IGNORED

What are Your Thoughts on Component Clubs?

Note: This thread is 3621 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm curious what others think about component clubs.  Would you ever game them over major manufacturer brands?  Do you feel component clubs are inferior to the major brands?

I wanted a club that looked more "player-like", but still provided the forgiveness my current irons provided me.  After some research, I decided to test a Maltby TE Forged 7 iron.  I hit the Maltby side-by-side with my Callaway RAZR X 7 iron and decided to buy the complete Maltby set (4 thru gw).  I've always been a golfer that buys major brands and, to be honest, had never really heard of component brands until last year.  Now that I've tried them (well, Maltby's anyway), I've taken the plunge.  I imagine I'll get snickers from some of the guys in my choose up group when they see them.  They'll sneer that my clubs aren't Mizuno's, Titleist, etc...

What are your thoughts on component clubs?  Would you ever consider them?  Do you feel they perform as well as the major manufacturer's clubs?

Component irons are awesome for keeping your set affordable. I was able to get premium shafts and grips due to the money I saved. The clubs have been fantastic so far, I now have a 3-GW set of the TEs.

That said, Mizunos are something I might spend the money on if I could. I wouldn't gain anything from a performance perspective, but they are aesthetically pleasing and they feel better than anything I've hit. I have an MP68 6 iron and have compared it side by side with my set, and the TEs are way more forgiving, though the MP68 is more buttery when hit in the center.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes I would play them, and I certainly wouldn't worry about what anybody else thought about it.

If they give you any crap just tell them your clubs are built to tighter spec tolerances than theirs are. I'm not sure that's true (but I've read that it is) but they won't know the difference anyhow.

Besides what are they going to say when you beat them. ;-)

Enjoy your clubs! :beer:

One of these days I would like to go to a certified club fitter and have a set of clubs made.

Maltby's clubs are fine, and most component clubs will play just as good as the name brands if you get the shaft that's made for you. However, if you ever want to trade them in, you will find out that they are worthless. You will be lucky to sell them at a garage sale for next to nothing. I've stayed away from component clubs for this very reason.

Component irons are awesome for keeping your set affordable. I was able to get premium shafts and grips due to the money I saved. The clubs have been fantastic so far, I now have a 3-GW set of the TEs. That said, Mizunos are something I might spend the money on if I could. I wouldn't gain anything from a performance perspective, but they are aesthetically pleasing and they feel better than anything I've hit. I have an MP68 6 iron and have compared it side by side with my set, and the TEs are way more forgiving, though the MP68 is more buttery when hit in the center.

I tried to find a negative review of the TE's online, but didn't find a single one. The TE's are similar in terms of forgiveness to my RAZRX's. The main reason I bought them was to be able to play a forgiving club that didn't look/feel like a shovel. [quote name="MS256" url="/t/73601/what-are-your-thoughts-on-component-clubs#post_970207"]Yes I would play them, and I certainly wouldn't worry about what anybody else thought about it. If they give you any crap just tell them your clubs are built to tighter spec tolerances than theirs are. I'm not sure that's true (but I've read that it is) but they won't know the difference anyhow. Besides what are they going to say when you beat them. ;-) Enjoy your clubs! :beer: One of these days I would like to go to a certified club fitter and have a set of clubs made. [/quote] Yeah, I could care less what anyone else thinks. To be honest, I'm guessing none of the guys in my choose up will even notice I'm gaming new clubs. [quote name="Archie Bunker" url="/t/73601/what-are-your-thoughts-on-component-clubs#post_970217"]Maltby's clubs are fine, and most component clubs will play just as good as the name brands if you get the shaft that's made for you. However, if you ever want to trade them in, you will find out that they are worthless. You will be lucky to sell them at a garage sale for next to nothing. I've stayed away from component clubs for this very reason. [/quote] Yeah, these things aren't worth much used... I don't care, though. I've been golfing for 20 years and now am on my third set of irons. I've kept my other two sets (Ping Eye 2's and RAZRX's). With my new TE's, I figure I have 3 usable sets and probably won't shop around for irons for 10+ years... I'm just thinking that there are some golfers out there who would not consider playing component clubs because they aren't a name brand. Heck, before I did some research, I would have probably fallen into that category...

I switched from a mixed Mizuno/Nike set to Maltby about two and a half years ago. I love them. I especially love how affordable it is to make easy changes to my set. I'm going to build a new 7-iron and PW soon to match my set, and take my existing ones out. I'll use the highly used ones (my most common range clubs) at the range, and have newer ones in the bag. Why? I don't know. But it seems like fun and it's very cheap to do so. Plus, the total for a new wedge is... what? $25? $30? Replace them as often as I feel like at that rate. Which isn't very often, but when the bounce starts wearing on my SW, it's onto the next one. Currently, every club in my bag except my driver is a Maltby or GolfWorks club.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Not all components are created equal. If you're thinking about a certain model, see if you can find someone who has played it for a couple of years and how it the head is standing up.

Some club shops will lock onto a mix of open stock heads (particular models that don't change much from year to year) and get a regular clientele of golfers that use them. Also, you may have access to non-mainline golf shafts. Again, some are good, some not so good.

