IGNORED

Tipping the Beer Cart girl

soup
Note: This thread is 3802 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Cost of living is all relative. Every time I have made more money, I have also managed to spend more money. I look back to when my wife and I were first married and boutgh our first house. We got it on a land contract from her grandparents and they aklso loaned us $10,000 to get ourselves out of debt. Our monthly house/loan payment was about $450. We were so broke, that one night I actually had to drink the last 5 beers in a 6 pack to be able to get the $.50 deposit return to have enough to play golf the next morning. Sad but true. Now we make almost tripple what we did then and have moved twice. Both times into bigger houses with larger mortages. We drive nicer cars and eat out more often. We also have two kids. Talk about expensive, I am dreading the back to school supplies and new clothes. At the end of the month there is still very little left. When I think back to the old house payment and the two cars we owend outright I wonder why we ever moved. Oh yeah...the kids.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

I wish I could, except I don't have any left at the end of the month

That is a great statement on how Americans expect to live...make more money, SPEND MORE!! make a little more, spend a lot more...

If you dont have money left over at the end of the month making 150K, you are over extended... Kind of a sad statement I think...considering that 90% of americans make far less than that and they still have bills, kids and mortgages. Bigger paycheck= bigger toys... but you lose the right to complain about not having enough left over.

I will always tip the cart girl, and here is why, she brought me something I did not have and I will show my appreciation for it. I usually will tip nicely regardless of what they look like and regardless of what they are paid by the course. A .30 cent tip is just rude in my view. Just remember that not only is she providing you a service but she is also bringing you something you didn't have and wanted otherwise why did you buy it? As for the difference in tipping customs between here and Europe or elsewhere...when in Rome do as the Romans.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10degree
3 Wood: TaylorMade R7 Draw
5 Wood: Callaway BB
Hybrid: TaylorMade R7 Draw 19D
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 4- AWWedge Cleveland CG10Putter: Oddessy 2 BallBall: Bridgestone E5/E6

Of course you tip the Beer Cart Girl, Wench, Hag....who brought you people up???

You are playing golf (mini-vacation) and she brings you a beer (yaaaaay!!).

Often, it lightens the game up a little bit, or changes the topic of conversation!

$2-$3 beer, $1 tip. Not per beer...but a buck per visit per person, that's fair.
In My Datrek Bag:

Driver: R9-460 9.5°
Woods: Burner 15°
Hybrids: Burner 3,4,5Irons: G10 Gap - 5 ironWedges: cg15: chrome, 56° 60°Putter: Studio Newport 2GPS Unit: Push Cart: 2.0

It depends on where you live. I turned down $80k job offers out of college because renting a 900-square-foot apartment cost $3k/month in some areas. After taxes and rent, I'd have all of about $10k to live on.

Man, I can't believe I am reading this. I usually agree 100 percent with you iacas, but I can't this time. If 150,000 isn't enough for a family to live on ANYWHERE in the US, then I need to be put to sleep. I can't belive I live in a country where 150,000 is not enough. I understand 150,000 isn't the same everywhere, but it is still 150,000!!!!!!!! My goodness.

apprently, I don't belong on these boards. You all are very lucky. Congrats on your successes. Does anyone know of a board where normal people, ya know, the ones who make less than 100,000 a year can go?
The best feeling in golf is a long walk with a putter - Greg Norman

In my Atlas Bag
FT-3 9° - Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 63S
X-Tour 3 Wood 15° - TT Stiff MP-60 Irons 3-PW - DGS300 2 Up MP-T 51° 56°(10)/60°(4) Vokey SM Oil Can Studio Style Newport 2 V1xHome Course Bear Slide

For a person to reach into a cooler and grab two bottles of water, IMO, is not worthy of a big tip. If we're all asking for different stuff, or she has to make a sandwich, etc..., then you're talking. But she's essentially just driving around passing stuff out of a cooler. If she wants to make bigger tips, she should do something harder.

