IGNORED

What would you shoot at Augusta on Sunday?

albatross
Note: This thread is 3634 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think I'd shoot mid to high 70's like a 77 or something.  Length of a course is not a problem for me and i can hit lots of greens in a round.  It'll come down to putting for sure or how close my approaches are.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I definitely think I'd break 100. The problem for me would most likely be the putting, so I'm thinking mid 90's. Possibly a low 90 if I'm lucky. I absolutely think I'd have more 3 putts in that one 18 hole outing than I typically have in a month.

Let's say 126. Here's my thinking: especially because of the length, add one to the par of every hole for what it'd be for me, and then double bogey every hole.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I'm pretty sure if I hit a decent 8 or 9 iron on the 12th, I could hit the green. And possible par it.

As long as the wind isn't swirling, I would think any 15 handicap and lower could par that hole with a good iron shot.

Look at the difference in yards for members tees, and the Masters tees. It would play significantly easier from the members tees?

• Upvote 1

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

My best guess would be 100-115. Since you get a caddie that knows the course I think that would save 5-10 shots. If I had to play without the caddie it would probably be 125-130 range.

Kurt

I have no idea what I'd score but I would sure like to find out someday. I believe I could par a couple of the holes, and I have no doubt I'd double-par a few as well if it was groomed for Sunday play. Raw score would probably be 85-125 right now being realistic. Yes, a range of 40 strokes depending upon how much trouble I got into. I would definitely be playing smart and somewhat cautious and defensive, but I'd also have a go at a few of the holes and try hard for a birdie.

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

I'd like to think I could break 100.  A lot of it would depend on how my driver was working that day.  I've got the distance to hit a short or mid iron approach into all the par 4s except 10 and 11 if I can keep the driver in the short stuff.  Some days the driver is the best club in my bag.  On one of those days I'd like to think I might even be able to shoot lower 90s.  On a less great driver day if I could swallow the ego and leave the driver and 3w out of it and just play for a two putt bogey on all the par 4s (except #3) and on #4, I still think I could break 100.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Look at the difference in yards for members tees, and the Masters tees. It would play significantly easier from the members tees?

An average of 60 fewer yards per hole; I think that makes a big difference, especially with how hard those greens probably are.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Just Sunday course conditions, not pressure, tournament etc....   I'm interested in looking at people's handicaps and then what they think they would actually shoot at Augusta with a tournament setup. I guess I have to start.  I'm about a 15 or 16 right now.  I honestly think I would have trouble breaking 130.  I'm thinking just of all the 4 or 5 putts I would probably hit.  :-) What would you guess you could shoot?

I sure would love to find out!!! I have no idea, but I'm sure I could break 100 if I knew the course well enough

Looking at those distances and knowing my putting skill (or more appropriately lack of skill), I am guessing somewhere around 115-120..

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

My goal would be to break 90, but this is probably not realistic.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I think I'd shoot mid to high 70's like a 77 or something.  Length of a course is not a problem for me and i can hit lots of greens in a round.  It'll come down to putting for sure or how close my approaches are.

LOL...what are you smoking?

• Upvote 1

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I'd probably have trouble on a lot of the slopes, and I'd definitely need help with the greens, but luckily most of the course has little rough and a decent amount of room. I'd be working on my bunker play because I'd probably be in them a lot and I don't play in soft sand. Recovery shots will probably save strokes too. None of the par 3s really scare me and I'd try to get a birdie on one of the par 5s, but I think I'd be lucky to break 100 even with some advice. The length and lack of roll don't hurt me as much as others, and I can reach everything in regulation by the numbers, but the greens and all the really tough holes would take their toll. I'd need to be swinging very freely indeed to get the carry off the tee and the height on approaches to be able to hold the greens.

Bethpage Black or some of the really good major venues scare me a lot more than Augusta because those in contention tend to break par much more often at Augusta than a US Open. I don't think it's as hard a course as many on tour, just really famous. A bit tougher than a local track though.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

OK, having been there, seen where the tee's are, the extent of the gradients on the fairway, the tightness of the tree's and the extraordinary preparation of the greens, I'll go

1. I'll be both pumped and nervous. A crowd of 5000 people are around the tee, plus those who are milling around at the bottom of the dip just from the tee (an area that links the entrance, concessions and driving range to the course) are applauding. I will immediately check my underpants for accidents. No we are fine. I'll select my driver to get up on to the hill to see the green. Pause, relax, softhands, swing in to out...and into the tree's on the left. A decent pine straw lie and I chip it with a 7 iron down the fairway, about 120 to go. Bunt a wedge onto the edge of the green, 3 putt. Mark it 6.

2. Looking down the fairway from the 2nd tee, all you see is the sweep of ground right to left and the bunker in the middle-right. Won't reach that, driver, hit the fairway. Hit a fairway wood down to about 80 yards from the green, Stupid downhill lie for third, skull it into the front left bunker. Sweep out, 3 putt, mark 7.

