IGNORED

Truth about clubfitting

mmoan2
Note: This thread is 3663 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've only been to clubfitters in box stores like Golfsmith and online using the standard measurement thing, but I usually am told I need irons and wedges that are 1/2 to 3/4 inches longer (I'm 6'2 and my wrist-to-floor is like 37 inches) and upright 2 degrees. I understand that golf is a game of precision and I want the best equipment available, but am I putting myself at that much of a disadvantage if I buy a set of Mizuno MP59s standard/standard that I can get used in excellent or very good shape for about $400? It's tough to find used clubs exactly as I want them to be, and a new custom built set of Mizunos or any other name-brand is $900 minimum. Will using improperly fit irons cause bad habits to creep in?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've only been to clubfitters in box stores like Golfsmith and online using the standard measurement thing, but I usually am told I need irons and wedges that are 1/2 to 3/4 inches longer (I'm 6'2 and my wrist-to-floor is like 37 inches) and upright 2 degrees. I understand that golf is a game of precision and I want the best equipment available, but am I putting myself at that much of a disadvantage if I buy a set of Mizuno MP59s standard/standard that I can get used in excellent or very good shape for about $400? It's tough to find used clubs exactly as I want them to be, and a new custom built set of Mizunos or any other name-brand is $900 minimum. Will using improperly fit irons cause bad habits to creep in?

I don't know if it's a HUGE deal, but having clubs that are fit to you doesn't hurt, that's for sure. Also, you could take the clubs and have them bent upright for about $5 each and the next time you get grips, it'll be easy enough to have them extend the shafts a bit if you want to do that.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I don't know if it's a HUGE deal, but having clubs that are fit to you doesn't hurt, that's for sure. Also, you could take the clubs and have them bent upright for about $5 each and the next time you get grips, it'll be easy enough to have them extend the shafts a bit if you want to do that.

Exactly.  I didn't realize just how little of a difference there is between fitted and not until after I got myself a whole set of fitted irons and wedges.  Just like you, OP, I'm 6-2 (maybe 6-3) and was fitted for irons that were an inch to an inch and a half long and 2 to 3 degrees upright.  Pretty drastically different from standard off the rack clubs, yet if I threw my new clubs away and played my next 20 rounds with my old standard clubs, I would wager that my handicap would hardly go up, if at all.

But for the peace of mind, I think buying the off-the-rack clubs and having the lie adjusted for a modest cost is a perfect compromise.

Maybe this will be of some use to you. I'm 6' wrist to floor is 32" Back in 2000, I was static fitted for irons, I chose the Maxfli revolutions, at that time they built me clubs 3-PW 1" linger, and 1 degree upright.

After my 10+ yr. layoff, I bought some used clubs last Nov. to see if I really wanted to stay in the game, so I bought some Titleist 735CM irons, standard length, what the guy failed to tell me was that the clubs were 2 degree flat..and I didn't realize until I called Titleist.

Can I play with them, yep, but what I have to do is, bend my knees much more than I did back when I was playing. Every now and then, if I forget to get lower to the ball, I wind up catching the toe of the club, and you can guess the rest.

If your buying New clubs, a fitting shouldn't cost you anything, you just have to wait for the clubs to be built, then shipped. My advice would be to get fitted, I think you'll be much happier in the long run, and if you make a bad shot, at least you'll know for sure, it's not the club.

BTW, I'll be getting new irons in a month or 2.

If they are cast clubs be careful getting them bent. Lots of places wont do it or will make you sign a waiver i.e. Golfsmith. Forged no problem. If you special order a cast set after getting fit that's different because they [manufacture] have them already poured at the various lie angles.

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

Note: This thread is 3663 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!