IGNORED

where to play and stay in Orlando

richardi
Note: This thread is 3680 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey Everyone,  Im new to the Sand Trap and was hoping to get a few recommendations on where to stay in Orlando. Also accomodation that doesn't break the bank ( although I'd like it to be fairly nice) as we are two couples. I have a list of courses Id like to play and they all seem to be $80- $150 so thats not bad. I just need to find a good hotel with nice amenities,pool dining etc. Can you suggest anything? Thanks in advance.

Richard

I'd check Hotwire for last second deals, because I got Arnold Palmer 'a Bay Hill Lodge for a steal last summer that way. I can't recall the rate but it was as low as any other ordinary hotel room near the Universal Studio area. Was a great few days with my daughter although I didn't play a round. I did get plenty of evening use of the putting and chipping areas that were right behind the Golf Channel commentator booths, if you watched this weekend. Definitely a memorable stay. You felt secluded from the hustle bustle of the tourist traps, without being too far away.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I live in Orlando area..Where are the courses you are playing? that is probably the most important thing to ask you, before I can maybe give recommendations. You think $80-150 isn't bad pricing!? you can find real nice course for cheaper green fees than this with golfnow, especially during the week. Just fyi.

good place to stay(I guess, never been). I don't like that area(I live in the "best" place in the Orlando area, Winter Park and I would stay at the new motel by Rollins college, if it were me). The tourist trap(southwest Orlando) area is all concrete and strip malls, but I guess that's where most go that are tourists! :). I would play the 9 hole course in Winter Park. I think it was voted best public 9 hole course in country. BEAUTIFUL! plus you have the Winter Park Chain of lakes(take the boat tour), where you can see some very, very nice homes on the lakes. People like Doc Rivers(La Clippers coach) live on the lake among many "famous" people. Just a FYI man.

I just played Forest Lake.  Very nice course and great greens.  See my review.

One thing about staying near Universal is the traffic is pretty bad at rush hour.  We stayed at the Country Inn Suites, which was inexpensive, but the traffic was awful.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Thanks....We decided to book at the Grand Cypress Hyatt, seems reasonable,especially if you prebook online.

I think you will like it.  It's centrally located to all the Disney/Seaworld/Universal stuff. Lots of golf courses nearby, and if you are there in the Summer months, the prices will be relatively reasonable.

Thanks Harmonious.... What are some  (one or two) courses near the hotel that you would recommend?

I don't play much outside my home course, except for tournaments.  I really liked Waldorf-Astoria, Falcon's Fire and Champion's Gate National. I think they are top-notch.  Guys I know, whose opinion I respect, have mentioned Grande Pines and the Grand Cypress courses. Plus, the Disney courses are nearby although they may be pricier year-round.

Here's a good listing of courses, with lots of reviews for the Orlando Attractions area, which is where you will be staying:

http://www.golfnow.com/orlando/tee-times/golf-courses/fl---orlando-attractions/search

Eagle Creek, Orange County National, Disney Magnolia or Palm, and Waldorf Astoria are all good. Eagle Creek is fairly reasonable too. A couple worth the drive are Bella Collina, Mission Inn El Campeon, and Redtail. Have fun!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 3680 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!