• Announcements

• iacas

Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
FooFader

Stretches to improve flexibility

11 posts in this topic

I had a search to see if there was a thread focused on improving flexibility but couldn't find specifically what i was looking for.

We all know that improving flexibility is a very good thing for any golfer and that it can increase swing speed. I've read in a lot of threads about improving flexibility but none of them really focused on exactly how to go about doing so. I currently hold static stretches before bed every night but I'm not sure which stretches to do so if people with more knowledge than i in this area could recommend stretches for me and other golfers as well that would be great. Ideally attach an explanatory picture/video with each suggestion.

Currently i do the following:

Awards and Achievements

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

@FooFader ,

I recommend the following books:

His stretching section is excellent.  Golf instruction section is average.

by Joey D.  This has exercises that help improve flexibility and well as strength.

Awards and Achievements

@FooFader ,

by Joey D.  This has exercises that help improve flexibility and well as strength.

Thank you very much, i shall check those out. I found a flexibilty screening program online the other day, it was called TPI and whilst it's copyrighted there are multiple examples of the 12 exercises involved on YouTube. I would recommend that to anyone to assess where their flexibilty could be lacking. I found that i have extremely tight lats so i'll have a look later at stretches for that and @boogielicious i shall see if i can find those books on eBay goig cheap or amazon otherwise.

Awards and Achievements

@FooFader

What were the books? I don't see them listed in the thread. I've got to start stretching.

Awards and Achievements

What were the books? I don't see them listed in the thread. I've got to start stretching.

Probably lost in the move from Huddler. Paging @boogielicious (who can just edit the first post).

Awards and Achievements

Probably lost in the move from Huddler. Paging @boogielicious (who can just edit the first post).

I assumed that was the issue. Thanks

Awards and Achievements

@FooFader,

Flexible Golf Swing by Roger Fredericks 

It looks like Roger has updated the book.

Fix Your Body, Fix Your Swing by Joey D.

You can also get a DVD

Joey D Golf Body

Awards and Achievements

I just bought the book "get youself in golf shape" on ebay for $4 shipped, I will report back to this thread if it helps once i get it. I didn't do much research on the book or the author but for $4 I thought it was worth the shot.

Awards and Achievements

Hi Guys 

I believe stretching is very important however doing the right stretches is even more key!

Here are a few rules I use to help with flexibility.

1) Never feel pain or discomfort in my back

2) Understand the difference between a muscle and nerve stretching. Very often the pain of stretching is nerve related ...sharp burning feeling. Be careful not to confuse the two! 

3) Stretching is only a temporary solution to an underlying problem or weakness. Its important to address what is making you tight!

I hope this helps and look forward to the feedback!

I can attest to the Roger Fredericks stretching routine. It is awesome. Now if I can get my fat butt to do it more often!