IGNORED

Mock Instructor Trials #002 - Mark

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3573 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Video :

Ball Contact: Average to Good

Ball Flight: 7 iron goes 150 yards, low to medium height, hits mostly draws, misses are pulls.

Current Handicap (at time of video): 7

Physical Limitations: Some back issues. Lack of mobility in the thoracic spine but nothing major.

Questions for the Mock Instructors:

Which Key do you call this lesson? Why?

What do you prioritize as top piece? Why?

How do you attack that piece and what results would you like to see (in that piece and any related pieces)?

Don't put them in spoilers. Someone could just click on those if they wanted to. Just take in the above, and post your responses. Do it on your honor that you won't look at anyone else's videos before posting.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Got the Mae West move going on -- "Come up and see me sometime."

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

I'm way less confident about this one than I was with the last one ... and the last one I failed miserably.  So, this is likely going to be about 180 from the correct answer.  Anyway, here's my guess:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions for the Mock Instructors:

Key #1.  His pivot needs work.

Getting the left shoulder to go down towards the ball on the backswing.  Currently it comes across and displaces his chin, so much so that it appears he's looking directly at the camera at A4 of the DTL view.  His head rotates so far that I'm not sure if he can still see the ball, and it comes up quite a bit as well.

How do you attack that piece and what results would you like to see (in that piece and any related pieces)?

Flare the front foot out a touch more, and then get him feel like the left knee flexes forward (towards the ball, instead of towards his right knee) and try to get him to point the left shoulder at the ball.  This should also help center the pivot some more, and maybe he won't sway as much as it looks like he is currently.

I can't see his grip well but looks like the left hand may be a bit stronger than I would like to see. Priority is the backswing and Key #1. He starts his backswing with a sway so we have to help him start the swing with the hands coming deep. Need to have the hands start inside get the left shoulder down to make sure we keep the ball in his eye sight. He loses the view of the ball on the backswing then has to find it again on the downswing.

As a side note he has very good hand eye coordination to swing taking his eyes off the ball like that and hit it so well. This would be a great guy to teach.

Michael

Key 4, Diagonal Swing Path

I believe his lack of of being close to the Diagonal Swing Path is leading him to suffer in Key number 1.

First piece would be to get him to turn on a steeper angle. Get that right shoulder to aim more towards the ball and really focus on getting that stretch in the right side in the back swing.

Second would be to get his hands raise up later in the backswing. Get better turn rates with his arms compared to his hips. He gets very vertical in with his hands creating no depth. I would get him to do some swings were he hardly moves his hands at all, just creating depth with his body turn alone. From there then get him to raise his hands up to the top.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Ball Contact: Average to Good

Ball Flight: 7 iron goes 150 yards, low to medium height, hits mostly draws, misses are pulls.

Current Handicap (at time of video): 7

Physical Limitations: Some back issues. Lack of mobility in the thoracic spine but nothing major.

How do you attack that piece and what results would you like to see (in that piece and any related pieces)?

Key#1 Steady head.

I think there are a number of things to fix, but what jumps out for me is that at the 0:24 second mark in the DTL view, his head is pretty much facing the camera and there's little chance the ball is in his central vision.

I think the hip sway backwards at the start sets things off on the wrong foot so that there's no way he can get to the top correctly. He has great eye-hand coordination to get it all back at the finish. He's obviously a good golfer and makes consistent contact.

I think the following videos:

Key #1: Quickie Center Pivot

Key #1: Stick in the Sternum

Key #4: Stick in Belt Loop

Results might be for him to keep his head mostly gyroscopically stable in the mirror as he rotates hips and shoulders back.

I look forward to hearing what the official answer will be.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

I was watching this swing tonight and thought of Mark's backswing. Clearly Mark's is longer but there are some similarities.

Michael

Clearly Mark's is longer but there are some similarities.

Yes.......and no ;-)

Just busting chops, I get what you're saying. Will post up pics of what we worked on in the next day or so. Maybe I'll get to see him tomorrow and get some updated video.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator

C'mon guys, get your answers in… :-D

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

To me the shoulder turn appears to be extremely flat and the head moves quite a bit.

Path appears to be decent, and impact alignments look ok (could be better) as well.

I would probably have him work on moving his left should down a bit more on the backswing, hopefully this could help keep the head steady.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Key 4 in the downswing is actually pretty good.  A very strange backswing with the student looking at the camera DTL at A4.

