IGNORED

Need help: slice my driver

Note: This thread is 3663 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi,

I'm finding it difficult to hit my driver properly. It's 8.5*, neutral face, 55 gram stiff stock shaft, standard length, 45". Half of my tee shot always slice to the right. Even when I hit it perfectly, it's probably just as far as my 3-wood shot. Is it because of the loft/weight/flex/length?

Btw, I have 3-wood and 5-wood standard stiff shaft and hit them fine. I hit my ProjectX 5.5 on my irons just fine. My old driver is 9.5 regular shaft and I just hit them okay.

TaylorMade RBZ 9° | TaylorMade Burner SF 2.0 16.5° | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Titleist Vokey SM4 56°11 | Cleveland Classic #4

Hi,

I'm finding it difficult to hit my driver properly. It's 8.5*, neutral face, 55 gram stiff stock shaft, standard length, 45". Half of my tee shot always slice to the right. Even when I hit it perfectly, it's probably just as far as my 3-wood shot. Is it because of the loft/weight/flex/length?

Btw, I have 3-wood and 5-wood standard stiff shaft and hit them fine. I hit my ProjectX 5.5 on my irons just fine. My old driver is 9.5 regular shaft and I just hit them okay.

i might recommend upping the loft to 9.5 or 10, it'll put less sidespin on the ball. you might also be coming outside-in on your downswing, putting the spin for a slice on the ball, or you might not be squaring the clubface up at impact since you said that even when you hit it good it goes right. is it a bad slice? or just a fade. good luck. hope this helps

Mike

Titleist 910 D2 8.5deg Driver

Titleist 913 fd 13.5deg 3 Wood

Taylormade RBZ Tour 18deg 5 Wood

Titleist 735 Irons

Titleist Spin Milled 52deg Wedge

Mizuno MP 56deg Wedge

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Putter

i might recommend upping the loft to 9.5 or 10, it'll put less sidespin on the ball. you might also be coming outside-in on your downswing, putting the spin for a slice on the ball, or you might not be squaring the clubface up at impact since you said that even when you hit it good it goes right. is it a bad slice? or just a fade. good luck. hope this helps

Thanks for your prompt reply.

When I hit it good, it goes straight, but just as far as my 3-wood.

When I hit it bad, it goes left. Yes, it's a BAD slice, not just a fade.

TaylorMade RBZ 9° | TaylorMade Burner SF 2.0 16.5° | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Titleist Vokey SM4 56°11 | Cleveland Classic #4

going left for a righty is a hook, not a slice. now i'm confused lol

Mike

Titleist 910 D2 8.5deg Driver

Titleist 913 fd 13.5deg 3 Wood

Taylormade RBZ Tour 18deg 5 Wood

Titleist 735 Irons

Titleist Spin Milled 52deg Wedge

Mizuno MP 56deg Wedge

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Putter

8.5 is not very much loft. Most players fair far better with something around 10.5 or even higher. More loft will "probably" give you more distance and will help a "bit" with the slice (or hook, I'm confused too) but ultimately you may wanna go see a pro and/or post some driver swings in your my swing thread.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for your prompt reply.

When I hit it good, it goes straight, but just as far as my 3-wood.

When I hit it bad, it goes left. Yes, it's a BAD slice, not just a fade.

going left for a righty is a hook, not a slice. now i'm confused lol

Sorry, my mistake. I'm righty. My mishit goes RIGHT, not left.

8.5 is not very much loft. Most players fair far better with something around 10.5 or even higher. More loft will "probably" give you more distance and will help a "bit" with the slice (or hook, I'm confused too) but ultimately you may wanna go see a pro and/or post some driver swings in your my swing thread.

Sorry for the confusion.

Assuming that you have the same swing speed/technique/etc., what is the difference in hitting 8.5/9.5/10.5 driver? Does it affect distance and ball flight significantly?

Assuming that you have the same swing speed/technique/etc., what is the difference in hitting 8.5/9.5/10.5 driver? Does it affect distance and ball flight significantly?

I'm no expert but as I understand it, an 8.5 driver requires a crapload of club head speed to get it airborne enough to create distance, if you don't have that speed it will take off low and come down too early.

As a 27 capper I highly doubt you have the speed and technique to benefit from such a low lofted driver. I would stick to your 3W and shop around for a driver with more loft, ideally one you can get fit for.

