IGNORED

What Would Happen if the US Amateur Champion Won the Masters?

AmazingWhacker
Note: This thread is 1102 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What if the us amateur champion wins the masters?  He is an amateur so he gets no prize money.  I'm sure he would get sponsors exemptions - but also as an am, right?.  So let's get crazy and say he gets 3 exemptions and wins 2.  Would he then be required to play on the web.com tour (assuming, of course, he wanted to play pro golf)?

edit . .nevermind, I should've just looked it up.  He gets tour membership if he wins an event.

I'd love to see it, I think it would be fun to see some bright eyed kid whip the field.

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hell freezes over.

With the winter we just had it just might happen.

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

What if the us amateur champion wins the masters?  He is an amateur so he gets no prize money.  I'm sure he would get sponsors exemptions - but also as an am, right?.  So let's get crazy and say he gets 3 exemptions and wins 2.  Would he then be required to play on the web.com tour (assuming, of course, he wanted to play pro golf)?

edit . .nevermind, I should've just looked it up.  He gets tour membership if he wins an event.

If he chose to forego his amateur status he would receive the money wouldn't he?

Joe Paradiso

No prize money would be zero issue, the sponsor deals coming his/her way would be insane.

If we're talking about the typical US Amateur winner that is a college player with aspirations of becoming a pro, then certainly.  What would be more interesting is if the US Mid-Am champion were to win.  Specifically, a guy like Nathan Smith.  Without knowing anything about him, he's clearly a "career" amateur, due to the fact that he's won the Mid-Am 4 times (03, 09, 10, 12).  If somebody wanted any money from endorsement deals, they'd have to turn pro, and I doubt a guy like that, who's obviously at least 36 years old, is planning on turning pro.

That would be a neat story.

Then we'd have to discuss is he the greatest amateur of all time...with who he beat compared to who others beat...back in the day...

Taylormade SLDR 10.5

Ping Anser 4-PW

Ping Anser 52,54,60

Ping G25 3 Wood 15

Ping I20 4 Hybrid

Scotty Cameron GoLo 7

If he chose to forego his amateur status he would receive the money wouldn't he?

No.  An amateur entering an event like that is accepting his invitation as an amateur.  Were he to declare as a professional before the event, he would lose his spot.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

No.  An amateur entering an event like that is accepting his invitation as an amateur.  Were he to declare as a professional before the event, he would lose his spot.

What I wonder about is whether he would have to remain an amateur to take advantage of the lifetime Masters exemption.  If you win the Amateur you have to stay an amateur in order to keep your Masters invitation.  But it would seem a little unfair to me if you lost your lifetime exemption because you turned pro.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Quote:

Originally Posted by David in FL

What I wonder about is whether he would have to remain an amateur to take advantage of the lifetime Masters exemption.  If you win the Amateur you have to stay an amateur in order to keep your Masters invitation.  But it would seem a little unfair to me if you lost your lifetime exemption because you turned pro.

No way.  The exemption is for the victory.  It has nothing to do with amateur/professional status.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

No way.  The exemption is for the victory.  It has nothing to do with amateur/professional status.....

That is what I would have thought, but I'm not really sure.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I believe there's an issue to do with timing, and I assume it would be the same in the US as it would Europe

About 15-20 years ago the then amateur Justin Rose had a good run in the Open before fizzling out, but this issue came to the fore then. He turned Pro the next day (Monday) but entered the Open as an amateur and so that was deemed his status. He didn't get a penny.

On turning professional (with many predicting a stellar career) he proceeded to miss about 25 consecutive cuts!!!

• 6 years later...

Rule 3-1 states an amateur must sign a waiver to excepting any prize money before the event starts. So an amateur could never get paid. If he won he could not change his status to professional and except the $.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Golflife said:

Rule 3-1 states an amateur must sign a waiver to excepting any prize money before the event starts. So an amateur could never get paid. If he won he could not change his status to professional and except the $.

FWIW, you're commenting on a topic that's last seen a response six years ago.

Also, Tiger Woods won the Masters as the reigning U.S. Amateur champion. 🙂 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 1
  • Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• iacas changed the title to What Would Happen if the US Amateur Champion Won the Masters?
On 4/11/2014 at 12:53 PM, FarawayFairways said:

About 15-20 years ago the then amateur Justin Rose had a good run in the Open before fizzling out, but this issue came to the fore then. He turned Pro the next day (Monday) but entered the Open as an amateur and so that was deemed his status. He didn't get a penny.

On turning professional (with many predicting a stellar career) he proceeded to miss about 25 consecutive cuts!!!

This is interesting stuff considering Mr. Rose has had a pretty good career, is currently leading the Masters and is the reigning Olympic champion.

Granted not the Masters, but the last amateur to win on the PGA Tour was 30 years ago.

Edited by RickK

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

Note: This thread is 1102 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!