IGNORED

Super hacker to decent golfer..... Who's done it?

Fromthecoast
Note: This thread is 3298 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by inthehole

I like your stepping stone analogy.       Just seems to me that my journey from 36 to bogie was probably alot easier than it's gonna be to get from bogie to single digits.     I'm not used to dedicated practice (I just like to play ALOT).    If I really want it though, I know what I have to do ...

Get some instruction from @iacas?

I see what you did there !       With my bad back & knees, I've had to develop compensations - Furyk's swing looks pretty compared to mine ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Cool. He's got some good hand-eye coordination!

Do they have little plastic balls at the range you play for toddlers? This could set a precedence as I am thinking of taking a nephew out, and am looking for some places that cater to  I bought 50 wiffle balls and put them in a tray. That keeps him busy!

Do they have little plastic balls at the range you play for toddlers? This could set a precedence as I am thinking of taking a nephew out, and am looking for some places that cater to them.

Do they have little plastic balls at the range you play for toddlers? This could set a precedence as I am thinking of taking a nephew out, and am looking for some places that cater to them.

I bought him a load of balls and put them in a tray for him. That keeps him happy.

The ranges in my area don't cater for toddlers but don't mind him having a little practice either, as long as I collect the balls!

Thanks for all the responses. Definitely feels good to not have to expect to be in the 90's next week. I just signed up with Evolvr and my son is now starting to play some and he really enjoys it as well. He's only 6 and he played twice last year and once this year so far. He's been hitting a US kids 9 iron with the training grip and a US kids putter. I just got him a fairway wood for being a big boy on our last 18 holes last Saturday. Anyway, the heat is on because as the Dad, I've got to try and be a good player and set a good example. I've sent in my first video to Evolvr this afternoon after playing 9 holes shortly after work. So I'm starting a journey and seeking some help. I'd say I am officially a 125 player right now and as a goal I would like to break 100 by the end of the season/year.

Having my son wanting to play is a lot of inspiration and I have set up a 10'x10' net in the backyard for us to use for hitting golf balls and baseballs. He's not doing too bad himself. Even my old man is wanting to play again, so it looks like I have two built in playing partners, although I don't mind playing alone if I have to in order to get some practice in. Played my 9 today solo and it wasn't bad. I need to get a push cart because if I a playing alone, I would rather walk. Either that or one of those Sunday bags for the little 9 hole course around the corner from work.

Thanks for all the responses. Definitely feels good to not have to expect to be in the 90's next week. I just signed up with Evolvr and my son is now starting to play some and he really enjoys it as well. He's only 6 and he played twice last year and once this year so far. He's been hitting a US kids 9 iron with the training grip and a US kids putter. I just got him a fairway wood for being a big boy on our last 18 holes last Saturday. Anyway, the heat is on because as the Dad, I've got to try and be a good player and set a good example. I've sent in my first video to Evolvr this afternoon after playing 9 holes shortly after work. So I'm starting a journey and seeking some help. I'd say I am officially a 125 player right now and as a goal I would like to break 100 by the end of the season/year.

Having my son wanting to play is a lot of inspiration and I have set up a 10'x10' net in the backyard for us to use for hitting golf balls and baseballs. He's not doing too bad himself. Even my old man is wanting to play again, so it looks like I have two built in playing partners, although I don't mind playing alone if I have to in order to get some practice in. Played my 9 today solo and it wasn't bad. I need to get a push cart because if I a playing alone, I would rather walk. Either that or one of those Sunday bags for the little 9 hole course around the corner from work.

This sounds a lot like my situation a few years ago.

Don't worry about the playing well part. I made this assumption as well. At some point, your kid or kids will probably get better than you anyway. I think the main thing is not to embarrass them with your "emotions" while on the course.

In the end, it's the fond memories of playing that will stick in their minds the most.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Honestly, it's not an absolute.     I've never taken lessons.     Another poster above haven't taken lessons.    i have nothing against them, but lessons aren't a requirement as you seem to profess.   Granted, I play a whole lot of golf, and soak up everything I can find about the game on TV, youtube, forums, etc.      There are soooooo many resources to us learning to play today that weren't available before - it's not that hard to learn the basics today without lessons.      It all depends on how you're wired - I like the challenge of figuring it out on my own.    My wife relies on her instructor and won't listen to a thing I say (golf related).   Different strokes ...

Ah, I didn't mean lessons are a necessity, just that going to one lesson and expecting a major improvement is somewhat unrealistic.

Ah, I didn't mean lessons are a necessity, just that going to one lesson and expecting a major improvement is somewhat unrealistic.

I think, with the right instructor, you absolutely can expect to see major improvement from one lesson. The problem is that golfers expect to see the major improvement the next day and they expect that major improvement to happen without all that pesky practice time, then when they don't see it they figure the lesson was a waste of time and go back to their same-old shitty swing from before the lesson.

