IGNORED

G20 vs. G25: Performance difference?

Note: This thread is 3673 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

At a February Ping demo, I got to hit the G25 and the new i25. Both had the stock R.flex CFS shaft, which I really like, and had good Flightscope numbers for me. The G25 flew about a club longer, so I have been considering them.

A couple of years back I hit the G20 irons, and they flew pretty good. This week, a slightly used set of G20s - black dot - have shown up in the local golf shop for $450.

(New G25s would cost about $700).

Does anyone have views on performance differences between the two models, if any?

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I wouldn't think there would be too much of a difference... Same lofts, very similar offset (G25 is very slightly less offset), and same club maker obviously. My understanding is that they apparently look better at address ( not as bulky, although still too bully for my taste). Does the set of G20's have the shaft you like? That would probably be the biggest factor. Also, hopefully that local shop would let you take them for a spin, or even game them since they're already used. Let us know how it turns out

i bought a set of G20's this fall and really like the clubs, but if your gonna buy the used set for 450$ why not get fitted and get a brand new set of G20's for 550$??? think something to consider . . .

Chris,

Good info on price. Just checked, and G20 price has been cut by by $150 down to $550.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

No real difference in performance IMO - the G25 has a few tweaks to make it more pleasing to the eye. The top line is slightly thinner, as is the sole, whist the whole package looks more rounded and more of a players iron rather than a clunkier GI iron. The actual performance is more or less identical. The G25 just looks prettier. If you can ignore the obvious sales pitch of a newer iron in a newer package, then savings can be had. On the other hand, if you keep your eyes open for a used set of G25's - which will inevitably filter into the used market - then you could have your cake and eat it so to speak.

Does anyone have views on performance differences between the two models, if any?

No difference IMO other than the appearance at address. G25's are less "chunky" looking than the G20 irons.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

i bought a set of G20's this fall and really like the clubs, but if your gonna buy the used set for 450$ why not get fitted and get a brand new set of G20's for 550$??? think something to consider . . .

If you live near a Ping center they will adjust for free (while I waited in my case) and it is a great experience as well. If you don't live nearby I think they still do the adjustments for free and you only pay for shipping. Just a thought.

Note: This thread is 3673 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!