3. Straight back uphill, use my Adams 1 iron utility. Softhands, in to out swing and on the fairway. 150-ish to go, up hill, some breeze. Hit a slightly thin 7 iron which checks on the fairway (do not laugh, with the right amount of spin and right balls, the fairways will give you backspin at Augusta). Land just off of the green to the right, the pin is on it's Sunday left position. Putt off the green. Two more to get down, mark 5.

4. It just looks stupid. It's so long. And such a small target. Pin on the right. Take a 3 utility, put it in the front bunker. Sweep out, three putt. Mark 5.

5. One utility down the fairway, but **** it, it's gone left and it's in this swale that captures balls just before the bunkering. I can't see the flag. Hit a 6 iron fat, but I'm on the fairway about 40 yards from the pin. Chip up to 20 feet. Three putt. Mark 6.

6. Pin on the top of the par three. Hit a 7 iron sweet, as hard as I can. Ball lands on the elephants head and rolls down to the bottom. Takes me three attempts to get the ball to the top level, and two more to get down. Mark 6.

7. Slash a driver into the left hand tree's, chip out,skull an eight iron into the front bunker. Sweep out pathetically, puffing away as you come up the hill. Three putt. Mark 7.

8. Smash a driver up the hill, still way short of the bunker. Hit my one wood sweet, still 100 yards short of the green. Pin at the back. Fire a 52 degree wedge as high as I can, I pull it left onto the mounding. Chip on to the gree. Two putt (yay). Mark a 6.

9. Try to cut (I'm a lefty) it down the fairway, crash into the left hand trees, scaring the shit out of the patrons. Bunt out using my 3 wood to the bottom of the hill, but it doesn't fully go and I have another skully downhill lie for my third. Take an 8 iron and chip it 80 yards, hit it thin, back of the green. Putt off the green. Three more to get down. Mark 7

Out in 55.

10. Hit a sweet one utility right to left but it goes straight. No matter, the lie of the land slopes down and the ball ends up in a mental sideways, downhill lie. Slice it over the fairway bunkering, left of the green. Chip up, two putt. Mark 5.

11. Stand on the tee and have no idea wtf I am going to do. Take out one utility, hit it fine but short. Can't see the green or the pond on the left. Cart a five iron to the right of the fairway, still 80 yards short of the green. Do not pitch into the pond. Do not pitch into the pond. Do not pi...I'm in the pond. Drop out, chip over the back three putts. Mark an 8.

12. Hit a 7 iron as hard as I can to get it over the pond. Fly the bunker into the crap on the bank. Lost ball. Go back to the tee. Hit an 8 iron into the pond. Chip over the back into the bunker. Splash out too far into the pond. Chip out. three putt. Mark it 10.

13. Slash a driver OOB on the left. Hit a 5 iron up to Phil's tree. Hit another 5 iron just short of the green. Put the ball over the back of the green. 4 putt. Mark it 9.

14. There is no fairway. Hit a one utility and hope for a kindly bounce off of a patrons head. Don't get it. Chip out. Hit a 7 iron to the front of the green, leaving a 30 yarder. 5 putt. Mark an 8.

15. Hit a driver to the left, blocked out. Chip down the fairway, still blocked out. Chip past the trees. Chip over the pond, over the green and down the bank. Chip up to the green, falls short. Putt from 20 yards off of the green, onto the greeen and off of the green into the pond. Chip again, putt three more times.Mark 11.

16. Hit a 7 irons cos that's what all the pro's do. Hit the front right bunker. Splash out, ball is kind. Two putt. Mark 4. AMAZING.

17.Hit a one utility up the hill. Hit a fabulous 6 iron on to the green. 4 Putt. Mark 6.

18. Oh no. I can't hit the ball through that. Totally bottle it, put the driver away and hit a one utility quite well, but still not far enough to get around the corner. Punch a 7 iron trying to curl it around the tree's, bean a patron. Wedge it over the front right bunker to the back of the green. Putt off the green, three more to get down. Mark it 7.

In in 68.

Total of 123 shots, have brought the AN to it's knee's.

That, gentlefolk, is how we would play it.