And, let me say this, from another person with a family, kids and a six-figure income. I live in a modest townhouse. My wife and I drive two very mid-level cars. I play golf only occasionally and am always trying to save money doing so. We pay a nice chunk for my wife's grad school loan, and then a chunk for other debts. All in all, I'd say well short of any kind of "debt crisis" like you hear the rest of the country living in. We put about $1K into a money market, $1K into life insurance and education savings and around $600 into my 401K. My medical benefits cost $300+ per month and I get hit with over $2K in fed/state taxes each month. Before my son started kindergarten, we paid about $800/month for the two kids' preschool (which was only like 3 half-days/week, so my wife could work). Each month requires budgeting and lack of "impulse" buying to stay in the black, but all in all, I'd say we are comfortably OK, but we don't bathe in hunnid-dollah-bills, by ANY means.

So, supposedly I'm in the top 5% of households in America? Well, lemme tell you, the remaining 4.99% must ALL live around me because every new house that gets built here sells for $600K and (way) up. When they sell out, there's a new Hummer in the driveway, a big-ass pool goes in, retaining walls and patios get built, etc... I'm serious, there are countless neighborhoods around me like this. Those people are either making a LOT more money than me, made their millions in the stock market boom of the 90's, are seriously leveraged or simply are not saving a dime. My wife and I have, in my estimation, about $500/month in "bad debt" we should eliminate (and are doing so). That could nowhere near fund the kind of consumerism that goes on around me. Besides, when we get rid of it, it'll probably go to savings, not to our slush fund. When my son starts college in 12 years, it'll cost $75K/year for an average school. yeah, wow........

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

For a person to reach into a cooler and grab two bottles of water, IMO, is not worthy of a big tip. If we're all asking for different stuff, or she has to make a sandwich, etc..., then you're talking. But she's essentially just driving around passing stuff out of a cooler. If she wants to make bigger tips, she should do something harder.

You check out where I live, no Hummers in sight. No townhouses. Just normal people working normal jobs, in very normal houses and neighborhoods. If you make enought to live in a "townhouse", you are doing just fine. Trust me, you are top 5%. You are one of the lucky ones.

In my Atlas Bag
X-Tour 3 Wood 15° - TT Stiff MP-60 Irons 3-PW - DGS300 2 Up MP-T 51° 56°(10)/60°(4) Vokey SM Oil Can Studio Style Newport 2 V1xHome Course Bear Slide

Man, I can't believe I am reading this. I usually agree 100 percent with you iacas, but I can't this time. If 150,000 isn't enough for a family to live on ANYWHERE in the US, then I need to be put to sleep. I can't belive I live in a country where 150,000 is not enough. I understand 150,000 isn't the same everywhere, but it is still 150,000!!!!!!!! My goodness.

Believe me, the best lesson in life you can learn is, how much someone makes has no correlation with pretty much anything.

You check out where I live, no Hummers in sight. No townhouses. Just normal people working normal jobs, in very normal houses and neighborhoods. If you make enought to live in a "townhouse", you are doing just fine. Trust me, you are top 5%. You are one of the lucky ones.

I agree, I said we were comfortable, but we're about 100 miles away from "lavish."

I couldn't make anywhere near what I do living where you are. How much does a townhouse cost where you are? Mine is 20+ years old, there's no granite or cherry cabinetry anywhere to be seen, and it cost $240K. Do not underestimate cost of living and good ol' Uncle Sam. For every additional dollar you earn trying to keep up with it, your taxes take a higher percentage of your dollar. I'm not trying to gain any kind of sympathy, believe me, but I certainly woulnd't want to be ragged on because I'm perceived to have so much discretionary cash around that I should throw multiples of it to a water-fetching cart girl.

Believe me, the best lesson in life you can learn is, how much someone makes has no correlation with pretty much anything.

I will agree with you on that. Sorry for ranting. And if I upset anyone, I am sorry. It's just very hard to read when you make 30,000 working an job which I belive helps society, scraping along, and not minding it one bit.

I just think 150,000 dollars is a lot of money and anyone lucky enough to make that much should count there lucky stars. I understand, most of them have worked very hard to achieve that job and status, just don't say you have it hard. To quote a great fold singer, JJ Grey, "Don't piss down my back and tell me it's rainin'"

In my Atlas Bag

I agree, I said we were comfortable, but we're about 100 miles away from "lavish."

