poulter, or the point he was trying to make, is almost secondary to the fact that this episode was wildly amusing. It had some real heat. Rivalries are good for the game. Heated rivalries are fantastic. More, please.

SENS: I think it's juvenile but entirely unsurprising. Asking a guy like Poulter not to vent his thoughts on Twitter is like giving a toddler a rattle and telling him not to rattle it. The impulse control just isn't there. To his credit, Poulter said he was also going to have a face-to-face with Matsuyama. To his discredit, I don't think he would have tweeted the same thing about a more established peer. Matsuyama, who is a terrific player but still something of an outsider in the Tour ranks -- in no small part because of a language barrier -- made him an easier mark.

Lots of agreement there that both players could have done things differently.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Swap Facebook for Twitter lololol

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

I really hate attitudes like Van Sickles and Ritters.

I'm not even sure who Van Sickle is trying to be edgy about; he talks about putting a diaper on a tantruming baby but then says Poulter is "right on the money"? Is he implying Matsuyama was tantruming? If so, that makes no sense.

Ritters enjoying player taunting and calling people out and stuff of that nature is really lame. These are grown-ass men playing a grown-ass sport and if the enjoyment you get comes from them clashing personally instead of professionally, then I think you're missing the point.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

I really hate attitudes like Van Sickles and Ritters.

I'm not even sure who Van Sickle is trying to be edgy about; he talks about putting a diaper on a tantruming baby but then says Poulter is "right on the money"? Is he implying Matsuyama was tantruming? If so, that makes no sense.

Ritters enjoying player taunting and calling people out and stuff of that nature is really lame. These are grown-ass men playing a grown-ass sport and if the enjoyment you get comes from them clashing personally instead of professionally, then I think you're missing the point.

I agree, there's no place in golf for trash talking.  I don't want the players to be robots but they shouldn't be disrespectful either.

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator

I agree, there's no place in golf for trash talking.  I don't want the players to be robots but they shouldn't be disrespectful either.

It can be a fine line, but it seems most people would agree that it's pretty tiny in Poulter's rear-view mirror.

I think Poulter had a few snifters of brandy and along with a continued annoyance of the situation and other "yes men" from his circle, decided it was a good PR move to rape a nobody on twitter. I agree no one was in the right, I have no reason at this moment to think Hediki did this out of malice, but out of frustration.

Neither one has a free pass but if I was to say who was more wrong I would have to go with Poulter. He was being righteous and self serving..... as usual.

• Upvote 1

Quote:

If anything, it just keeps making Poulter look like more and more of a twat.

I don't think Poulter is a "twat" per se . He's just got that slightly cocksure, Jack the Lad way about him. Walk into any pub in the southeast of England and you'll always find someone like that with a pint of Stella in his hand, probably wearing an Arsenal shirt, too, just like Ian himself.

But I agree that social media is a poor choice of forum for airing grievances with one's peers.

I don't think Poulter is a "twat" per se . He's just got that slightly cocksure, Jack the Lad way about him. Walk into any pub in the southeast of England and you'll always find someone like that with a pint of Stella in his hand, probably wearing an Arsenal shirt, too, just like Ian himself.

I dunno, that sounds like a twat to me...

• Upvote 2

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I just read through this whole thread for the first time. My impressions:

Matsuyama screwed up.

Poulter acted like a douche.

Apparently twat is the new buzzword here.

Tyler Martin

Quote:
I dunno, that sounds like a twat to me...

I think twat is way too harsh , although, admittedly, the behaviour could be construed as twattish . Wanker would be uncalled for, too. The milder knob is probably more befitting.

Note: This thread is 3691 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!