IGNORED

Cut Down Putters ? How Much of a Change ?

Note: This thread is 3681 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey Guys

I've recently been looking at getting my putter cut down. I'ts an Odyssey Rossie  Metal X 34" Putter.

I did have a putter previously cut down to 32" and so it wouldn't be that much of a change.

I have been wondering on what affect this has on the performance of the characteristics of the putter before I go ahead and cut 2 inches off.

Would love to know if anyone else has had a putter cut down etc.

Hope Someone Can Help

Cheers

Peter Faragher

@PeterFaragher ,

The swing weight will change a lot.  Some putters have different weight heads for different shaft lengths.  You should check that first.  I got fitted by a Golf Digest Top 100 fitter and he actually lengthened my putter.  Fitters can add shaft weights that can keep the swing weight and feel the same.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@PeterFaragher ,

The swing weight will change a lot.  Some putters have different weight heads for different shaft lengths.  You should check that first.  I got fitted by a Golf Digest Top 100 fitter and he actually lengthened my putter.  Fitters can add shaft weights that can keep the swing weight and feel the same.

@PeterFaragher

I agree with Scott. I had an Odyssey 34" cut down to 33" and that changed the swing weight a lot. The putter head felt a lot heavier and I couldn't control the putts especially within 5 feet. If you're going to cut it down, I would also advise the fitter to also maintain the swing weight as much as possible.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

I agree that it will change the swing weight, however, cutting down a putter makes the head feel lighter, not heavier.  Camerons typically have a 340g head weight at 35" and a 360g at 33."

You can easily adjust the head weight with lead tape (though it's not always pretty).  I used to put it on the bottom of the putter head so I didn't have to see it at address.  That should lower the center of gravity but even with 20g on there I didn't notice it changing playing characteristics. I've also seen it on the back of a blade putter or even on the top of some mallets. There are other ways to add weight but few as cheap, easy and removable as lead tape.

If you're cutting two inches off, you'll probably need to add another 15-20g to keep it feeling the same.

Good luck!

George

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3681 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!