IGNORED

US Am rules violation??

AndrewM
Note: This thread is 6085 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So Im watching my TIVO'ed US AM... Vegas just took relief from a sprinkler head... While taking relief, he picked the ball up, took it into his palm, put it in his pocket, Then threw it to his caddy to clean....

Am I incorrect in believing when taking unpenalized relief, that he is not allowed to lift and clean the ball... He MUST keep the ball in its original condition as he was not taking a penalty stroke and they were not under a lift, clean and place rule.

From my looking through the rules, they must have been playing the sprinkler heads as ground under repair... and with that I believe they can clean and drop.
WITB

Driver - Taylormade r7 Quad 10.5˚ Fujijura E360 Stiff
Woods - Sonartec SS 2.5 13˚ HST Penley Tour Stiff
Hybrid - Sonartec HB-001 19˚ HST Penley Tour StiffIrons - Mizuno MP-67 Forged 4-PW, DGS300Wedges - Callaway Forged 50˚ and 54˚, Walter Hagen 60˚Putter - Nike T130 O/S Mallet Ctr Shaft 33"B...

You can always clean your ball when you take an unpenalized relief. Why wouldn't you be allowed to?
In my bag:
Driver: : D2 8.5°
fairway wood: 906 15°
Hybrid: 585H 19°
Irons: 4-PW 695MBWedges: 52° 56° & 60° CG12Putter: Bettinardi C-Series (Carbon Steel)Ball: Pro V1x

• Administrator
You can always clean your ball when you take an unpenalized relief. Why wouldn't you be allowed to?

Ditto. Lift, clean, place or lift, clean, drop.

About the only time you can't clean is when, for example, your ball lies in the fairway a foot in front of my ball and I ask you to mark it and move it. There are others, of course, but in that case you're not so much getting relief as providing me relief.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ditto. Lift, clean, place or lift, clean, drop.

Ditto....

Rule 21: ... A ball on the putting green may be cleaned when lifted under rule 16-1b. Elsewhere, a ball may be cleaned when lifted except when it has been lifted: a) to determine if it is unfit for play (rule 5-3) b) for identification (rule 12-2) in which case it may be cleaned only to the extent necessary for identification c) because it was assisting or interfering with play (rule 22) .....

Note: This thread is 6085 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!