IGNORED

Lasered Distance as Public Information

mdl
Note: This thread is 3643 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Minor rules question that I can't find a specific decision about.  I know rule 8-1 and decisions say distance between two objects is public information so it's not a penalty to ask a competitor about it.  My club institutes a local rule in our tournaments that allows the use of range finders (at least I assume they do since something like 2/3 of the guys I've been grouped with have used one!).  It doesn't change the publicness of this information when another player gets that information from a laser during the round, does it?

I was playing a tournament last Thursday with a fun, friendly group where two guys had lasers.  There were a number of times when another player was sitting fairly close to me and took a reading and I asked what they'd gotten.  Everyone in our group agreed that this was still public information and within the rules, but I just wanted to make sure.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

D8-1/2:

Exchanging Distance Information

Information regarding the distance between two objects is public information and not advice. It is therefore permissible for players to exchange information relating to the distance between two objects. For example, a player may ask anyone, including his opponent, fellow-competitor or either of their caddies, the distance between his ball and the hole.

This decision does not say how the distance information has been obtained so you are free to distribute any distance info you get by using a DMD. Also you are free to ask such info. Naturally DMD's have to be allowed by Local Rule in such a case.

Minor rules question that I can't find a specific decision about.  I know rule 8-1 and decisions say distance between two objects is public information so it's not a penalty to ask a competitor about it.  My club institutes a local rule in our tournaments that allows the use of range finders (at least I assume they do since something like 2/3 of the guys I've been grouped with have used one!).  It doesn't change the publicness of this information when another player gets that information from a laser during the round, does it?

I was playing a tournament last Thursday with a fun, friendly group where two guys had lasers.  There were a number of times when another player was sitting fairly close to me and took a reading and I asked what they'd gotten.  Everyone in our group agreed that this was still public information and within the rules, but I just wanted to make sure.

It's just a matter of practicality. A player may ask for and receive distance information from his opponent or fellow-competitor or he may pace it off.

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

It's just a matter of practicality. A player may ask for and receive distance information from his opponent or fellow-competitor [U]or[/U] he may pace it off.

However, the opponent or fellow-competitor is under no obligation to share such information, ie, he can refuse to share it without any penalty.

• Administrator
However, the opponent or fellow-competitor is under no obligation to share such information, ie, he can refuse to share it without any penalty.

And if he does share he can't lie.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I do it all the time in my league play on par 3s at the tee.  I let the other players know the distance to the flag and sometimes the front of the green or hazard.  Same with hazards on other holes off the tee.  They appreciate it.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

And if he does share he can't lie.

Whoa, really?  I've only ever been in situations where it was clear everyone was cool and stand-up so I never questioned whether they were lying or not.  But it's actually illegal for them to lie if you ask?

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

• Administrator
Whoa, really?  I've only ever been in situations where it was clear everyone was cool and stand-up so I never questioned whether they were lying or not.  But it's actually illegal for them to lie if you ask?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3643 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!