Another factor will be quality of assembly, if you have a small club shop do it for you. Workmanship can range from superb to sloppy.

From 1994 to 2008, I played Pro Tour Black irons (Ping Eye2 clones). Clubmaker fitted them with Dynalite S300 shafts. The heads cost $5 more each than others available ($17 instead of $12, if I remember right), but the clubmaker said they would be more durable. He was right: I played hundreds of rounds with them and practiced frequently, but the grooves never showed much wear.

Pro Tour heads were very popular in the Oklahoma and North Texas region. I frequently came across other golfers who were playing them.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I bought the Maltby forged TE irons when they came out and couldn't be happier. I had a set of forged Titleist (705?) before theses but I prefer the Malty because of the very little offset and thin top line. I just ordered the Maltby driver and it is on back order till end of April so I'll let you know how it is when I get it.

I have never had anyone talk down about my irons especially after I let them hit them. I just find forged irons have better feel and don't think I'll ever switch back to the top name brands. For Driver and Fway woods I may try out a few Pings, TM or Cobras but I like getting a driver with a $250 shaft for under $300.

Have you priced a set of forged Mizuno's or Ping irons? Holy cow!

Good choice on the irons, I'm dying to try out the new forged irons from Maltby but don't think they are going to be any better than the TE's.

Brandon.

I bought the Maltby forged TE irons when they came out and couldn't be happier. I had a set of forged Titleist (705?) before theses but I prefer the Malty because of the very little offset and thin top line. I just ordered the Maltby driver and it is on back order till end of April so I'll let you know how it is when I get it. I have never had anyone talk down about my irons especially after I let them hit them. I just find forged irons have better feel and don't think I'll ever switch back to the top name brands. For Driver and Fway woods I may try out a few Pings, TM or Cobras but I like getting a driver with a $250 shaft for under $300.  Have you priced a set of forged Mizuno's or Ping irons? Holy cow! Good choice on the irons, I'm dying to try out the new forged irons from Maltby but don't think they are going to be any better than the TE's. Brandon.

I'm glad you've had success with the TE's. Like you, I love the thin top line and the minimal offset. I haven't played/practiced much yet, but they feel pretty good so far. The one thing that I've noticed is that, while they are forgiving, you can really tell when you've hit the sweet spot or not. You can't necessarily tell via direction, but you definitely can with distance. My RAZRX's don't lose as much distance on off center hits. I figure, though, that this'll make me a better golfer in the long run. Before, I had no idea if I hit the center of the face. Now, I know immediately... Let me know how you like the driver. I tend to use clubs much longer than most avid golfers and may not be in the market for a number of years, but I'd be interested to see how the driver performs.

Never really messed around with any. I suppose the indie clubmakers I've seen in the area are component guys. Nearly bought a set of Dimension Z irons a few years ago. Fantastic clubs but was concerned about resale/trade compared to the price, just over $500 built the way I wanted them. Getting ready to put a Geek Fail Safe 3 driver into play today. Read lots of good stuff about it. Not sure why other than I won it cheap on ebay. I have a driver I really like already.

Dave :-)

All my woods/ drivers are component, (geek as it happens!) there definitely as good if not better than any other I've hit! And less than half the price! The heads come with a lifetime guarantee if bought new! (Not from eBay) which certainly says something about the build/manufacturer quality!! [quote name="Dave2512" url="/t/73601/what-are-your-thoughts-on-component-clubs#post_971802"]Never really messed around with any. Getting ready to put a Geek Fail Safe 3 driver into play today. Read lots of good stuff about it. Not sure why other than I won it cheap on ebay. I have a driver I really like already. [/quote] I also have a Geek FS3, without doubt the best driver head I've ever used! Forgiving, nice shape and it even sounds beautiful!! I have 3 drivers and I swop out occasionally but when I grip my FS3 i just ooze confidence! Your in for a treat! Just make sure you have a suitable shaft in it for your swing!

Gaz Lee

All my woods/ drivers are component, (geek as it happens!) there definitely as good if not better than any other I've hit! And less than half the price! The heads come with a lifetime guarantee if bought new! (Not from eBay) which certainly says something about the build/manufacturer quality!!

I also have a Geek FS3, without doubt the best driver head I've ever used! Forgiving, nice shape and it even sounds beautiful!!

I have 3 drivers and I swop out occasionally but when I grip my FS3 i just ooze confidence! Your in for a treat! Just make sure you have a suitable shaft in it for your swing!

I hope so, my Bombtech has spoiled me. I have the House Of Forged Express s-flex, feels kind of whippy so we'll see. Love the compact look of the head. the bummer is despite being new it has a small scratch on the crown, was plastic wrapped and had the head cover on it so odd. They offered to replace it but I am too impatient for that, need to play with my new toys. If I like it I am going to put together a Geek 3 wood with a pink NVS shaft and purple grip to annoy the people I play with.

I hope so, my Bombtech has spoiled me. I have the House Of Forged Express s-flex, feels kind of whippy so we'll see. Love the compact look of the head. the bummer is despite being new it has a small scratch on the crown, was plastic wrapped and had the head cover on it so odd. They offered to replace it but I am too impatient for that, need to play with my new toys. If I like it I am going to put together a Geek 3 wood with a pink NVS shaft and purple grip to annoy the people I play with.

