IGNORED

a counter counter-balanced putter....

Note: This thread is 3614 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was aware of the counter-balanced putter craze that is out there as it seems that there are more counter-balanced putter options than ever during my frequent trips to Golfsmith, GG, etc.  I stumbled upon Bridgestone's new line of putters online last week.  I did not even know that they made putters, but apparently they do and are back in the putter market for 2014 by releasing their new true balance line of putters.

I was so intrigued that I had to get one to try out after I read about these putters.  Bridgestone is calling this line a counter counter-balanced putter in that it's the opposite of a counter-balanced putter (isn't that a regular non-counter balanced putter?).  According to Bridgestone a counter counter-balanced putter is one that "Balance point less than 5" from sole provides incredible feel and connection to the putter head, improving speed and distance control".  So this line of putters has a graphite shaft and a foam grip making the shaft and grip super light with all of the weight of the putter being in the head.  And it looked like a cool putter too.  So I ordered one to try it out.

I have not used it in a round yet because it just came on Monday but I brought it to the practice green last night and it was different for sure.  I cannot say if I like it or not yet because its unlike any putter I've ever used.  I wish the foam yellow grip was a bit smaller as I am not a fan of such a fat grip.  I suppose I could change the grip but I'm not sure there is anything that I could change it with that would be as light as the current grip and I do not want to mess with that considering that it's part of the technology of the putter.  The putter actually stands up on it's own, and that is pretty cool because you do not have to lay the putter down near the green and worry about the grip getting wet.

Has anyone heard/tried this putter yet?  What are your thoughts about it?  This technology seems to be completely new as I've never seen anything like this from anyone before where all the weight is in the head and the shaft and grip are so light.

http://www.bridgestonegolf.com/product/clubs/true-balance-putters

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I wanted to try a "counter balance putter" so I hit the work bench.

I have been counter balancing my fishing rods for years, and thus had several weights laying around the shop. I did not want to re-grip my putter just yet, so I could experiment with how much weight I wanted for the best feel.

My solution, was to use a rubber furniture "screw-in foot", replaced the short screw in it with a longer screw to thread the weights on to - screw this all to the butt end of my golf grip then hold it in place more securely with electrical tape.

So far, the results have been outstanding.

Photos below:

Mark Boyd of the Clan Boyd
"Retired in my Dreams"

• Administrator

Cool. So you'll replace the grip and get the same weight in the butt end if you continue to see good results?

That's close but I think it's illegal because it isn't smoothly tapered (or else it would be close to being legal I think).

Good to see you again btw.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

That is the plan ... right now I have 3 ounces on it. Once I figure out for sure what works best, then I will re-grip with the weighting under the grip.

and as far as "illegal" ... I play alone most of the time anyway, so I don't worry much about conforming ... ;-)

I've been around ... more viewing that posting. But thanks for noticing ... B-)

Mark Boyd of the Clan Boyd
"Retired in my Dreams"

Ive actually been really interested in the Bridgestone True Balance but am hesitant to lay down $200 on one without trying it first and I havent found any locally yet.

The concept is certainly interesting and it makes a lot of sense in that you can feel the putterhead better because of how light the grip and shaft are by comparison.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

picked up a Taylor Made 34-38" counterbalanced Spider Daddy Long Legs - really enjoy it. Feel more confident over putts. Feels very solid, balanced. Don't putt/push putts as often ----used to use the White Hot 2 ball.

• 1 month later...

The Bridgestone True Balance Putter really does have its own "feel".  Feel is subjective, so whether you like it or not, it is different.  The balance point (from the sole to the top of the grip) is generally around the neck.  Basically, all you really feel is the standard weight head.  Not subjective is the physics involved and why the putter putts the way it does.  The extremely low balance point encourages the face to return to square (i.e.; the address position) through the impact zone.  The lower the balance point, the more efficient this becomes.  This is important because no matter how you think your putting stroke looks/works, at some point in the take-away, the face opens.  Even if you think you hold the putter square (also called square to square), chances are at the back of your putting stroke the putter face has opened.  Further, the higher the balance point, the more the putter will resist returning to square.  If you keep missing it right, chances are the face never returned to a square position.  While this may sound contrary to what the other manufacturers are saying, raising the balance point  higher as with a counter-balanced putter actually makes it more difficult to putt.

Who here is using a long or belly putter?  Do you know why you putt better with it?  In most cases, it is because an anchored (attached to your body) has to square up at the bottom of the putting stroke.  Using a counter balanced putter, in spite of what some people say, is not the same as anchoring the putter against your body.  The weight above the hands does nothing positive to a putting stroke.  In the last 45 years, counter balance putters have popped up in the market 3 - 5 times.  It always disappears.  If it worked, millions of golfers would probably still be using them.  You also may ask why give up your anchored style?  It's because the USGA has ruled that anchoring a putter no longer conforms to the rules of golf, and after a grace period, an anchored putter will be ineligible for events or clubs that conform to USGA rules.

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to try a "counter balance putter" so I hit the work bench.

I have been counter balancing my fishing rods for years, and thus had several weights laying around the shop. I did not want to re-grip my putter just yet, so I could experiment with how much weight I wanted for the best feel.

My solution, was to use a rubber furniture "screw-in foot", replaced the short screw in it with a longer screw to thread the weights on to - screw this all to the butt end of my golf grip then hold it in place more securely with electrical tape.

So far, the results have been outstanding.

Photos below:

Um, I believe what you created was a counter balanced putter.  Bridgestone markets their line of new putters as counter counter balanced putters.

Update on the Bridgestone putter:  I could not stand that yellow grip that was way too big for my hands.  It was also going to get filthy and disgusting because it was yellow foam.  I cut it off and put a regular winn putter grip on it and I've used it in a few rounds recently and it's a great putter to use on greens that are very fast.

picked up a Taylor Made 34-38" counterbalanced Spider Daddy Long Legs - really enjoy it. Feel more confident over putts. Feels very solid, balanced. Don't putt/push putts as often ----used to use the White Hot 2 ball.

A friend of mine recently purchased I believe the exact same thing.  I putted with it a couple times and loved how solid it felt.

What's in the Bag:
Driver: Taylormade SLDR 12*
3-wood: Taylormade Burner 15*
Hybrid: Taylormade Burner 19*
Irons: Callaway XR

Wedges: Vokey 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Newport Studio

Note: This thread is 3614 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!