IGNORED

What irons should I buy, please help!!

Note: This thread is 3662 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello all, I have a handicap of 16 but this winter I haven't been playing much and I play off about 20. I have played off 13 and this summer I would like to try for single figures. With this I would like to buy new irons. I have done a load of research, tried out clubs, but I'm still really confused. So my question is do I go for the ping i25, Mizuno JPX 825 pro or Taylormade speedblade...or take the step up and get the Ping s55, Taylormade MC, or Mizuno MP-54. Has anyone made the step up, did you go to early? What handicap did you have? Do you think with my handicap I should go for something a little more forgiving? Thanks a lot! Golfhoy

The last two sets of irons I've owned have been Mizuno and I couldn't see myself playing anything else. First were the Mx-200's and now I've moved on to Mp-69's.

That being said I would say its tough to tell you what irons to play based only on your handicap. You could strike the ball great but struggle putting or off the tee, or vice versa. Honestly, I would say take all the forgiveness you can get either way. Even some pro's are opting for a more forgiving iron, just because theres nobody who catches it perfectly center every swing. Why not take all the advantages you can get?

Taylormade R1 9*

Callaway X Hot Pro 13.5*

Titleist 910H 18*

Taylormade MC 3-PW

Nike SV 54*

Cleveland CG15 58*

Taylormade Ghost TM880 Custom

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

JPX 825 Pros are great clubs. They are forgiving, super nice to look at down by the ball and have plenty of workability. I've have mine for a few months and have been playing the best golf of my life, including the best iron play of my life. The MP-54's are very similar in feel, a little less forgiving, but I wouldn't call them a huge step up at all. The AP2's are also very similar to the 825 pros. A lot of tour players are using irons in this range, which is encouraging. I guess it would come down to how much you like to work the ball, and which one's look and feel better to you. Sorry, that's kind of a non-answer lol...but I don't think you could go wrong with your HC range with any of those irons you listed! Let us know which ones you go with!!

Great guys, thanks. I think you are helping me be sensible here, and not punching above my weight and being greedy with the thought of new shiny toys. Jpx sound good, I have a demo day coming up. Although the pings are nice....

Pings definitely are pretty sweet. Can't go wrong either way.. pick the one that u feel most confident with when u stand over the ball and never think about the decision again aha

Taylormade R1 9*

Callaway X Hot Pro 13.5*

Titleist 910H 18*

Taylormade MC 3-PW

Nike SV 54*

Cleveland CG15 58*

Taylormade Ghost TM880 Custom

Pings definitely are pretty sweet. Can't go wrong either way.. pick the one that u feel most confident with when u stand over the ball and never think about the decision again aha

Exactly hahaha

Tough to find but tryout a set of Bridgestone J40 DPC irons. Beautiful midsize set of nice feeling irons. I have the J38 DPC and love them. I used to use Titleist AP1 710 and they are very good too. Good luck!

Tough to find but tryout a set of Bridgestone J40 DPC irons. Beautiful midsize set of nice feeling irons. ...

On Monday, UPS will deliver a Test Drive set of J40 Dual Purpose Cavity irons: a 5i and 9i shafted in Dynamic Golf R300 SL, and a 5i and 9i in NS Pro 1050 R.Flex. I get to try them out for a small fee for 30 days. (If I don't return them on time, I get charged $125 x 4 clubs).

If interested, check out the web site: http://www.bridgestonegolf.com/ (Test Drive is under the Products menu).

On the Ping clubs, do a side-by-side with the i25 and the G25. Both have the CFS as a stock steel shaft, so you get a really good comparison of the difference between the heads. With the CFS R.flex, I hit the G25 about 8 yards longer than the i25.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I'm sure I will be the only one to say it. But try the Adams line. I liked all there stuff. I ended up killing 2 birds and bought the super s irons and hybrids. But the v4 forged were real nice. I would have grabbed them but was more co distant with the super s

I would recommend the new Titleist AP2 714s. They feel really good, and this year they improved the forgiveness by changing the CG weight.

I have the AP2 712s for the last two years, they are sweet clubs. I'm a 16 handicap.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

I second the 712 AP2s there super nice all the way around. Looks, feel, there tough to beat. Plus you can pick them up at lower price New or used since the 714 came out. Happy shopping

:titleist: 913 D3 9.5* Diamana 72g X-flex neutral

:titleist: 913 FD 15* Diamana 82g X-flex neutral

:titleist: AP2 712 3-PW S-300

:vokey:51-08/ 55-11/ 59-08 equal length shaft

:cameron: Select Newport 2

If you are serious, I have a set of Mizuno JPX HD irons with regular shaft that I will sell for $300 + shipping. I have only played them 4 times. Willing to sell because I won a new set of Cobra Bio Cells. P! Me if you are interested....

Hello all,

I have a handicap of 16 but this winter I haven't been playing much and I play off about 20. I have played off 13 and this summer I would like to try for single figures. With this I would like to buy new irons.