I would call it working on Key 1 to achieve key 2 and  3 better.  Maybe working on more passive arms going back with the stretching of the right side to make a better pivot from A1-A4.   Getting key #2 and #3 properly would be the goal to me.  You can see he is almost tipping back just a touch at impact and the in-line impact is starting to break down because the right heel is not being pulled off the ground until after with weight transfer and hip rotation.  Working on this would be a priority in the downswing, but would come maybe in the next lesson.  The key 1 work should start to clean some of it up.  There might be a couple set up changes as well including moving the ball forward a little bit and bumping the handle up a bit towards the left inside of the thigh.  In other words starting more at a position of in-line impact to be able to return there and achieve a better key #3 as well.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Key #2 and Key #3 are what I would focus on at this point. The reason being is that he has no wrist hinge in his back swing so he will never be able to get weight forward or flat left wrist at impact properly unless you call it out. I would have him do back swing drills with socks under his arms using a mirror. He needs to think about getting his wrist to hinge somewhere in the back swing. This should put him in a better place to start working on getting his weight forward and a flat left wrist at impact. I would have him do the two drills linked below to help him change the picture:

Kurt

I made a video with my analysis if anyone wants to hear me ramble on about this guy's swing for like 8 or 9 minutes :-D Here's a basic summary though of what I talk about in the vid:

Setup priority: 1) does he have a ten finger grip? What's up with that? It looks like the left hand needs a tad strengthening and his hands need to be more unified. 2) Flare out both feet several degrees (10-20)

Backswing issues: 1) Shoulder turn is too flat causing the head to translate back and up. It also changes the path of the hands. 2) The hips slide back away from the target and the lead knee collapses too much towards the right knee.

Backswing priority: 1) The shoulder turn needs to turn steeper obviously. It should be 90 degrees relative to his address posture. This will help keep the head steadier for more consistent contact 2) He needs to feel more pressure in the lead foot so the hips and lead knee doesn't translate so far back.

Downswing priority: He needs to thrust his pelvis forward so his belt buckle raises a few more inches than it does right now. He'll gain some speed and probably relieve some stress on his lumbar spine (I also discuss his arms and the right arm's excessive bend).

OK, here's my Jetvolvr Video :-P

Constantine

Oops, I didn't read the stupid OP. My bad.

Sorry for the double post:

Which Key do you call this lesson? Why? Key no.1. See my above post.

What do you prioritize as top piece? Why? Steeper shoulders. His are way too flat.

How do you attack that piece and what results would you like to see (in that piece and any related pieces)? I'd attack it just by explaining to him the theory behind the change. Then I'd put a club by his right ear and tell him to make half backswing where his head doesn't touch the club I'm holding. As he does this, I'd monitor his lower body location to see if it was translating back, and I'd inform him of it if he continued to do it.

The other stuff I mentioned in my video I think would be important for him to be aware of, including the downswing pieces I talk about; however, it is possible that if this was an evolvr lesson, I wouldn't necessarily tell him about his downswing issues. If it was in person, I probably would, especially if I had several hours to work with him.

Constantine

Looks like there are many good things about this swing. Having said that, here's my guess as to priorities. There are two things that appear to be immediate needs: steepening the shoulder turn and getting more weight forward. It seems that his excessive head swivel and outside takeaway may both be necessitated by the flat shoulder turn. Steepen those shoulders and just let the shoulders move the arms early into the backswing (ie. don't try to lift your arms immediately). Getting more weight forward into impact should help with losing so much lag and get him more consistently hitting down on the ball. That's my amateur guess...

Actually, screw what I said about his trail armpit in my video, I need to add this I think. It'll be interesting to see what the correct answer is at the end. But here's what I need to add to the backswing priorities... meaning what I said about the downswing possibly shouldn't even be brought up to him if this is an evolvr lesson... and if it's just a one hour lesson, it probably should'nt be brought up to him. If it's a clinic, then I think I can tell him about the downswing stuff.

OK, some images I need to add about his backswing.

As said before: 1) Shoulders Turn too flat 2) hips translate away from the target 3) lead knee kicks in excessively and 4) the arms lift and overload

Now, initially, I wasn't going to mention the arm lifting because I thought him turning his shoulders steeper would fix that... and it would fix some of it... but I think this guy needs to be told to not lift his arms. He also I think needs to be told about the pressure points in the trail armpit and why they are important.

If it's a clinic, his arms can release downward from there as his pelvis extends and thrusts and his legs straighten.

Upon a second viewing, I think I would change what his trail arm is doing, rather than just seeing if a steeper shoulder turn alone would change his hand path. I'm not 100% sure it would, so that's why I'm adding this part.

And yes, I'm changing him from a 2 plane swing to a 1 plane one... Oh well. :-)

Again, I think I'd use the same drill for him. Put a club by his right ear and have him make "half backswings" and then hitting the ball. His head shouldn't touch the grip of the club I'm holding. I'd monitor his lower body movement and inform when it's translating back excessively.

As he turns his shoulders steeper with a shorter backswing I'd ask him to maintain those pressure points in the trail armpit.

Then if we could get a chance to get to the downswing, I'd tell him what I wrote above: arms release downward, pelvis thrusts, legs extend more.

Constantine

Note: This thread is 3573 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!