• Upvote 3

Taylor Made R11S 9 Degree

Callaway X 3 Wood

Taylor Made 3 & 5 Rescue

Mizuno MP57 5-PW

Titleist Vokey 52, 60

Ping Scottsdale Anser

OK, having been there, seen where the tee's are, the extent of the gradients on the fairway, the tightness of the tree's and the extraordinary preparation of the greens, I'll go 1. I'll be both pumped and nervous. A crowd of 5000 people are around the tee, plus those who are milling around at the bottom of the dip just from the tee (an area that links the entrance, concessions and driving range to the course) are applauding. I will immediately check my underpants for accidents. No we are fine. I'll select my driver to get up on to the hill to see the green. Pause, relax, softhands, swing in to out...and into the tree's on the left. A decent pine straw lie and I chip it with a 7 iron down the fairway, about 120 to go. Bunt a wedge onto the edge of the green, 3 putt. Mark it 6. 2. Looking down the fairway from the 2nd tee, all you see is the sweep of ground right to left and the bunker in the middle-right. Won't reach that, driver, hit the fairway. Hit a fairway wood down to about 80 yards from the green, Stupid downhill lie for third, skull it into the front left bunker. Sweep out, 3 putt, mark 7. 3. Straight back uphill, use my Adams 1 iron utility. Softhands, in to out swing and on the fairway. 150-ish to go, up hill, some breeze. Hit a slightly thin 7 iron which checks on the fairway (do not laugh, with the right amount of spin and right balls, the fairways will give you backspin at Augusta). Land just off of the green to the right, the pin is on it's Sunday left position. Putt off the green. Two more to get down, mark 5. 4. It just looks stupid. It's so long. And such a small target. Pin on the right. Take a 3 utility, put it in the front bunker. Sweep out, three putt. Mark 5. 5. One utility down the fairway, but **** it, it's gone left and it's in this swale that captures balls just before the bunkering. I can't see the flag. Hit a 6 iron fat, but I'm on the fairway about 40 yards from the pin. Chip up to 20 feet. Three putt. Mark 6. 6. Pin on the top of the par three. Hit a 7 iron sweet, as hard as I can. Ball lands on the elephants head and rolls down to the bottom. Takes me three attempts to get the ball to the top level, and two more to get down. Mark 6. 7. Slash a driver into the left hand tree's, chip out,skull an eight iron into the front bunker. Sweep out pathetically, puffing away as you come up the hill. Three putt. Mark 7. 8. Smash a driver up the hill, still way short of the bunker. Hit my one wood sweet, still 100 yards short of the green. Pin at the back. Fire a 52 degree wedge as high as I can, I pull it left onto the mounding. Chip on to the gree. Two putt (yay). Mark a 6. 9. Try to cut (I'm a lefty) it down the fairway, crash into the left hand trees, scaring the shit out of the patrons. Bunt out using my 3 wood to the bottom of the hill, but it doesn't fully go and I have another skully downhill lie for my third. Take an 8 iron and chip it 80 yards, hit it thin, back of the green. Putt off the green. Three more to get down. Mark 7 Out in 55. 10. Hit a sweet one utility right to left but it goes straight. No matter, the lie of the land slopes down and the ball ends up in a mental sideways, downhill lie. Slice it over the fairway bunkering, left of the green. Chip up, two putt. Mark 5. 11. Stand on the tee and have no idea wtf I am going to do. Take out one utility, hit it fine but short. Can't see the green or the pond on the left. Cart a five iron to the right of the fairway, still 80 yards short of the green. Do not pitch into the pond. Do not pitch into the pond. Do not pi...I'm in the pond. Drop out, chip over the back three putts. Mark an 8. 12. Hit a 7 iron as hard as I can to get it over the pond. Fly the bunker into the crap on the bank. Lost ball. Go back to the tee. Hit an 8 iron into the pond. Chip over the back into the bunker. Splash out too far into the pond. Chip out. three putt. Mark it 10. 13. Slash a driver OOB on the left. Hit a 5 iron up to Phil's tree. Hit another 5 iron just short of the green. Put the ball over the back of the green. 4 putt. Mark it 9. 14. There is no fairway. Hit a one utility and hope for a kindly bounce off of a patrons head. Don't get it. Chip out. Hit a 7 iron to the front of the green, leaving a 30 yarder. 5 putt. Mark an 8. 15. Hit a driver to the left, blocked out. Chip down the fairway, still blocked out. Chip past the trees. Chip over the pond, over the green and down the bank. Chip up to the green, falls short. Putt from 20 yards off of the green, onto the greeen and off of the green into the pond. Chip again, putt three more times.Mark 11. 16. Hit a 7 irons cos that's what all the pro's do. Hit the front right bunker. Splash out, ball is kind. Two putt. Mark 4. AMAZING. 17.Hit a one utility up the hill. Hit a fabulous 6 iron on to the green. 4 Putt. Mark 6. 18. Oh no. I can't hit the ball through that. Totally bottle it, put the driver away and hit a one utility quite well, but still not far enough to get around the corner. Punch a 7 iron trying to curl it around the tree's, bean a patron. Wedge it over the front right bunker to the back of the green. Putt off the green, three more to get down. Mark it 7. In in 68. Total of 123 shots, have brought the AN to it's knee's. That, gentlefolk, is how we would play it.

I've been there too, and you're probably not far off! :beer:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I played a course out here in Asia and it was 7500 yards from the tips. Couldn't see a rating on the score card but it's by far the hardest course that I have played. I shot 80, 79, 81 and was really happy with the way I played over 3 days, apart from one or two holes!!

If it were Augusta, I'd be looking to break 90, but I'm probably fooling myself..

Note: This thread is 3634 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!