I have done a load of research, tried out clubs, but I'm still really confused.

So my question is do I go for the ping i25, Mizuno JPX 825 pro or Taylormade speedblade...or take the step up and get the Ping s55, Taylormade MC, or Mizuno MP-54.

Has anyone made the step up, did you go to early? What handicap did you have? Do you think with my handicap I should go for something a little more forgiving?

Thanks a lot!

Golfhoy

You can't really go wrong with any of these.

I used the i20 and tested the S55 and might go that way because of the thinner sole.  TM MC is also a great choice, I played with a friends for a hole (right handed) with good results. TM Speedblade would be a good fit for us as well.

The MP-54 looks very tempting, and I might end up with that as well. Looking for sales.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

The best iron set for you depends on so many factors... Do you want to hit the ball higher and softer into greens, or lower your ballflight? Do you need to look down on blade-like irons or can you stand GI clubs? Do you dig deep divots or clip the ball (or somewhere in between)?

I hate to repeat typical cliche's, but I have learned the hard way: Try out clubs you are interested in before you spend big money. Get a demo club and take it to the course, hit it from the rough, the tee, around the green, and see how it plays for you. Until I did this, I never found a set of irons I was truly satisfied with.

The best iron set for you depends on so many factors... Do you want to hit the ball higher and softer into greens, or lower your ballflight? Do you need to look down on blade-like irons or can you stand GI clubs? Do you dig deep divots or clip the ball (or somewhere in between)?

I hate to repeat typical cliche's, but I have learned the hard way: Try out clubs you are interested in before you spend big money. Get a demo club and take it to the course, hit it from the rough, the tee, around the green, and see how it plays for you. Until I did this, I never found a set of irons I was truly satisfied with.

Couldn't agree more!

Golfhoy...before you spend the cash on a set of clubs that LOOK good, hit every kind you can think of. Check out the local courses you play and try playing a round with each brand of rental clubs they use. Borrow a friends' set and play a round with them. Hitting clubs on a simulator or a driving range just doesn't get it done! MOST IMPORTANT...don't let your ego...or other's...get in the way of finding what's best for YOU!!!

I hate the headings they use when the golf magazines do their reviews of clubs, especially irons, and put them in catagories of "Player's Irons", "Better Player's Irons", etc. I'm a 2 handicap and I game a set of Cleveland Hibore Xli irons, 4 thru PW & GW & SW. I think they consider these "SUPER MAX Game Improvement Irons". Maybe they are made for someone who shoots a 93...but they work great for me and using them I can card a 73.

Now to blow this "Player's Irons" myth completely out of the water...my Hibore's are WOMEN'S irons! The lighter weight and shorter length simply felt great when I tried them and I wouldn't trade them for anything. Sure, once in a while somebody's gonna mouth off about my "Lady's clubs"...but hitting 15 or 16 greens in regulation has a way of shutting them up real quick. You'd be surprised how many guys ask to try my irons during a round of golf!

It's up to you...either find out what WORKS for YOU...or struggle with a club that just looks cool in your bag.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meddle

Couldn't agree more!

Golfhoy...before you spend the cash on a set of clubs that LOOK good, hit every kind you can think of. Check out the local courses you play and try playing a round with each brand of rental clubs they use. Borrow a friends' set and play a round with them. Hitting clubs on a simulator or a driving range just doesn't get it done! MOST IMPORTANT...don't let your ego...or other's...get in the way of finding what's best for YOU!!!

I hate the headings they use when the golf magazines do their reviews of clubs, especially irons, and put them in catagories of "Player's Irons", "Better Player's Irons", etc. I'm a 2 handicap and I game a set of Cleveland Hibore Xli irons, 4 thru PW & GW & SW. I think they consider these "SUPER MAX Game Improvement Irons". Maybe they are made for someone who shoots a 93...but they work great for me and using them I can card a 73.

Now to blow this "Player's Irons" myth completely out of the water...my Hibore's are WOMEN'S irons! The lighter weight and shorter length simply felt great when I tried them and I wouldn't trade them for anything. Sure, once in a while somebody's gonna mouth off about my "Lady's clubs"...but hitting 15 or 16 greens in regulation has a way of shutting them up real quick. You'd be surprised how many guys ask to try my irons during a round of golf!

It's up to you...either find out what WORKS for YOU...or struggle with a club that just looks cool in your bag.

True, if you care about your score. . .

I was going to suggest the JPX-EZ forged as well, I think Mark Crossfield uses them in some course videos. He's also a 0+ something handicap.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I would go for the most forgiving iron you like the look of. For me I find those to be irons with a small head that have a bit of cavity back. Some examples would include the AP2s, MP-54, JPX 825 pro, mp-59 and s55. The jpx ez forged are probably the most forgiving forged clubs but they are also bigger and not your classic chrome color. I personally don't like the I25s because of their large sole, which you can see from address.

I don't really see any reason why anyone would need a club that is more blade like than these. A very large amount of pro's play clubs in these categories.

Note: This thread is 3662 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!