IGNORED

Vokey SM5

Note: This thread is 3658 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just put two new SM-5's in the bag, replacing my older spin-milled 56/14 and 58/08 with a 56/14 F grind and a 60/11 K grind.  Both chrome.  I absolutely LOVE them both, especially the wide K grind.  I also really like that we're starting to see some higher bounces in the lob wedges.   They have a lot of great options with bounce and grind now, so it's worth spending a little time with them to see what works best for you.

@David in FL and @mvmac .  Now you have me thinking about changing my SM4 58.12 with M grind to the SM5 58.11 K.  One question, what about opening the face with the K grind and flop shots?  Part of the benefit of the M grind was to allow you to open it wide and keep the relative bounce the same due to the relief near the heel.  I don't play a flop that often, but it does come in handy at times.  Does the K grind have that relief?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@David in FL and @mvmac.  Now you have me thinking about changing my SM4 58.12 with M grind to the SM5 58.11 K.  One question, what about opening the face with the K grind and flop shots?  Part of the benefit of the M grind was to allow you to open it wide and keep the relative bounce the same due to the relief near the heel.  I don't play a flop that often, but it does come in handy at times.  Does the K grind have that relief?

No, but I have no problem and all opening it up.  It's also great out of the sand.

I'll tell you.....they are SPINNY too.  I just throw pitches at the pin and they stop.  I can actually back up a pitch from as little as 15 yards or so if I really go at it.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I just put two new SM-5's in the bag, replacing my older spin-milled 56/14 and 58/08 with a 56/14 F grind and a 60/11 K grind.  Both chrome.  I absolutely LOVE them both, especially the wide K grind.  I also really like that we're starting to see some higher bounces in the lob wedges.   They have a lot of great options with bounce and grind now, so it's worth spending a little time with them to see what works best for you.

I agree, I have the 56 and 60 SM5's in K grind and they are perfect for my swing right now given the grounds are pretty soft.  I am considering getting a 56* F grind for when things start to dry out here.

Joe Paradiso

I agree, I have the 56 and 60 SM5's in K grind and they are perfect for my swing right now given the grounds are pretty soft.  I am considering getting a 56* F grind for when things start to dry out here.

We're hard as a rock down here after a winter of little rain.  No problems at all with the grind or the bounce on my 60*.  I didn't think they made the 56* in K grind, that's why I got the F grind for that wedge......

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

We're hard as a rock down here after a winter of little rain.  No problems at all with the grind or the bounce on my 60*.  I didn't think they made the 56* in K grind, that's why I got the F grind for that wedge......

You're right, they don't, my 55* is a TVD-K

Joe Paradiso

My second trip to Dick's was a success. Proud owner of a 56.10 and 60.8, both M grind. Went straight to the course after the purchase. The 60 generates incredible spin. The M grind allows me to open the club up just slightly and stop the ball exactly where it lands. I'm currently gaming the e6. I didn't hit the 56, I spent 2 hours messing with the 60. I got them both in the raw black finish.

My second trip to Dick's was a success. Proud owner of a 56.10 and 60.8, both M grind. Went straight to the course after the purchase. The 60 generates incredible spin. The M grind allows me to open the club up just slightly and stop the ball exactly where it lands. I'm currently gaming the e6. I didn't hit the 56, I spent 2 hours messing with the 60. I got them both in the raw black finish.

Congratz on the new wedges... :beer:

Here is a helpful article @Finley [URL]http://www.golfalot.com/equipment-news/titleist-sm5-wedge-2697.aspx[/URL]

Thanks for the link, adds some understanding for me about the lofts and grinds. I'm liking the details of the S grind for some reason. Maybe I'll wander over to a local store during lunch sometime soon.

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

Spin is rather crazy with the 60. I had to start hitting closer to the hole because of the serious check up. I don't think I will wait as long to replace my wedges again.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I collected mine on Friday, I went with for 46.08 and 50.08 in the F grind and 54.10 and 58.08 in the M grind and I am overly impressed with the M grind. I have been practicing with the 58 from really tight lies and out of bunkers, and you can just open the thing up and just nip it while generating some really good spin. They are great wedges that are very versatile from a verity of different lies and has made shot making easy.

Note: This thread is 3658 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!