IGNORED

2014 & '15 Arnold Palmer Invitational at Bay Hill Discussion Thread

colin007
Note: This thread is 3292 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

tournament would be better without Sam Saunders - it was novel for awhile - now it looks like poor little rich boy getting in instead of deserving PGA player.

Most tournament sponsors get a few slots for special invites.   I'm sure there are always a few undeserving golfers in the field, it's just no one knows who they are.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Most tournament sponsors get a few slots for special invites.   I'm sure there are always a few undeserving golfers in the field, it's just no one knows who they are.

Yeah.  Plus, I doubt that there is a strict rule for the size of the tournament, is there?  It appears that there are 150 this week, but there were 144 at Valspar.

So I'm not so sure any invitee is "taking a spot away from somebody else."

Yeah.  Plus, I doubt that there is a strict rule for the size of the tournament, is there?  It appears that there are 150 this week, but there were 144 at Valspar.

So I'm not so sure any invitee is "taking a spot away from somebody else."

120 entries this week ---but other than an OSU player and the grandson, doesn't look like a lot of off the wall invites......

Whoops ... yeah that's correct.  I counted 50 threesomes somehow, when in fact, there are only 40.

I still don't see it as a big deal that the kid plays.  The tournament choosing to invite him is a lot less penal to other pros than them arbitrarily limiting the field to 120, instead of, say, 144 like Valspar.

• Administrator

Arnie's event still qualifies (it's right in the title) as an "Invitational," so not every PGA Tour player with status qualifies.

Same with The Memorial IIRC.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

A good buddy of mine, Joe, is one of the scorers out there this week.  Kind of a short, Gallagher looking guy.....60 with longish hair.

Just got his time for tomorrow.  He goes off at 8:23 with Reed, Rose, and Scott, great group.....look for him.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

A good buddy of mine, Joe, is one of the scorers out there this week.  Kind of a short, Gallagher looking guy.....60 with longish hair.

Just got his time for tomorrow.  He goes off at 8:23 with Reed, Rose, and Scott, great group.....look for him.

Haha ... thats awesome!  One of these days I'm going to volunteer at Torrey or Riviera just for kicks.

The scorer ... would that be the guy/gal with a little ipad/calculator looking think in their hand?  You're not talking about the kid with the big sign, right?

Haha ... thats awesome!  One of these days I'm going to volunteer at Torrey or Riviera just for kicks. The scorer ... would that be the guy/gal with a little ipad/calculator looking think in their hand?  You're not talking about the kid with the big sign, right?

Exactly. He scores a lot on the LPGA tour too. Gets a lot of perks, including free high-end golf. Scoring takes some experience and training and has to understand the rules pretty well to be able to apply penalty stokes as appropriate. He's in the scorer's tent with his group after the round confirming their card with them. Traditionally, the scorer gets a signed ball or glove for his efforts. Joe has hundreds, including Tiger, Phil, and Annika. Pretty cool. He keeps asking if I'd like him to get me into scoring. Maybe one of these days..... The problem is it takes up the whole weekend, and I'd still rather play golf! :-)

In David's bag....

He keeps asking if I'd like him to get me into scoring. Maybe one of these days..... The problem is it takes up the whole weekend, and I'd still rather play golf!

You're just like me.  When I looked into volunteering recently (at Torrey, Palm Springs, and Riviera) they all had similar schedules that involved a big commitment with at least one day of training (Monday or Tuesday) and then one day, at least, during the tournament.

I thought "well shoot, if I'm going to be wasting 2 full days doing nothing, I'd rather be playing golf than anything else!!" :beer:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Martin

there's more to the PGA than Tiger Woods

Missed da joke

Not sure what you're talking about, but I'm looking forward to the new breed and seeing what they can do this weekend.

Pulling for Justin Rose or Gary Woodland this week.  Duval was on Golf Channel and described Bayhill's setup as "US Open set up off the tees and Augusta National around the greens"........tempting to head out to Orlando today but best seat is in front of the HDTV.

Pulling for Justin Rose or Gary Woodland this week.

What about Tiger? Don't forget about Tiger. :-P

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Pulling for Justin Rose or Gary Woodland this week.  Duval was on Golf Channel and described Bayhill's setup as "US Open set up off the tees and Augusta National around the greens"........tempting to head out to Orlando today but best seat is in front of the HDTV.

My buddy is scoring for Justin Rose's group today.

In David's bag....

Note: This thread is 3292 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!