Haha I like your style! If your in the uk im selling my geek 3 wood, mint condition, they're great also but I only ever use my 5w! The bomtech is on my list also! Although it don't look as nice the geek heads!

Gaz Lee

Component clubs (ex:maltby) and small companies (ex: reid lockhart) seem legit and cool. I just purchased a set of new reid lockhart blades for 260 on ebay, can't wait to get them!

Clone clubs (ex: most diamond tour clubs) are rip-offs and even if they are well made I would not purchase them because they are practically stealing from the major OEMs.

And I have not looked into it much, but I do not think component clubs are really that great of an idea for anything except irons and maybe wedges. All other clubs can be bought from major OEMs for nearly the same price. (ex: taylormade RBZ drivers are $100 and so are most component drivers).

Those are my thoughts.

All that being said...it is very easy and fun to find used clubs in great shape that are about the same price as component clubs if you are willing to get clubs a few model years old.

[quote name="dwade247" url="/t/73601/what-are-your-thoughts-on-component-clubs#post_972023"] And I have not looked into it much, but I do not think component clubs are really that great of an idea for anything except irons and maybe wedges. All other clubs can be bought from major OEMs for nearly the same price. (ex: taylormade RBZ drivers are $100 and so are most component drivers). ^^ this doesn't make any sense to me! It's alright to buy irons but not woods?? Some component company's that make woods/drivers do so especially to compete in the long drive championships! They are specialty components designed tested and manufactured to be the best at what they do! And often are! I can name component companies that have won world records with their drivers/woods, yet I can't think of a component companies irons that have won an open, tournament, or award of any kind? And I don't know of any oem company's driver that is built to constantly withstand 140mph swings and come with a lifetime guarantee? If anything I would think the exact opposite to what you think! Just my thoughts though! And I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time... Or last!

Gaz Lee

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwade247

And I have not looked into it much, but I do not think component clubs are really that great of an idea for anything except irons and maybe wedges. All other clubs can be bought from major OEMs for nearly the same price. (ex: taylormade RBZ drivers are $100 and so are most component drivers).

^^ this doesn't make any sense to me!

It's alright to buy irons but not woods??

Some component company's that make woods/drivers do so especially to compete in the long drive championships! They are specialty components designed tested and manufactured to be the best at what they do! And often are! I can name component companies that have won world records with their drivers/woods, yet I can't think of a component companies irons that have won an open, tournament, or award of any kind?

And I don't know of any oem company's driver that is built to constantly withstand 140mph swings and come with a lifetime guarantee?

If anything I would think the exact opposite to what you think!

Just my thoughts though! And I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time... Or last!

Ok, like I said I haven't looked into it much. And I look at/purchase component clubs for different reasons than you. You seem to look for something special that you like. I am average in just about everything golf so I look at component clubs because they are cheaper and I know they are going to be just as good for me. When I buy clubs cost is a very important factor and I don't have any need for a club that holds up well with a 140mph swing, nor do I even look for such clubs. Looks like we have just looked for different things in different clubs.

I think a player should play whatever clubs he likes best.

Played 9 with the Geek 10.5 FS3. Very forgiving, maybe the most forgiving driver I have hit. Not sure because I was making better than usual contact today. But I hit 7 of 7 and even the obvious mishits traveled far and in the intended direction. The sound is muted but very cool. Geek FS3 is a winner.

Played 9 with the Geek 10.5 FS3. Very forgiving, maybe the most forgiving driver I have hit. Not sure because I was making better than usual contact today. But I hit 7 of 7 and even the obvious mishits traveled far and in the intended direction. The sound is muted but very cool. Geek FS3 is a winner.

I just knew you'd love it! It couldn't just be me that think it's awesome! Here in the uk Geek are almost unheard of apart from the more serious/ PGA pro type of golfer who are aware of the long drive stuff, I loved the FS3 so much I went and bought their NB AND DCT, again, great driver heads, and yet different beasts altogether! [quote name="dwade247" url="/t/73601/what-are-your-thoughts-on-component-clubs#post_972072"]Ok, like I said I haven't looked into it much. And I look at/purchase component clubs for different reasons than you. You seem to look for something special that you like. I am average in just about everything golf so I look at component clubs because they are cheaper and I know they are going to be just as good for me. When I buy clubs cost is a very important factor and I don't have any need for a club that holds up well with a 140mph swing, nor do I even look for such clubs. Looks like we have just looked for different things in different clubs. I think a player should play whatever clubs he likes best. [/quote] Hey dwade, no worries! I sound like I'm on a soap box, apologies! I can assure you my swing is no where near 140mph, I dream of swinging it 110 at best!! But if you like components, and good drivers, then you should certainly consider a custom made driver, built to your exact specs that will last as long as your swing does! Brand new and yet the price of a bargain basement! I couldn't even use a driver over a year ago, now I've got 3, that I can smash and they all together cost me less than the current latest and greatest oem! Got to be worth consideration!

Gaz Lee

Note: This thread is 3621 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!