IGNORED

Spin

gjwhite
Note: This thread is 6085 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My question is on spin. Specifically, how to put effective backspin on the ball. How much of the equation is the ball, how much of it is the contact, and how much depends on the greens themselves?

I consider myself a fairly strong irons player, but the most I've been able to come up with is a nicely clipped divot with a soft landing ball (even when playing Pro-V1xs).

In my bag:

Driver: Taylor Made R5 Dual-N, Stock stiff, 9.5*
Woods: 3 & 5 wood, Taylor Made Supersteel
Irons: Nike ProCombo, stiff, 3 through pitchingWedges: Wilson Harmonized, 55* SW, 60* LWPutter: Scotty Cameron Newport Studio 2.5Ball: Whatever ends up in my bag

what i do to get my iron spin is to hit the ball first then go down through the ground the divot should start before the ball one more thing prov1s spin more than prov1x's

Chris Nunes,17 yrs old

In My Bag:
Woods:Nike Sasquatch Tour Model (Driver), Nike Sumo 3 wood
Irons: Callaway X-Forged (Project X 6.0)Wedge: Callaway C Grind 58 degree,Titleist Volkey 54 degree (oil can)Putter Cleveland Classic 2 or Scotty Cameron Santa Fe teryllium "Everyday you miss practicing it...

I think a large part of it is technique, i.e., sharp descending blow with the hands ahead of the ball on impact. As Prodigy mentions - "the divot should start before the ball". If you've ever watched those high-speed slow-motion replays on the TV broadcasts, you will see just how far after the ball is struck the pros have their divots, especially with their wedges.

Once you've got the technique, I'm sure having a soft-covered ball helps too.

I think a large part of it is technique, i.e., sharp descending blow with the hands ahead of the ball on impact. As Prodigy mentions - "the divot should start before the ball". If you've ever watched those high-speed slow-motion replays on the TV broadcasts, you will see just how far after the ball is struck the pros have their divots, especially with their wedges.

The divot must start AFTER the ball and bottom out 4" past impact.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

i think that there are two techniques to this see what one works best for you

Chris Nunes,17 yrs old

In My Bag:
Irons: Callaway X-Forged (Project X 6.0)Wedge: Callaway C Grind 58 degree,Titleist Volkey 54 degree (oil can)Putter Cleveland Classic 2 or Scotty Cameron Santa Fe teryllium "Everyday you miss practicing it...

i think that there are two techniques to this see what one works best for you

If you start the divot before you hit the ball, you have hit the ball "fat" and it isn't going to have any real amount of backspin on it. Follow Leek's advise if you want to impart backspin.

As to the original question, all three matter. I'd place contact at the top of the list and then worry about the other two.

if tiger does what i said it must be right?????

Chris Nunes,17 yrs old

In My Bag:

You have to strike the ball at a more oblique angle to the clubface.

Equipment, Setup, Finish, Balance, and Relax. All equal in importance and all dependent on each other. They are the cornerstones of a good golf swing.

if tiger does what i said it must be right?????

Tiger's club touches grass before the ball in that video, but not the ground.

Edit: This SwingVision of KJ Choi shows this better.

but he does not make a divot before the ball now does he?

Chris Nunes,17 yrs old

In My Bag:

Equipment may make a difference but you still should be able to put some spin on the ball even with cheap equipment. I just started playing again after about six or seven years of being off so I am currently using very cheap clubs and Nike Mojos but I am still able to get a little spin on the ball. I went and played with my father-in-law at River Falls in Spartanburg, SC about two weeks ago and on a par three at 165 yard I was able to stop the ball dead. You just have to practice.

Driver:  Speedline 9.5° w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch AXIS Red Shaft
Fairway:  '07 Burner Fairways
Irons:  Apex Edge 3-W

Wedge:  52° & 58° /  60° 588 Satin

Putter:  Anser 4

i think we have been debating over the same thing the whole time ha im confused

Chris Nunes,17 yrs old

In My Bag:

i think we have been debating over the same thing the whole time ha im confused

I believe you are right, lol It sounds like both of you were agreeing the whole time.

Driver:  Speedline 9.5° w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch AXIS Red Shaft
Fairway:  '07 Burner Fairways
Irons:  Apex Edge 3-W

Wedge:  52° & 58° /  60° 588 Satin

Putter:  Anser 4

Note: This thread is 6085 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!