• Announcements

• Welcome to the New Site!   09/30/2015

Welcome to the brand new TST! Click the title of this announcement to read more about what's new and different here at The Sand Trap!       We're using some new software to power this forum, and while this means some change, it's for the better. However, there will be a few bumps, and one of those may be that you may have a little trouble logging in to your account. So try this: Log in with your existing username and password.If that fails, reset your password here: http://thesandtrap.com/lostpassword/ .If that fails, PM either @mvmac or @iacas and we'll help you out.After that, check out this thread to share any bugs you find along with your likes/dislikes, and check out this thread to see what awesome new features you can use on this site. Finally, once you're on the site, do a few things if you don't mind: Check your account settings. This is where you can clean up your signature.Edit your profile (to possibly include your GAME Golf account). Do this by clicking "Edit Profile" on your name in the top right corner of the site.Add or replace the cover photo on your profile. They're now Facebook-like dimensions. Change your avatar if it looks distorted, too.
    • Failed Logins   10/06/2015

If you attempt to log in and can not, please email erik@thesandtrap.com or mike@thesandtrap.com (or both) to have your account password re-set. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Broken Laptop Power Jack

2 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any experience with opening a laptop computer and repairing it? My wife's Samsung Book 4 has a broken power jack. I'm guessing it must have suffered some kind trauma that caused it to break. A small piece of the black plastic on the end of the power cord is chipped off, but I think it still works. More important is the jack in the computer itself seems to be damaged. One of the clips is broken on the inside of it and the piece in the middle seems to be missing altogether.

I've contacted Samsung, and their response to me was to call some parts dealer to buy a new power cord. I'm not sure they understand what the issue is.

Anyway, since I have experience with fixing electronics, I'm just going buy a new jack, soldering iron, etc. and do this myself. I just wanted to know if anyone has any experience or tips they'd like to share. Any information on potential hazards, tricks, or just general advice would be welcome.

And yes, I understand I'm asking on a golf forum about computer repair :-P

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Take photos as you go so you can reverse steps. Magnetically tipped screwdriver helps. Screwdrivers for eyeglasses. Have air in a can ready to blow out dust.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• Gun Laws
      By iacas · Posted
      I think it's still true that something like 95% of gun crimes in the U.S. (or gun deaths, perhaps) are minority-on-minority crimes/murders. This is an economic problem, not a gun control problem. Inner-city people are killing other inner-city people over drugs and other stuff. Remove that, and suicides, and the U.S. gun crime rates are on par with other countries. Canada has more guns per capita than the U.S. and doesn't have the gun crime problem we have. They're a lot like us, too: it's not like comparing Japanese or Swedish culture (just to pick two fairly different cultures) to our own. I have two guns. Neither are registered so far as I know, but both required me to complete a background check when I purchased them in the state in which I lived at the time, about 12 years ago. They remain locked up safe and out of the way, but I can get to them and load the 9mm in 30 seconds or less if necessary. Someone said it before, though: nobody's minds are going to be changed. So I'll leave it at that.
    • Stretches to improve flexibility
      By boogielicious · Posted
      Flexible Golf Swing by Roger Fredericks  It looks like Roger has updated the book. Fix Your Body, Fix Your Swing by Joey D. You can also get a DVD Joey D Golf Body
    • Gun Laws
      By Pretzel · Posted
      An interesting topic is the one of people legally carrying and perfecting others during a shooting. I don't think people realize how inaccurate most shooters/handguns are. I'll provide a little perspective for that.  In a competition scenario, at 25 yards, the best shooters in the state (in 4-H who grew up shooting their while life) can put 10 rounds into a stationary target the size of a grapefruit or small cantaloupe in approximately 2-3 minutes of slow fire. In rapid fire (shooting one handed, 5 shots in 10 seconds) that grouping spreads to be 18-30 inches wide. The second scenario is more plausible of a grouping in a stressful scenario (since in a real scenario you would always use two hands anyways). Shooting silhouettes (various birds, a pig, and a ram that are all not to scale) the longest target that is reasonably expected to be hit using open sights is the turkey or pig at 60 yards. The ram can be hit at 100, but most use scopes or red dot sights for that if they want to be successful.  For a carrying individual to be remotely effective, they would need to be within 25 yards of the shooter. They would also need a clear line of fire with nobody directly in front of or behind the shooter (thar 18-30" grouping might not hit him). In addition to that, they need to - obviously - not get shot themselves. The circumstances are pretty specific as to when this could happen, so you'd need an awful lot of the population to be trained (these groupings are all for people who shoot competitively) and carrying for it to make a difference. Most untrained individuals can't put 10 rounds on a paper plate at only 7-10 yards, so that part is very important. 
    • The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)
      By nevets88 · Posted
      New piece in biz magazine, Success. I respectfully disagree w/the elite talent statement. Maybe you don't need elite level, but there's a certain threshold that needs to be met. And I disagree w/the mental/MBA-ish approach. The swing's the thing, there's some mental, but not commensurate to the importance attached to it as implied by the piece. http://www.success.com/article/the-10000-hour-theory-does-practice-make-perfect    
    • Gun Laws
      By Braivo · Posted
      Same for me. Source.
  • Images

• Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today
  • Blog Entries