IGNORED

If You Were To Start Over Again!

Note: This thread is 3658 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Seems like that might be a bit overkill. How much can you really change in a week to make the lessons meaningful?

A lot. Especially when you;re just starting off.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

If I were to start over I wouldn't have changed certain things in my swing.  I started playing late in life (mid 20s) and broke par right after my second year playing.  My swing wasn't pretty but, I hit the ball fairly far and very solid.  I got so hung up on making it look better and function better that I went to all kinds of different swing instructors and basically destroyed my swing.  I did have back surgery half way through my 3rd year so that was a big reason why I wanted to make changes to take pressure off.  Anyways long story short it's slowly getting back to where it was before all the changes but, I haven't shot a low round in over a year and have had some unusually high rounds that will sneak in every once in a while.  Also I would have played in alot of tournaments starting off to get use to the tournament rounds.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If I were to start over I wouldn't have changed certain things in my swing.  I started playing late in life (mid 20s) and broke par right after my second year playing.  My swing wasn't pretty but, I hit the ball fairly far and very solid.  I got so hung up on making it look better and function better that I went to all kinds of different swing instructors and basically destroyed my swing.  I did have back surgery half way through my 3rd year so that was a big reason why I wanted to make changes to take pressure off.  Anyways long story short it's slowly getting back to where it was before all the changes but, I haven't shot a low round in over a year and have had some unusually high rounds that will sneak in every once in a while.  Also I would have played in alot of tournaments starting off to get use to the tournament rounds.

Late in life is mid 20's?!? :-X Ouch, I started at 40.

Brands I use:

:tmade::cobra: :titleist: 

In my opinion, starting with the right fundamentals is absolutely key.  I'm only an 8 now off of muscle memory and forming some okay habits and swing thoughts early.  I was actually a better golfer score wise during my first 7-8 years than I am now (given I quit playing for a while and am just getting re-acquainted with the game over the last two years).

I was lucky.  My friend's dad played a lot of golf and would have Golf Magazine's everywhere.  We would just be hanging around the house and I would read some of them before I ever picked up a club (I knew proper grip, posture and basic fundamentals before picking up a club).  When I started (at 15) I had a really simple philosophy - If I keep my left arm straight, my head still (in a bubble) then the clubface would have to come close to where it was when I started. -It also helped that when I started, the only course I really played was a par 3 course where you can't really hit driver - a group of us all got memberships ($100 youth - we cut a few yards to get money) and just played that whole summer - since we played the same course, we would play that you had to hit a bunker on the hole before finishing the hole or you could only use 6 iron and putter that day etc...  we would get creative and try stuff...  That helped a ton and had me shooting in the 70's on occasion on regular courses by the end of my first year

Ironically I only played competitive golf because my baseball coach (who was also the golf coach) told me I got two days out of school for the district tournament and two more days if I was good enough to make the regional tourny - and he heard that I played (little did he know it was only on that little par 3 course)  What 2 days for district, 2 days for regional, 2 for state ---- shoot sign me up and get me out of class!!!!

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

I agree with the lessons. I had my first lesson at about 12 years old. I won a Jr. tournament but then soccer and teenage nonsense came around and I didn't play for years. Picked it up again in college and had a best friend who I would caddie for while trying to qualify for the US open. I even took a golf class my senior year that allowed me free golf rounds. Joined the Peace Corps and went off to Africa. Once again golf took a long absence from my life. Once back in the States I started again and played about twice a week. Got to a 6 handicap. Well..decided to go to medical school and again...7 years of no golf. Finally as of last July my career was stable and my schedule more open for golf time. I'm currently an 8 handicap and struggle with the occasional horrible shots that I can't believe I haven't been able to eradicate. Aside from reading, most of my instruction has been from better players, but no true lessons from any pro since my first at 12 years old. My dad was a great golfer (3 hcp ) but he plays left handed cross handed! He still plays but at 74 he's lost his edge a bit. Besides more lessons from a pro what would I change? I wish I would've kept playing and spent more time playing with my dad throughout the years. I'm finally at my pinnacle of dedication to becoming a good golfer...but my dad is winding down his golfing now. I've traveled the world, dined with kings, ran with elephants. But I truly can't find anything id rather do than roam a golf course with my dad. Golf is the greatest sport there is. No matter when you start. Enjoy yourself and take pride you've taken on the most enormous challenge you'll ever love.
  • Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 3658 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!