IGNORED

Interesting Guardian UK piece on John Daly, what he's up to today.

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3661 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Never knew he never played in the Ryder Cup. Just assumed he did during one of his major win years. Some interesting bits:

Quote:
"I just can't seem to hit fairways right now. I am barely missing them, though. On a lot of these courses now if you miss them, you are just hacking it out. I'm close, I just have to hit more fairways.

Quote:
Last summer, Daly's wrecked right elbow was operated on and had four screws inserted. "I am about 85-years-old on my right side," Daly says. "Getting the elbow done was a great blessing."

Quote:
"Some guys want to do a little more cardio training; I can't see me being allowed to smoke a cigarette on a treadmill. I don't think they will let me into the gym if I do that. Will they?"

LOL, smoking on a treadmill.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/apr/07/john-daly-masters-golf-young-dumb-90s

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

He would have been a great Ryder Cup pick. John Daly is a wysiwyg kind of guy. Very genuine and tragically flawed for his golfing genius. I think any European would have crapped himself playing him. He always swings for the fences. The best match play players, IMO, are those who attitude mirrors his.

—Adam

Article is wrong about one thing: John Daly is the only multiple-major winner to be eligible for the Ryder Cup but never play in it. They said he's the only multiple major winner to not play in it, but Gary Player never did either (for very different reasons).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I always liked John D and enjoyed watching him play.  But he was the maker of his own downfall and it was really a waste of talent.  But I wish him the best and hope he get another chance at glory.

Butch

Article is wrong about one thing: John Daly is the only multiple-major winner to be eligible for the Ryder Cup but never play in it.

They said he's the only multiple major winner to not play in it, but Gary Player never did either (for very different reasons).

Errr, very different reason would be that he is South African and ineligible to play for Europe or the USA!

Errr, very different reason would be that he is South African and ineligible to play for Europe or the USA!

Yeah. Just one of my pet peeves when a statistic listed isn't technically true, but is when you exclude some cases that are obvious to people who follow it closely. John Daly was the only [i]eligible[/i] multiple-major winner who didn't play. This year's Masters has the most first-time participants... other than the 1934 (first) edition.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Note: This thread is 3661 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!