IGNORED

Blocks /holding of the release

Note: This thread is 2871 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You fire your hips when you putt? Lol, do you yell FORE!

Yes I do that I big problem for me and the putt rockets to the other side of the green That why sometime I sense a block coming. I am getting better now. And learn to use my arms only I make more of a gentle draw with my hands and rather than a violent hook motion with my hips now

Its how your suppose to hit up with the putter. You got to fire that left hip up and back to get that putter to ascend.

Yes you are right I hit up with the putter. I feeling that not the best way for me. So I trying to hit down or level. And reserve the hitting up when I'm using the putter from off the green

Yes I do that I big problem for me and the putt rockets to the other side of the green That why sometime I sense a block coming. I am getting better now. And learn to use my arms only I make more of a gentle draw with my hands and rather than a violent hook motion with my hips now

Yeah there shouldn't be too much going on with the hips in the putting stroke.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 year later...
On April 7, 2014 at 5:16:48 PM, mvmac said:

Yeah there shouldn't be too much going on with the hips in the putting stroke.

The past two years I been able to limit my lower body movement in the putting stroke. Largely cured due to the long putter. However trying to go back conventional I'm firing my hips again on the putting green and actually yip again.  

One thing that has helped to to keep my belly button open to my target and steady so it doesn't move during the putting stroke.  Been finding putting with hybrid off the green this method works for now

• 3 months later...
On April 5, 2014 at 7:48 AM, saevel25 said:

I always took blocked shot being that a person got the club stuck behind them due to a falty backswing and or downswing.

Makes sense to me now. I been either hooking left or push to the right with my driver.  I took some video to show that my arms get stuck behind me and I either have to flip thru impact(hook) or thrush my hips and push 

I have been practicing to keep the club in front of me and that has shorten my backswing and given me a higher ball flight . Still push and draw but more control able  as not the massive over draws and push tend to still in the fairway because of greater height 

"Blocks" in my mind isn't exactly the same as pushes   They both go right but with the pushes I trying to intentional draw 

With blocks it's a totally different sequence   I m trying to fade/slice the ball intentionally and "block" so there isn't as much slice 

Edited by dchoye

• 3 months later...

Another update. My driver has been going straight when my game is on, But what I have noticed in myself is my posture and swing gets to upright when Im tired and blocking to the right. Also I tend to get to 'armsy" with my swing when that happens. Trying to develop more strength in my core especially around my hips and spine muscles.

For putting, Im not moving my hips at all now. Trying to just "rock the shoulder" as the primary movement really works for me.

On 4/7/2014 at 6:39 AM, saevel25 said:

Its how your suppose to hit up with the putter. You got to fire that left hip up and back to get that putter to ascend.

I thought all the putting fundamentals stressed a quiet and completely still lower body, with really only the arms moving? Any threads on here about firing the lower hip during the putting stroke? That seems like a sure firewater get the putter offline during the stroke. By playing the ball slightly forward in my stance get the putter to come in flush or up into the ball a  ery slight amount just fine.

In My Bag:

:tmade: 9.5˚ Rocketballz | :callaway: 15˚ X-Hot 3 Wood :tmade: ran TP (3-PW) | :vokey: Vokey 52˚ & 56˚ | :odyssey: White Smoke MC-72 

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Odogesq said:

I thought all the putting fundamentals stressed a quiet and completely still lower body, with really only the arms moving? Any threads on here about firing the lower hip during the putting stroke? That seems like a sure firewater get the putter offline during the stroke. By playing the ball slightly forward in my stance get the putter to come in flush or up into the ball a  ery slight amount just fine.

The post was sarcastic. A joke.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 4/5/2014 at 9:39 AM, RandallT said:

Nobilo just said Phil Mickelson hit a double-cross. That's the opposite of a block, no? Update: double cross is like pic A above for a righty?

You got it! A double cross is when a golfer sets up aiming left, intending to fade the ball into their target. But instead, they close the clubface to the target line and hit a draw instead. Oddly enough, I've never heard of a golfer setting up aiming right, intending to draw the ball to their target but hitting a fade instead accused of the same mistake.

It seems to me that both should be called the same thing since they are mirror images of each other. But the shot to the right ends up being called a "push fade" instead.

14 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

You got it! A double cross is when a golfer sets up aiming left, intending to fade the ball into their target. But instead, they close the clubface to the target line and hit a draw instead. Oddly enough, I've never heard of a golfer setting up aiming right, intending to draw the ball to their target but hitting a fade instead accused of the same mistake.

It seems to me that both should be called the same thing since they are mirror images of each other. But the shot to the right ends up being called a "push fade" instead.

Not odd. It's more normal to fade or slice because most people come OTT. So, most people try to setup to hit a draw and end up with a "normal" slice or fade. :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On 6/3/2016 at 6:08 AM, iacas said:

The post was sarcastic. A joke.

Oh, that makes more sense. Facepalm moment.

In My Bag:

:tmade: 9.5˚ Rocketballz | :callaway: 15˚ X-Hot 3 Wood :tmade: ran TP (3-PW) | :vokey: Vokey 52˚ & 56˚ | :odyssey: White Smoke MC-72 

I hit a couple of double-crosses during my last round. Double-crosses tend to happen on the back 9 starting on 13 after the steep hill climb if I'm walking, or after my back gets tired. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Note: This thread is 2871 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!