IGNORED

2014 Shell Houston Open Discussion

iacas
Note: This thread is 3643 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Guy shoots 66 on Sunday to force a playoff, then chips in from 35 yards to win, and that's not good for the game?

That's the stuff that makes me tune in on Sunday, even if a "star", has the lead.

Maybe it would have been more exciting if it was actually live. It's hard to escape technology nowadays....most people likely found out who won and when they saw Matt Jones they're likely not going to watch. I know my group of buddies were in that category and turned the channel to baseball at the bar instead of golf. I had to go in the corner on the little tv to watch the tourney.

Been a very disappointing year for golf. I cannot remember a worse way to start off the year pre-Masters. The positives for today that might give us hope for next week is the fact Phil had a good showing and Rory had a good Sunday. But my goodness, we now have guys like Matt Jones, Steven Bodwitch, Matt Every and John Senden in the Masters. The Masters has really never had a "bad champion." Even Weir and Immelman were building up good careers before their win. This could be our first "bad champion" if this virus hits Augusta.

Also, never remember a year where there's more apathy going into the Masters. Even golf fans just don't seem as interested as they usually are.

Could not disagree more......... I think the young talent is great, these guys are not being given the chance to play in the masters..... They earned it,  As for the finish yesterday.... Best I've seen in some time, Guy charged all day and made an awesome shot to win in a playoff, Yeah I guess that sucks..... freakin please,  Do the " Stars " need to step it up.... yeah looks like they better or they may not be stars for long,

Just caught the playoff and final regulation on my DVD. Jones won it rather than Kuch losing it. That was great final putt by Jones just to get into the playoff I think he must have putted from 40 feet away. Then he chip in from something like 40 yards in the playoff. I gonna work on my chipping and putting now

What percentage would you have put on him rinsing that ball on 18 and ultimately losing the tournament if you had bet before he hit his approach??

I would have said 5%.  Unreal.  That definitely changed his mental game for Augusta.  Pretty unreal.

Just caught the playoff and final regulation on my DVD. Jones won it rather than Kuch losing it. That was great final putt by Jones just to get into the playoff I think he must have putted from 40 feet away. Then he chip in from something like 40 yards in the playoff. I gonna work on my chipping and putting now

I think Kuchar lost it and THEN Jones won it.  Two shot lead on the last hole, in the middle of the fairway, and only needing to put it in the center of the green and rinsing the ball is definitely losing it.  However, once provided another opportunity, Jones definitely went into the playoff and won it.

Maybe it would have been more exciting if it was actually live. It's hard to escape technology nowadays....most people likely found out who won and when they saw Matt Jones they're likely not going to watch. I know my group of buddies were in that category and turned the channel to baseball at the bar instead of golf. I had to go in the corner on the little tv to watch the tourney.

This is exactly what happened to me. I couldn't handle waiting and than checked my phone. I still tuned in around playoff time to see how it played out...but it would have been 1000x more exciting live.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

• Administrator

I think Kuchar lost it and THEN Jones won it.  Two shot lead on the last hole, in the middle of the fairway, and only needing to put it in the center of the green and rinsing the ball is definitely losing it.  However, once provided another opportunity, Jones definitely went into the playoff and won it.

I think it was a one-shot lead after Jones finished the hole. He led by one, hit his second in the water, and got up and down for bogey.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think it was a one-shot lead after Jones finished the hole. He led by one, hit his second in the water, and got up and down for bogey.

You're right, but I still call that losing it when you just needed the center of the green.

Note: This thread is 3643 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!