IGNORED

Tip for hitting off of range mats

Mizuno1
Note: This thread is 3653 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey all, just thought I would share a quick tip and trick I discovered from hitting off of mats last summer.  I noticed that when I hit off of mats in the drizzling rain that I didn't get any of that green plastic mess on the bottom of my club, so I thought why not just put a bit of water on the mat when it is sunny.  Sure enough, an ounce or two of water put on the range mat (where you strike) will prevent the plastic from adhering to your iron soles!

Another thing I discovered.  Prius floor mats make superb hitting surfaces.  They have rubber spikes on the bottom to keep the mat from moving on the turf, mat, soil etc, and the synthetic material doesn't stick to your club or scratch them.  You can also see where your divots are!

Cheers!

• Upvote 2

The range I go to uses very high quality mats that don't leave your clubs with the green stuff on them. Plus, they are very thich, which makes it easier on my elbows. The owner told me that each mat (5'X5')  costs almost 600.00 ea.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I wish I could say the same about my local range!  Those mats are nasty, I know many others experience a similar issue.  I am sure it is a mat quality issue!

Yep, the range I use to go to years ago had the cheapy type mats. Strans of the mat would get stuck to my clubs, so a through cleaning was in order after each session..

I only use one range with mats and they are quality so no issues for me. Honestly I'd prefer mats all year to abused grass ranges where simply finding half decent footing and a strip of grass is unlikely. My experience is in ignorance and inconsideration is the enemy of grass.

Dave :-)

The range I spend the most time at leaves the green stuff but it rubs off very easily with my thumb.  I have been to other ranges, though, where it isn't quite as easy to remove.

I disagree about the Prius mats though.  They may work well for you, but for me I can get no extension, nor can I get any follow-through, because the shaft bumps into the danged steering wheel!! :-P

• Upvote 1

I just clean the green stuff under running water with the soft bristle side of my golf club brush. The stuff comes off really easily. I clean my clubs before every round; I get all the junk out of the grooves, clean the heads, and wipe down the grips. It's kind of like a ritual of mine, not that it helps with the scores.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Yeah a quick scrub with water and a cloth would get those green plasticy marks off. Also my range has mats maybe 1/2 inch thick just laid onto concrete. Elbows get really sore if i hit more than 20 balls or so.

Just wish i could find a better range where balls aren't £5 for 40.

Henry

Yeah a quick scrub with water and a cloth would get those green plasticy marks off. Also my range has mats maybe 1/2 inch thick just laid onto concrete. Elbows get really sore if i hit more than 20 balls or so. Just wish i could find a better range where balls aren't £5 for 40.

For health reasons, I'd recommend you pay the higher price at a better range. Nothing good can come from hitting off basically green plastic shag carpet laid on too of concrete.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

For health reasons, I'd recommend you pay the higher price at a better range. Nothing good can come from hitting off basically green plastic shag carpet laid on too of concrete.

I think you're right. I do get very jealous though when i see people posting about their grass ranges on here though... don't actually think i've ever come across one here in the UK :-(

Henry

I don't like mats very well but the thick ones are certainly better than have a 1/4" mat over concrete to hit off of.  I believe the thin mats are tough on the clubs and I just don't use ranges that use them.  I would rather not warm up than hit off concrete.

Butch

Note: This thread is 3653 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!