IGNORED

When is a green "clear?"

ScouseJohnny
Note: This thread is 3401 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

One of the things I constantly try to "teach" newer players are little things to play faster. When you finish a shot, whether on the green or fairway or tee box, hang on to your club, get in the seat and put it away when you stop at the next shot. When I walk, I put in the bag as I push my cart.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I have unintentionally hit into people before.  Either I did not see them, or thought they were moving on when in fact they were turning to come back, etc.  There can be all kinds of reasons.  But, when I do hit into someone or even if I just think I hit too close to someone...I will immediately go up to where they are an offer an apology.  If you have ever seen anyone get hit full on by a golf ball...it is not pretty and people can get seriously hurt.

In your case, you could not see the guy.  So, without knowing the hole but understanding the way you described it...you really were not at fault.  The fact that he was playing 2 balls, IMHO, is just more info related to the story.  Still, I would have gone forward and simply told him (in an calm tone)..."Hey Man, I'm sorry I hit while you were still here.  I thought you were gone from the hole, saw you putt out and then disappear from sight from the tee box. Did not realize you were playiing a 2nd ball. Again, my apologies."  And, I would have left it right there.   I would say that in 98% of the cases, that would be the end of it.

The other 2%...not really what this topic is about.

To answer the question that is the subject of the topic...when it is a single playing...when the flag has been replaced in the hole and you have given the player ample time to get out of the way...if not visible.

Nothing irritates me more than to have someone hit into the green when we are over putting our clubs back in the bag a few yards off the green.  I know I have hooked or cut shots that miss the green and I do not want to hit anyone.  If they are walking...they need to be moving out of the way towards the other tee box before we address the ball to hit.  If in carts, those carts need to be moving away before we address the ball to hit.  That 10 seconds or so you are addressing the ball getting ready to hit should give them time to be moved on.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

A green is clear when you are 100% positive you can hit your approach shot without hitting another golfer.  There is never a  need to ever endanger another golfer (or a course employee) with an errant shot to the green because you felt you couldn't wait a few seconds more util the group in front of you is absolutely out of range of the club in your hand no matter how well or how poorly you hit it.

Butch

I have played 2 ball quite a few times, and always when there are very few folks on the course. In this case the the OP did nothing wrong, and handled  the old guy's mini tirade in a decent manner.

I have always handled my golf game with two important thoughts;  Safety, and/or, common sense first, when it came to playing around other folks. That's one of the big reasons I don't wig out during slow play when it shows up.

I have been involved on both sides of the fence when it came to myself, or other folks walking into a shot already in the air, from a hidden part of the course. It's a two way process. I suspect most golfers have been there, and done that.  As long as due diligence is practiced, that's pretty much all one can do. .

The fact that some golf courses have these hidden areas as part of the playing field also needs to be accounted for. If you can't see them, then they can't see you.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If I'm ever playing more than one ball and there's any type of possibility I won't be able to see the tee box/fairway for that hole from the green I make a point of leaving my bag in view of the tee box/fairway to make it clear that I'm still there. The fact that you couldn't see him and had no way of knowing whether he was still there or not means you've done nothing wrong in my eyes.

Most holes where there's a blind bend as an example have a bell to ring once you're out of range to let the group behind know that it's ok to hit their shots but in this instance as it's a par 3 I'm guessing there wouldn't be one (there's a similar hole at a local club with a par 3 where the entire right hand side of the green is obscured by a tree in the summer and that would have no such bell)

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

I have played 2 ball quite a few times, and always when there are very few folks on the course. In this case the the OP did nothing wrong, and handled  the old guy's mini tirade in a decent manner.

I have always handled my golf game with two important thoughts;  Safety, and/or, common sense first, when it came to playing around other folks. That's one of the big reasons I don't wig out during slow play when it shows up.

I have been involved on both sides of the fence when it came to myself, or other folks walking into a shot already in the air, from a hidden part of the course. It's a two way process. I suspect most golfers have been there, and done that.  As long as due diligence is practiced, that's pretty much all one can do. .

The fact that some golf courses have these hidden areas as part of the playing field also needs to be accounted for. If you can't see them, then they can't see you.

And at that point it becomes THEIR responsibility to make sure that even if they cannot be seen their presence is obvious.  People have made good suggestions, like leave the flagstick out if you aren't finished, or leave your bag within site of the following players.  It seems like just common sense but, alas, common sense is pretty uncommon these days.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patch

And at that point it becomes THEIR responsibility to make sure that even if they cannot be seen their presence is obvious.  People have made good suggestions, like leave the flagstick out if you aren't finished, or leave your bag within site of the following players.  It seems like just common sense but, alas, common sense is pretty uncommon these days.

The simple and logical thing in this case would have been for him to play both balls to the green before pulling the flagstick, and to leave his bag in a very visible location.  Even better to look back and see that someone is waiting and just pick up the second ball and move on.  Making someone wait while you play 2 balls is a significant breach of etiquette on any course I've ever played.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

The simple and logical thing in this case would have been for him to play both balls to the green before pulling the flagstick, and to leave his bag in a very visible location.  Even better to look back and see that someone is waiting and just pick up the second ball and move on.  Making someone wait while you play 2 balls is a significant breach of etiquette on any course I've ever played.

+1. Never play two balls if someone is waiting. Period. And if you try to chastise me for doing it, you might find a 7 iron up your a$$. :-)

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Note: This thread is 3401 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!