Expect to spend weeks of hard work on what you learned in that one lesson and the improvements will come.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I think, with the right instructor, you absolutely can expect to see major improvement from one lesson. The problem is that golfers expect to see the major improvement the next day and they expect that major improvement to happen without all that pesky practice time, then when they don't see it they figure the lesson was a waste of time and go back to their same-old shitty swing from before the lesson.

Expect to spend weeks of hard work on what you learned in that one lesson and the improvements will come.

Agreed.

The hard work part is what really makes the difference. If you practice with what the instructor says in mind on every swing, you will see the changes pretty quickly. When you practice them enough you will feel the changes, and that's where you start to really improve.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator

Two things happen from people who take a lesson and then are disappointed a week later:

1. They understand conceptually, in their minds, what should happen, and think that because the "know" and "understand" that they can "do."
  2. They have to exaggerate 5x what they think during a lesson, so even though it's a full swing, it's exaggerated 500% and often at 50 or 60% speed. Then a week later, it "stops working" because they aren't exaggerating nor going slow enough.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Two things happen from people who take a lesson and then are disappointed a week later:

They understand conceptually, in their minds, what should happen, and think that because the "know" and "understand" that they can "do."

They have to exaggerate 5x what they think during a lesson, so even though it's a full swing, it's exaggerated 500% and often at 50 or 60% speed. Then a week later, it "stops working" because they aren't exaggerating nor going slow enough.

I looked at videos with me exaggerating some movement by 5x, and expected to see some outrageous exaggerated motion. Instead, it looked relatively normal. This really surprised me.

Is it that your swing was really so bad prior to the "fix" that you needed this exaggerated feel to make it "correct"?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I started playing last year in May. My first round on a 6200 yd course was 135. Broke 110 in July. Shot 99 on Aug 29 then again in October. Then a 91 the end of November. Probably played 60 rounds last year. I found a pro through trail and error. He helped a lot and gave me Confidence, so I expect to hit a good shot. Took 5 or 6 lessons. I only listened to him...not my buddies. 90% of my friend's advice is worth exactly what I pay for it:) My number one priority is keeping the ball in play; keep it moving forward. My pro taught me one way to chip with one club for now to keep things simple. Chipping and putting are where the strokes are. I can get to 9or around) a par 4 in 3 shots easily...I dont want to take 3plus shots to get down from there. I like to keep stats and follow the rules. My goal this year is an index under 20.

This, do this!

Realistically trying to understand how many people have started off as a 110 or 120+ golfer to get down to a respectable round?

Every golfer that has ever played the game starts out as a hacker!   My question to you would be how often do you play and or practice?   Ask any low handicap player and they will all tell you the same thing. They all play and or practice a lot......

The "occasional golfer" doesn't stand a chance to see any real improvement whether he/she takes lessons or  not.   The only way to get any good at the game is through frequent play.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

My plan is to plan at least once possibly twice a week with two range sessions and maybe hitting a few balls into a net once or twice a week at home.

And I'm signed up for evolvr. Just waiting for my first analysis.

120+ as a beginner, best round so far is a 75.  But I still consider myself a hacker because I have a 2 way miss and most of the time have no idea what the driver is gonna do.

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

For me it would be "From hacker that very seldom played a decent round to hacker that occasionally plays really good round." A hacker, then, now, and forever, but a little bit better quality of hacking as time goes by. ;-)

I need to play at least 36 holes a week to not go backwards..........

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Gotta offer congrats to  Erik for nice low H'cap, (and maybe a bit of envy), but would ask him if he ever was a  high H'capper?  The OP sought those 'super-hacker' which i would classify as H'cap 25+.  Really i cannot accept some guy (not speaking to anyone particular) who is shooting 75 and moaning about high scores since he left the college golf team. Everyone knows that learning earlier is far, far better and much easier than learning later in life. Golf is not intuitive and defies normal behaviour, so best to get it while young before the mental and physical ossification has begun.

I tried playing many years back in my 20's but didn't really know how to swing at all. I still don't know in my 30's but I'm at a point where I want to improve and at least break 100. I think if I can commit to getting out there and playing as well as practicing I should be able to. I think that the evolvr lessons and hitting at home a little bit might put me over the hump.

Just got back from playing. Shot a 117 which is several strokes better than what I did last week. Tried to apply my evolved lessons today and even hit my driver today. I had some really short drives hut the majority of them were in the low 200 range with a very very easy swing, but they stayed straight and I will work on the distance later. Started pitting things together better on the back 9 where I was 11 strokes better than the front even with a big blow up hole (8 on a par 3). Would have broke 50 on the back if it weren't for that.

Note: This thread is 3298 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!