IGNORED

Padraig Harrington treated for skin cancer

Crim
Note: This thread is 3661 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/golf/26288892

Apologies if this has been posted. I did a quick search and didn't see anything on the forum. This came as a surprise to me as I'm a massive Padraig fan and he didn't post anything on facebook....or at least I missed it. (he posts big journals about his game/life semi-frequently on facebook)

The way the article puts it...it's almost non-chalant. Doesn't seem too serious, I hope it stays that way and I hope he plays well tomorrow.

Padraig Harrington reveals he has had skin cancer treatment

Three-time major winner Padraig Harrington has revealed that he has undergone treatment for skin cancer.

Harrington, whose father Patrick died from cancer, underwent surgery for "sun spots" on his face and decided to speak out in a bid to raise awareness.

"I've had a number of skin cancers removed off my face," the 42-year-old Dubliner told Irish radio station Today FM's Last Word programme.

"When you get a symptom, don't ignore it. Do something about it."

Harrington withdrew from the 2005 Open at St Andrews after the death of his father from oesophageal cancer on the eve of the event.

Padraig Harrin

The two-times Open champion added: "My father had symptoms but didn't do anything about it. It's the nature of men in Ireland and certainly older men.

"I would be much more inclined to go and do something about it.

"Dealing with cancer is not what it was 10 years ago. Instead of just one treatment they are now looking at combining different types of treatment of dealing with oesophageal cancer.

"It is easier to clear these things up at the start rather than waiting until there is a problem. You can get treated and go on to live a much longer life."

Harrington won three majors in the space of 13 months between July 2007 and August 2008, achieving consecutive Open triumphs and also clinching the USPGA title.

However, the Dubliner has struggled in recent years and has failed to achieve a win on either the European or PGA Tours since his USPGA triumph in 2008.

He was a career-high third in the world rankings in 2008 but has since dropped steadily down the ratings and is currently in 137th position.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

I bet this is pretty common among golfers, one of my family members has had it twice.  It can her very bad if it spreads into deeper tissue, but the key is catching it early, and thankfully skin cancer is one of the easier ones to catch.   If nothing else it is a good reminder to those of us that play a lot to "wear protection". :-D

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just looked through his facebook and found this, I did INDEED miss it. This is good news.

"I am pleased to say that yesterday's story regarding skin cancer, is an old one that has resurfaced.

Three or four years ago I had four sun spots on the skin of my face removed but they were found to be non melanoma and therefore benign. Yesterday I was speaking about cancer of the oesophagus and the reference to my experience with cancer was taken out of context as it related to a few years ago, so I'm glad to say there is nothing at all to worry about as far as I know."

Padraig.

This thread can be deleted if need be.

Joel Holden

This thread can be deleted if need be.

Oh, of course not. Most of us don't follow Paddy on Facebook anyway. :-)

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• 2 weeks later...

Proud of Paddy for making the cut at Valspar last week, and for posting a respectable 2 under at Bay Hill today. At this point I just want him making the cuts and one of these days he's bound to get hot.....hopefully.

Joel Holden

Good news that this isn't a new bout of cancer but does serve as a timely reminder to take proper precautions when out in the sun.  My folks live in Tucson and too many conversations amongst their friends on having "stuff" cut off.  I'm now a devoted fan of hats and SPF50 sunscreen.

Good reminder that if it's sunny put on a hat and some sunscreen. I always keep a tube of sunblock in my car just incase.

Henry

Good reminder that if it's sunny put on a hat and some sunscreen. I always keep a tube of sunblock in my car just incase.

My dermatologist would want me to say, sunblock's a good idea even if it's not sunny. You can still get a sunburn.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

My dermatologist would want me to say, sunblock's a good idea even if it's not sunny. You can still get a sunburn.

Very true. Also i think this should be posted here in case anyone stumbles across this thread who's worried about a suspicious mole or doesn't know what to watch out for.

Henry

Note: This thread is 3661 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!