IGNORED

Got my Tickets to The Masters at Augusta

ridenemwild
Note: This thread is 3652 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My tickets just arrived for Sunday of the 2014 Masters. I have never been to a PGA event before much less Augusta. Wondering if there is anything that's absolutely must see. Amen corner is definitely on the top of my list but what else? Also are there any players that are worth following for several holes? I am an avid golfer but honestly don't follow the tour closely at all. Of course I know Tiger, Phil, and possibly Rory. Just excited and wanting ya'lls opinions.

You lucky bastard. Congrats on the tickets. Do you know somebody who knows somebody? How'd you get the tickets?

As for tips, don't stay in one spot, follow the groups you like and to each hole, much funner than just sitting there all day.

If Louis Oostveen tosses you a ball, keep it!!!! (inside joke)

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Don't take your phone or camera - there are detectors at the gates and you'll be asked to leave it with the contracted security guards - good luck with that.

I went in 2011 and can advise the following:

1. Ge there as early as possible and watch these guys put the roller on the greens and then stimp it - you'll see a level of detail unlike any other in greens preparation.

2. There is a patrons concession / food gallery along either the 2nd or 5th fairway, can't remember which. The greenkeeper sheds are adjacent and if you get in there at around 9-10am, some of the keepers are in there getting a snack. If you can meet them, they are a mine of information.

3. The 6th green...see if you can tell what large animal has been buried under it. I would say a diplodocus.

4. See if you can tell the original mounding on the 8th fairway against that put in in the last 20 years - it's quite easy to spot it.

5. The 15th - try to get the players eye view from the fairway for their second (if they are not behind the tree's on the left). The green is a mirage. If you are not much at bunker shots, then park yourself next to the bunker on the right of the green, you'll get a clinic.

6. The change in elevation from the 10th tee to the green...quite possibly the most breathtaking right to left shot in golf.

7. Count how many level shots you can find on the course on the Par 4 and 5 fairways. I reckon 1, 3, a bit of 11 is level...that's it.

8. Consider whether the course is better or worse for the front-of-green bunkering that has been put in in the modern era compared to the way it was originally conceived, and whether the old bump and run course it was was better than the target golf it is now.

9. Try to find a non-Augusta Masters branded item for sale inside the course. You won't find it.

10. Lastly, visit Rhineharts Oyster Bar, just down the road. Gets packed, rough and ready, but the beer is cold, fries are hot and the seafood is spot-on.

Taylor Made R11S 9 Degree

Callaway X 3 Wood

Taylor Made 3 & 5 Rescue

Mizuno MP57 5-PW

Titleist Vokey 52, 60

Ping Scottsdale Anser

10. Lastly, visit Rhineharts Oyster Bar, just down the road. Gets packed, rough and ready, but the beer is cold, fries are hot and the seafood is spot-on. This is a place I will definitely check out! Me and my dad are going and this is right up both of our alleys! Thanks for some ideas! I am definitely going to be watching some of the around the green play to see if I can't pick up a few techniques.

I'd concentrate on seeing the course and getting to know each and every hole on the course. I enjoyed walking all 18 holes over and over throughout my practice rounds and official ones.  I didn't worry about seeing certain golfers - but rather learning about he nuisances of every hole -

You might want to see the honorary tee off on Thursday a.m. - I never did, but get there early for a good view.

Its easy to spend a ton of $ in the souvenir shops - they do have place where you can leave your purchases for holding until you pick it up later so you don't have to carry the stuff all over.

I get the maximum time in the gates get there early, stay until the last player putts out. Some of my best experiences were 1.) when I was the first person walking along AMEN Corner and some of the other holes (like 16) when the only other person around might be a greenskeeper. You just imagine all the history that happened at that hole.  2.) Last person on the grounds wondering when they're going to kick me out.  I always wanted to absorb everything I  could thinking this might be the last time I ever get into The Masters.

I would really have loved to see the honorary tee off and it was a tough decision to choose Sunday over Thursday but let's be honest Sunday is when history happens.

Another question for people who have been. How much traffic should I expect? Should I add an extra 30 min to an hour for driving in? We are staying in a friends guest house about an hour away and plan to get up early and finish the drive

Yep. Traffic is queued up Washington Road for quite some time so make an allowance. There are car parks adjacent on fields, the Masters website will have details.

Do not do what I did and get a cab - I was amazed to be charged 40 bucks for a 5 minute ride from the course to the hotel and when I questioned it, got asked if I wanted to get the police involved to discuss his 'Sunday Masters rates'.

Only down side to the weekend.

Callaway X 3 Wood

Taylor Made 3 & 5 Rescue

Mizuno MP57 5-PW

Titleist Vokey 52, 60

Ping Scottsdale Anser

In my line of work I am around a lot of members of Augusta and I got 2 tickets as a tip. Definitely not going to stay in 1 spot!

Masters tickets as a tip!?

Dear Lawd

Ryder Cup is coming to Minnesota in 2016 and I'm going to murder a litter of kittens if I don't get a ticket.

(p.s. I probably won't murder a litter of kittens)

(p.p.s But I'll probably be mad enough to)

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Another question for people who have been. How much traffic should I expect? Should I add an extra 30 min to an hour for driving in? We are staying in a friends guest house about an hour away and plan to get up early and finish the drive

There's a lot of traffic because there is only a couple a roadways into the course. But since the Masters is the biggest thing in Augusta, there's plenty of traffic control by the local police.  I'd get there very early - before the gates even open. Expect a long day -

I would really have loved to see the honorary tee off and it was a tough decision to choose Sunday over Thursday but let's be honest Sunday is when history happens.

I'd get there as early as possible to beat the traffic.There's about three main roads leading into Augusta National (Washington from two angles, and Wheeler). Most likely you'll be coming off the interstate and getting off at Washington.  I always parked on someone's lawn in walking distance to the entrance. There are a couple of entrances -either back on Amen Corner off of Wheeler/Berkmanns or the main entrance off of Washington. I'd opt for Washington if it's your first time - better to see Magnolia Lane, the Clubhouse, and the first hole/practice areas. Might find that Sunday, people show up late just to see the leaderboard. I believe they tee off later on Sat/Sunday once the cuts have been established. Masters.com is an outstanding website with all the "patron" info that you probably need on gate openings, etcs.

Question to those who've been to a major on the days leading up to it. How entertaining is the Monday-Wednesday before the major actually starts. I'm considering taking a trip to Louisville around August and would maybe like to check out Valhalla on one of those days. (PGA Championship)

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

As I understand it, the hot tix for the Masters are the Thursday - Friday tix because of the opening shots and the fact that the entire field are out there.

Callaway X 3 Wood

Taylor Made 3 & 5 Rescue

Mizuno MP57 5-PW

Titleist Vokey 52, 60

Ping Scottsdale Anser

As I understand it, the hot tix for the Masters are the Thursday - Friday tix because of the opening shots and the fact that the entire field are out there.

I would take any tickets to The Masters, but I would definitely go with Sunday if I had my choice of any day.

Note: This thread is 3652 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!