IGNORED

Golf Digest cover with Paulina Gretzky

Motley01
Note: This thread is 3619 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by iacas

Sonders played college level golf IIRC.

Yep, Michigan State.  Big 10 Champions when she was on the team.

Quote:

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I think the answer lies in the facts and history, very few people would know who the model was from the LPGA.  There are 12 covers a year, at least one of those covers is dedicated to equipment not a person.  Of the other 11, how many are of PGA pro's that do not already get a lot of media attention.  Golfers get covers if they are well known, won a Major recently or are at least in the Top 25 on PGA.

I consider the Paulina cover in the same way I did the Sonders cover, except Sonders works on the GC, neither belong on a cover because of their golf skills they just look hot (imo).

-  Sonders also works in the industry and is well respected for that work.  She was a D-1 collegiate golfer whose team won the Big-10 Championship while she played.  Possible pro career ruined by a serious knee injury.....playing basketball if I remember correctly.

-  Paulina sleeps with DJ.

I see a little disparity in each of their affiliation with the sport of golf.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not trying to say I find her unattractive, but (and I'm sure this has already been said in here) to put a rail-thin, well-known party girl on the cover of an issue under the guise of "fitness" is pretty freaking lame. "But, but, but ... she has yoga pants and a sports bra!!"

Her fitness quotes in the slideshow I saw online showed how little she knew about the topic too. At least Holly seemed interesting. Paulina came off as an airhead.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

-  Sonders also works in the industry and is well respected for that work.  She was a D-1 collegiate golfer whose team won the Big-10 Championship while she played.  Possible pro career ruined by a serious knee injury.....playing basketball if I remember correctly.

I see a little disparity in each of their affiliation with the sport of golf.....

Guess we'll just agree to disagree :beer:

Joe Paradiso

Guess we'll just agree to disagree

What am I missing?  Other than her relationship with DJ, what affiliation does she have with golf?

In David's bag....

• Administrator
What am I missing?  Other than her relationship with DJ, what affiliation does she have with golf?

Yeah I always find it odd when people "agree to disagree" about facts. :-P

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

She plays golf and she's married to a golfer. By definition, that's an affiliation with the sport.

• Administrator
She plays golf and she's married to a golfer. By definition, that's an affiliation with the sport.

We're not playing six degrees of Kevin Bacon here. That's a pretty light "affiliation."

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Nothing, but she's obviously interested in fitness, which is what the Golf Digest article is about.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

We're not playing six degrees of Kevin Bacon here. That's a pretty light "affiliation."

That's an affiliation though, by definition. You can call it light to fit your stance, which is fine, but it is an affiliation. How much more affiliated does she need to be? I consider myself affiliated with the game of golf as an avid and regular player.

• Administrator
That's an affiliation though, by definition. You can call it light to fit your stance, which is fine, but it is an affiliation. How much more affiliated does she need to be? I consider myself affiliated with the game of golf as an avid and regular player.

To be on the cover? More. Way more. You're calling any affiliation "enough" to fit your position. I don't expect to see you on the cover any time soon. Or Kevin Bacon.

So is my wife.......

And Paulina isn't even married to DJ.

In David's bag....

What about Tiger's trollups?  Are they on the cover next?  They have as much "affiliation" as Paulina.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

To be on the cover? More. Way more.

You're calling any affiliation "enough" to fit your position. I don't expect to see you on the cover any time soon. Or Kevin Bacon.

It's a lot to do with the "$luttiness" of the cover and the subject of the cover.  As well as the insincerity of the "fitness" angle.  If some random, attractive tour wife had a charity geared towards, or simply was really passionate about, fitness, and she was on the cover in a non-provocative way ... just a head shot, or standing there holding a golf club, or whatever ... nobody would care.  There would be no controversy, even though her affiliation with the game would be similar.

If we had a cover with Michelle Wie dressed and posed just like Paulina there, it would still be quite controversial, but it would be a different type of controversy.  And probably a lot more directed at Michelle for choosing to do it, rather than GD for getting her to do it.

• Upvote 1

You're not missing anything, I just don't have a problem with GD having Paulina on the cover, you do.  SI has models in bathing suits as a special issue and no one here whines that the cover or entire issue should dedicated to the WNBA or LPGA.   It's about selling magazines, you won't change my mind and I won't change yours.

Yeah I always find it odd when people "agree to disagree" about facts.

There aren't facts to dispute, it's opinion.  You'd prefer an LPGA player on the cover and I don't have a problem with Paulina being on it.  As you stated in a different thread, I'm entitled to my opinion and you're entitled to yours.

Joe Paradiso

You're not missing anything, I just don't have a problem with GD having Paulina on the cover, you do.  SI has models in bathing suits as a special issue and no one here whines that the cover or entire issue should dedicated to the WNBA or LPGA.   It's about selling magazines, you won't change my mind and I won't change yours.

There aren't facts to dispute, it's opinion.  You'd prefer an LPGA player on the cover and I don't have a problem with Paulina being on it.  As you stated in a different thread, I'm entitled to my opinion and you're entitled to yours.

This is basically how I feel. At this point, there's no "facts" to debate or discuss since this is purely subjective. It also appears as though nobody is changing anyone's mind. I don't care or have a problem with Paulina being on it as I find her attractive and I don't base my purchase on who is on the cover any way. When I ate Wheaties as a kid, I wouldn't not buy the cereal because of the athlete on the box. It was what was inside that was so damn good and kept me coming back for more.

If we had a cover with Michelle Wie dressed and posed just like Paulina there, it would still be quite controversial, but it would be a different type of controversy.  And probably a lot more directed at Michelle for choosing to do it, rather than GD for getting her to do it.

I'd be much happier with that.  You could make an argument that you'd like GD to keep with a positive interpretation of the class and respect we like to associate with golf and not contribute to the cultural issues we've got with women and their bodies and sex and whatnot.  But I'd much rather see an LPGA player (Wie seems too fraught now, maybe some up and comer) who's pretty use a sexy GD cover to get attention for herself (sponsorships!) and the women's game.

As it is, even if you grant that PG is pretty, the fitness issue is a weak excuse to put her on the front.  At least she could actually look like a fitness nut, some sort of CrossFit obsessive or intense amateur triathlete or something.  You can tell just from looking at her that she's just one step above skinny fat.  With that much body showing you can tell if someone's really dedicated to some sort of body related stuff, whether it's dance, yoga, real fitness (i.e., not including low calorie diet plus stair master to stay thin), or some sport.  She most definitely is not.  In fact, in the one roundup of the controversy I read (Yahoo?) she explicitly said she told her dad to stop pressuring her to do sports because she's "a girl".  In 8th grade!!  Doesn't sound like a model amateur athlete and fitness enthusiast...

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Quote:

Originally Posted by David in FL

Guess we'll just agree to disagree

Quote:

Originally Posted by David in FL

All I said was that there was a big disparity between Holly's affiliation with the sport of golf and Paulina's.  You said you disagreed with that disparity.

I'd prefer to see someone actually associated with the sport on the cover.......an association that goes a little deeper than who they're currently sleeping with.  You're right, that's opinion and we can disagree on it.

In David's bag....

Of course you are entitled to your opinion.  No one is debating that.  We are just debating the merits of having this particular woman on the cover.

I think the difference with SI is the swimsuit issue is a defined issue, promoted in advance, for a magazine that covers all sports.  GD is a golf specific and targeted at only golfers.  GD may have gotten a bit of interest boost with this, but in the long run, I fear it will hurt their sales.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 3619 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!