You are right, I didn't mean to direct any anger at you. Sorry if came off that way.

And as far as tipping the cart girl, I would also agree with you.

In my Atlas Bag

• Administrator
Man, I can't believe I am reading this. I usually agree 100 percent with you iacas, but I can't this time. If 150,000 isn't enough for a family to live on ANYWHERE in the US, then I need to be put to sleep.

Why? All I said was that $150k was not the same everywhere. I used to live in West Palm Beach, and my mortgage payments on a 2500 square foot house are almost the same price as my 700-square foot apartment down there.

Watch a home show on HGTV: 1800 square foot homes in some areas of the country sell for $800k. They say you should buy a home that's about three times your yearly salary, so these people should be making about $250k/year to afford a smaller home than I get. Prices are relative to where you live. That's all. As surprised as you are that $150k isn't "enough" for some people in some parts of the country, I was similarly surprised that what I would consider an average sized home can sell for a million dollars in L.A. or other parts of the country.
You all are very lucky. Congrats on your successes. Does anyone know of a board where normal people, ya know, the ones who make less than 100,000 a year can go?

90% of the people on this forum (likely) fit that description. C'mon now...

It's just very hard to read when you make 30,000 working an job which I belive helps society, scraping along, and not minding it one bit.

I've turned down higher paying jobs to do what I love. I've almost never worked an "actual" job in my life, preferring to go the freelance route. For awhile, that put me $10k into debt. Hey, I'm all for earning less if your quality of life (and level of happiness) is higher.

And heck, my wife's a teacher. Her first year salary was $30k, and due to prolonged contract negotiations, that was her salary for almost her entire second year as well.
I just think 150,000 dollars is a lot of money and anyone lucky enough to make that much should count there lucky stars. I understand, most of them have worked very hard to achieve that job and status, just don't say you have it hard.

Again, it's not the same everywhere. That's all I'm saying...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Why? All I said was that $150k was not the same everywhere. I used to live in West Palm Beach, and my mortgage payments on a 2500 square foot house are almost the same price as my 700-square foot apartment down there.

It's not. That is true. I imagine some of those people buying those expensive houses can't realy afford them, so they take on large debt to do so in the hopes of "keeping up with the Jones".

A lot of people buy expensive stuff they can't afford to do so. Not saying all, and definitely not trying to imply you, but some do. I also believe the housing market may not be the best way to argue this. I think the state of the housing market in general has been overinflated and the crash has started. I always respect what you say Erik, and thanks for your point of view. It has enlightened me a bit. However, i still belive that 150,000 is enought to live on anywhere in the US. Not the same everywhere, but livable anywhere. I just have to believe that. It may not be how you think you deserve to live, but you will have a solid roof over your head, a car, food, and some extra cash to live life enjoyably.

In my Atlas Bag

janzaruk - no hard feelings at all.

Good, don't want to make any enemies. This is a great board with great people who help out anyone who needs it. Would hate to make myself unwelcome.

take care Sonicblue!!!!!!

In my Atlas Bag

Well put Sonic. Look, I'm not complaining that I earn a six figure salary, and that I consume every last penny. I also save - 15%/month into 401K, a little extra into a Roth, a 529 plan for my daughter, etc., etc. I also do not think I am living an extravagant lifestyle. I drive an Accord, my wife drives a CRV. I have some expensive tastes, yes, but never at the expense of my family. What I originally said was that with all of this, not much is left at the end of the month. Maybe if I planned better the amount would last longer…

WITB: Driver: Titleist 910 D2 10.5 R / 5 Wood: r7 ti / Irons: Ping G15 Steel R (3-P, U), / Wedges: Vokey SM4 56/11 SM4 60/07 / Putter: Scotty GoLo 33" / Ball: Titleist Velocity / Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 4.0 / GPS: SG3

Maybe if I planned better the amount would last longer…

We all could probably use a little of this

In my Atlas Bag

Note: This thread is 3802 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!