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

He's right, I used to struggle with drivers, then I got a 12* loft, cut shorter to 44.25, and wow, I can drive better than most my pals now whereas I used to be the worst! 8.5* loft?? Is that not a putter???

Gaz Lee

You slice the ball because the face is open to your path, the most common slice is the OTT (over the top) swing. If the ball is starting relatively straight then curving to the right the path is the problem.

Read this thread --> http://thesandtrap.com/t/58339/how-did-you-fix-your-slice

5 Simple Keys® Associate

"Golf is not a game of great shots. It's a game of the most accurate misses.

The people who win make the smallest mistakes." - Gene Littler

I play a 9.5* and hit it plenty high. When I hit a fade, it goes very high. My first guess is you're teeing it too low. I tee my ball very high. Slightly more than half the ball is above my driver's crown. I have never popped a drive up when sober. :)

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

The lower the loft the more side spin you create. The stiffer shaft will likely send the ball right if you don't have the swing speed to match the shaft. So to minimise these factors then a regular shafted driver with a higher loft something in the 10 to 12 range would help. I hit an R11 reg shaft set to 11.5 deg and swing my driver at around 95 mph. Unless you consistently swing over 100 mph with the driver I would think you would be a better golfer with reg shafts

Your equipment is not going to change your swing but it can minimise the effects of some swing faults.

According to the head pro at my club most of the amateurs he sees swing outside to in and are therefore prone to slicing the ball.

Like everything it is a question of time and money

How much do you want to spend on equipment and lessons and how many hours do you want to practice?

Sorry for the confusion.

Slightly higher ball flight and more backspin. For slower swing speeds this means more carry. Optimally you would want higher launch lower spin. But adding loft adds spin. Only a few drivers now really offer high enough lofts with built in weighting to take the spin off to counter that.

I would find a driver at least at 10.5 degrees of loft. I would go get some lessons as well to improve your swing.

I'm no expert but as I understand it, an 8.5 driver requires a crapload of club head speed to get it airborne enough to create distance, if you don't have that speed it will take off low and come down too early.

As a 27 capper I highly doubt you have the speed and technique to benefit from such a low lofted driver. I would stick to your 3W and shop around for a driver with more loft, ideally one you can get fit for.

Yes, anything bellow 10.5 degrees of loft you really need to keep the clubhead speed up because the lower loft produces too little spin. Given drivers are changing so that they spin less on higher loft, but most people hit the driver with a downward strike, and have too little loft on the driver.

The lower the loft the more side spin you create. The stiffer shaft will likely send the ball right if you don't have the swing speed to match the shaft. So to minimise these factors then a regular shafted driver with a higher loft something in the 10 to 12 range would help. I hit an R11 reg shaft set to 11.5 deg and swing my driver at around 95 mph. Unless you consistently swing over 100 mph with the driver I would think you would be a better golfer with reg shafts

Your equipment is not going to change your swing but it can minimise the effects of some swing faults.

According to the head pro at my club most of the amateurs he sees swing outside to in and are therefore prone to slicing the ball.

How much do you want to spend on equipment and lessons and how many hours do you want to practice?

Note there is no such thing as side spin. That is only a vector component derived by math. A golf ball only spins on one axis, and it's able to tilt more on a driver due to lower loft. Stiffer shafts don't matter much, and the dispersion can vary depending on the golfer. For me, anything that is not X-stiff and heavy and the ball will miss both right and left because I am trying to time up the strike due to how the club head load. Going to an x-stiff does not cause me to hit it more right. I can hit an X-stiff just as bad right and just as bad left.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Slightly higher ball flight and more backspin. For slower swing speeds this means more carry. Optimally you would want higher launch lower spin. But adding loft adds spin. Only a few drivers now really offer high enough lofts with built in weighting to take the spin off to counter that.

I would find a driver at least at 10.5 degrees of loft. I would go get some lessons as well to improve your swing.

Thanks for your lavish explanation, guys. It cleared up my doubt and confusion.

It seems that I have to stick with 10* driver and regular shaft. I realised that with stiff shaft, I tend to try to overswing and hit the ball as fast/hard as I can, that result in losing balance and control. With regular shaft, I assume that I can swing with 75-85% of my power, but still have the balance and control, right?

I am slicing, but more worrisome is coming in so steep with my drive. The big spin causes my distance to vanish. I'm hitting my driver 50 yards short of where I used to I hit it. I don't know how to correct it.

Note: This thread is 3663 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!