IGNORED

My Swing (rightdraw)

rightdraw
Note: This thread is 3657 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: About 20 years

My current handicap index or average score is: 15

My typical ball flight is: pull draw or fade

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: pull draw, fade, tops, fats etc(I think I've had every miss you can think of happen to me).

Videos:

I can see a bunch of things I need to work on, but looking for some prioritization. I'm pretty sure the length of my back swing is causing a lot of issues and I also noticed I've developed a dip of my front should on the start of the downswing. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Hopefully the videos will get better overtime also, this is my first go around of filming my swing.

Kurt

Welcome to the site.  First off, I wish I had half your flexibility.  That is a limiter for me.  I see a couple of things that may be a priority for you.

1.  Your head is moving forward (to your right) on the downswing.  This may not be too much of an issue.

2.  You are flipping a bit before impact, meaning that as you come to impact, the club head is ahead of your hands.  If you stop the video at position A5 (when your right arm is parallel to the ground) you can see the club is almost fully extended already.

I recommend looks at these two videos in the Swing Thoughts Section, 5SK Video Thread as a start.   Some of the teaching professionals may see other priorities, but this is a good place to start.

Best of Luck.

BTW, the basic positions of the swing are below (more detail )

A1 - address

A2 - club parallel to the ground during backswing.

A3 - forward arm (right for you) parallel to the ground during backswing

A4- Top of backswing

A5 - forward arm parallel to ground on downswing

A6 - club parallel to ground on downswing

A7 - impact

A8 - club parallel to ground on follow through

A9 - trail arm parallel to ground on follow throught

A10 - Finish

A11-  In club house at the bar ordering a draft.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for the feedback, I'll take a look at the links provided. Thanks for the quick explanation of the position reference, I m still figuring those out. Except a11 for that one I have down pretty good.

Kurt

Face on View

You have way too much shoulder turn, and very little hip turn.

Also in the finish,

In this image, your clubshaft should be more parallel to the ground. and closer to your left thigh. You need more flex in that front knee as well. You get way too early into the right knee extension, and it causes you too loose that wrist angle. When your upper body starts pulling up sharply, it levers the hands and the only way to save the shot is to flip at the ball. If not you would do a big WIFF at the ball. This also doesn't give yourself enough time to get the hands forward of the ball at impact.

Down the line view

Posture looks good, I think you might be a tad too close to the ball. want to see a little more space between your thighs and your hands for a 6 iron. I would go out one more ball width away.

I would like to see your hands at the top of your swing be more over the left shoulder, and more away from your body. The left elbow would be less behind and more infront of you. It is partially caused by bad turn rates, you are over rotating your upper body because you didn't start your lower body turn quick enough in the start of the backswing.

So I would work on getting those turn rates cleaned up, and work on that weight forward. That will help you clean up a lot of other compensations

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Quote:

I noticed this when I was putting the video together. Thanks for the suggestions and pointing me in the right direction. I should be able to do some range work this week and can hopefully work on changing the picture. ;-)

Kurt

I noticed this when I was putting the video together. Thanks for the suggestions and pointing me in the right direction. I should be able to do some range work this week and can hopefully work on changing the picture.

Your flexibility is a terrific advantage.  With some work on a few of this things, you may be able to really add some power to your swing.  Keep us posted.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Here is a video of me practicing(DTL then FO). The camera was a little close on the down the line view. I'm working on getting my hips to turn more in the backswing and getting my weight forward/keeping flex in my lead knee on the down swing. I have a feeling of bumbing my hips towards the net to start the down swing get my weight forward a little better. I need to slowdown the pace of my swings a little bit more on these practice swings and in my full swing in general. Have at it and any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Kurt

Just from my observation, 1..try flaring your feet out more, and bow your legs outward some, that will give you more flex in the rear leg.

also looks as though on the downswing that your moving forward with your upper body, try keeping your head behind the ball.

One thing that helped me was to set up with my forward hip slightly "bumped" outward, makes getting the weight forward a bit easier, just watch that you keep your head back, and retain your spine angle through the shot. disclaimer I'm no expert, so maybe others will have more to comment on...Keep up the good work.:

Hi, welcome to the site. Heading off the bed now and will comment more tomorrow.

I f you're interested in lessons, I would recommend Aaron Olsen at The Raven Golf Club and Andy Patnou at TPC Scottsdale.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Thanks for the recommendation on instructors, I've been thinking about that but had no idea who was halfway decent.

Yeah those guys are great.

Agree with what everyone else has said so far. Couple things I see.

- Backswing look better as you feel like you turn your hips more, especially down the line. From face on, make sure the head doesn't "drift" back. I think it's more about how your eyes are working, almost like you are looking back and checking that your left hip is turning back. In the right pic you re-center, just something I wanted to point out.

- Think it would be great for you to practice with the right side of your head against one of those beams in the background (green arrow). The head is going too far forward, legs are staying too flexed causing the hands to swing too far right.

This is where practicing with your head against the beam will really help. You just have to learn the sequencing of things. Weight goes forward but then you have to "thrust" into the followthrough. Legs extend, belt buckle faces the sky. You add pressure into that left foot/quad, make it "heavy", then explode. This is will help the path.

@saevel25 already posted it but I think it's worth watching again.

Another video demonstrating it, without a ball

Mike McLoughlin

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick playing updated. I got to play 36 holes this weekend 18 on saturday and 18 on sunday.

Saturday I shot a 84(45 front/39 back) on a par 72 course. I had two straight birdies on the back that helped. Nothing great or terrible. I really need to start tracking fairways, GIRs and putts. This was in my monthly league.

Sunday I shot a 83(39 front/44 back) on a par 71 course. Casual round with friends and my dad.

I plan on doing some more video work this week. Contact for the most part has been pretty good, but my misses are still a pull draw. I still need to work on my follow through turn rates and keeping my head from moving forward at the start of the down swing. But the information and practice suggestion from this site have made a positive impact.

Kurt

I plan on doing some more video work this week. Contact for the most part has been pretty good, but my misses are still a pull draw. I still need to work on my follow through turn rates and keeping my head from moving forward at the start of the down swing. But the information and practice suggestion from this site have made a positive impact.

Great to hear :beer:

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 3657 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!